gestational diabetes and rapid heart rate...help — The Bump
3rd Trimester

gestational diabetes and rapid heart rate...help

Yesterday I went to a Dr. appointment. I did not eat anything horrible and I usually eat extremely healthy (My fianc?e won't let me eat anything to bad for you...). My urine test had glucose traces and I got my finger pricked and my blood sugar was 140. And I hadn't eaten in two hours!  I've also gained 30 pounds so far, so, yeah, I'm not staying small... I have to go back for a fasting, 3 hour blood test Thursday morning. I've heard that gestational diabetes does not mean that you will be diabetic after pregnancy. I'm worried that the baby will be huge, I have no idea how to deal with this right now or what happens...

Also, I get anxiety attacks when I get upset about things. I've been very careful, not get upset about "anything".  but, I'm having rapid heart beat. If I get excited or concerned about something (as in, having to come back for the blood tests!) my heart starts racing. I physical feel it race and have to catch my breath. If I walk around for too long or to briskly, it triggers the rapid heart beat, too. I will be wearing the heart monitor for 48 hours and I'm keeping a journal and writing down each time it happens. Please tell me, if you know, could this affect my delivery... is this something they do a c-section for? What else could they do? I cannot imagine if anything starts to go wrong in labor and delivery that I would NOT have anxiety or rapid heart rate...I'm a little freaked out...

Re: gestational diabetes and rapid heart rate...help

• I don't know about the GD, although I have heard it can strike people who have no other risk factors for it.

But the rapid heart rate thing...I get that a lot.  Like as soon as I start to get nervous about any little thing my heartrate skyrockets.  Even something as simple as getting my blood pressure taken makes me nervous and makes my heartrate go up.  I doubt they will give you a c/s for it, unless your monitor shows something else is going on.  At one point during my delivery I was so nervous and worked up (over nothing other than the fact that I was in labor, lol) that the nurse came in and said 'your heartrate is as high is the baby's, whats going on?'  It was nothing other than I was nervous.  I proceeded to have a normal delivery, etc.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First, take a deep breath! Freaking out will not help you at all. Smile

Having gestational diabetes does NOT mean you will develop Type 2 diabetes later in life, but it is true you run an increased risk. It's really more a problem of the placenta inhibiting your body's natural ability to produce and process insulin.

It is manageable, with diet, exercize and sometimes oral meds or insulin.

FWIW, I have GD and my baby is not huge - I have never measured anything but right on schedule, and as of this week, measured a week behind. If you do have GD you'll be monitored pretty closely to make sure your sugars are under control and the baby isn't getting too big, and if necessary, they'll induce you early.

American Diabetes Association and tons of other websites out there have great background info on GD and how it affects pregnancy, you might want to read up some.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice for the GD but I think that attending a birthing class that will have breathing techniques would probably be a really good option for you even if you intend to go with an epi.

I have PVCs that are affected by stress related to my body so my heart goes funky when my anxiety is high. It also acts up if I am having a 'more then BH' contraction now. I have had it for years, though, and I have learned to help "control" it with breathing and calming techniques. My OB knows I have it and has never mentioned the possibility of a c/s because of it. I think you need to learn breathing and calming techniques either way if it is triggered by just a blood test.  I know they gave me meds way back to help control my anxiety which allowed me to manage it and then get off the meds and still continue to manage it and be self aware of what was happening...not sure about during PG though. Talk to your OB about your concern (and take a breath!).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you told your Dr that you're having anxiety attacks?  You should if you haven't already.

GD is primarily caused by the extra hormones.  Your body doesn't process the sugars as well sometimes because of all the extra stuff that is going on.  The vast majority of the time it goes away after delivery, although you do get monitored during the 6 wks post partum, just to make sure it clears up.

I was just dx, it sucks and I cried about it because I'm hormonal, but it's not really that big of a deal.  If you flunk the 3hr test, they will have you met with a nutritionist who will put you on a diet plan to help regulate your sugars.  And you will likely be required to test your sugar everyday.  It's really not as bad as it sounds. 

Out of control GD can cause the baby to grow too large, but that's why they test you.  If you follow the diet and keep your sugars under control, it shouldn't cause any further complications.

It's understandable to worry, but you really need to find a way to calm down, especially if you're having panic attacks. 

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • I was diagnosed with GD recently, just based off the results of my 1 hour test because my numbers were so bad.

Like others have mentioned, you'll have to meet with a nutritionist or diabetes educator, will likely have closer monitoring by your OB or even a referral to a perinatologist, check your blood sugar daily & monitor your diet and exercise.

I was really upset and cried for a couple days when I found out I had GD. The finger pricks haven't been as bad as I thought they'd be though & so far I've been able to keep my numbers within range through diet & exercise. I also haven't gained any more weight in the past 2-3 weeks (I was up 25lbs and started off overweight). Admittedly, it's a pain in the butt, but it's doable. I wasn't thrilled with the nurse educator I met with, but found a lot of good information on the American Diabetes Association website as well as the High-Risk board on the Bump.

As for size of the baby, having GD doesn't necessarily mean that your baby will be huge. My SIL had GD with her most recent pregnancy and the baby was 5lbs, 11oz. So far, my baby has been measuring average. I was a 10-1/2lb. baby myself, yet my mom *didn't* have GD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezerf77:

First, take a deep breath! Freaking out will not help you at all. Smile

Having gestational diabetes does NOT mean you will develop Type 2 diabetes later in life, but it is true you run an increased risk. It's really more a problem of the placenta inhibiting your body's natural ability to produce and process insulin.

It is manageable, with diet, exercize and sometimes oral meds or insulin.

FWIW, I have GD and my baby is not huge - I have never measured anything but right on schedule, and as of this week, measured a week behind. If you do have GD you'll be monitored pretty closely to make sure your sugars are under control and the baby isn't getting too big, and if necessary, they'll induce you early.

American Diabetes Association and tons of other websites out there have great background info on GD and how it affects pregnancy, you might want to read up some.

Yes, this.  It's totally normal to freak out about GD at first (and remember, you don't even know if you have it!).  I'm an otherwise healthy person (normal weight, athletic), and I got it, so it's not like it's a disease you get by being unhealthy, nor is it a sentence to Type 2 diabetes as long as you continue to eat healthfully and exercise.  (Sorry, hot button issue for me).

Anyway, try not to freak yourself out too much.  It's really not a big deal.  My GD is entirely diet-controlled, and I am having a very smooth pregnancy otherwise.  My baby is actually a little on the small side -- measuring in the 15th percentile at 35 weeks.  If you DO have GD, as long as you keep it in control, it does not mean you will have a large baby.

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards