Military Families
Options

Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune?

Are any of you stationed at Camp Lejeune NC? And did any of you give birth at the Naval Hospital? I'm 14 wks pregnant right now and will be going to the Naval Hospital throughout my pregnancy. So far I'm mostly happy with it, I like my doctor, but anytime I've had to call for anything I end up getting the run around and its really frustrating. Just wondering if any of you have had prenatal care and/or given birth here and what your experiences were like.

TIA! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune?

• Options

Tia, I'm currently stationed here and although I have never gone to the Naval Hospital I have quite a few friends who have given birth there and some out in Jacksonville. I would definitely recommend not going to Onslow... have heard they are really awful. The only problems I've heard about the Naval Hospital are when you are calling to schedule a follow-up appt after a triage visit or ER visit. As far as actually giving birth, they have a wonderful Maternity Ward (toured it with a girlfriend) and their nurses seem really nice. If you are having problems with getting appts and/or the help you think you need you should call a Patient Advocate and get their assistance. The Naval Hospital is there to HELP you not run you around.

Hope this helps a little Smile

• Options
    Thank you! It did help. I heard that they re-did the maternity ward recently, but hadn't heard any feedback from anybody who had ever seen it, so I'm glad to hear you liked it! Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I delivered my baby girl and it was such a great experience! the doctors and nurses really help you out a lot. Plus the rooms are so nice and they are great about visitors and you can have so many people in the room when they come visit I have nothing but great things to say about that place!
    Diagnosed PCOS 2005 Put on Metformin 7 long cycles of CLOMID! 2xClomid+Follistim+Ovidrel timeD bd and preseed! Feb2007-BFP! NOv172007 Baby girl Jaylene was BOrn!!! TTC number 2 Natural...wow amazing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So good to know!! Thank you!
  • Options

Are you going to be taking any birthing classes offered by the New Parent Support Program. I highly recommend the Lamaze class. I was my girlfirends partner while our husbands were deployed last year and it was a very educational class. I think it wass only 6 classes, about 2 hours each class. It teaches you breathing techniques, positions to get comfortable, etc. Just overall a really good class to attend. I think you can register at any time but I believe (don't quote me) you don't actually attend the class until your about 6-7 months.

Something to think about!

• Options
    Yes I'm planning on taking as many classes as I can! haha This is our first baby, but I've been a babysitter and a nanny since I was 13 and I'm the oldest of 4 so I've had lots of experience with babies. I even cut one of my brother's cords and was there for his whole birth. Smile So I feel pretty confident about most things, but I know I don't know everything so I'm excited to take classes! I'm looking into the lamaze class at the Naval Hospital, but I definitely want DH to go with me and he's gone on a training mission until I'm 6 1/2 months. So hopefully I can sign up after that. Its all just so exciting! I've had baby fever pretty much my whole life, so I can't wait to finally have my own LO!
  • Options

I had my baby at Naval and had a great experience. I've heard bad stories about both Onslow and Naval to be honest, I think its all a matter of opinion, and each experience is different. I developed high BP and the doctors at the OB clinic took it very seriously..it was annoying having to come in 3 + times a week, but it was also reassuring to know that they were monitoring me and my baby so closely. I had to be induced because my high BP turned into pre-e and the nurses and staff were all wonderful. Labor definitely sucked, but they all bent over backwards to try to make it less miserable.

Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I delivered there and wouldn't change it for anything.  The appointments were not as many as I would have liked towards the end but during the actual delivery the nurses and doctors were AMAZING!  I have heard horror stories about Onslow.

Good Luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! I had only heard feedback from one person before I posted on here, and her feedback was very negative. I'm feeling much better about it now :) So excited to meet my LO!!!! :)
  • Options
    i was stationed at camp lejuene asa female marine. when i was found out i ws prego i went right to naval hospital. and delieved my son with the greatest experience. i loved the staff and all my prental care hope this help
  • Options
    I am delivering at the naval hospital in about 8 weeks, (Maybe less?)  I felt very uneasy about everything until I took the lamaze classes. I was told you have to be at least 30 weeks before starting the classes. The guy that teaches them is a mid-wife at the hospital, and at the last class we will be touring the maternity ward. I was going to try to switch to onslow until we started these classs. They are really good for my husband too, being taught by a man made all the diffence in the world for him!  I HATE trying to get appointments through the phone system!! If you are being seen in family medicine, ask for the direct phone number to the OB coordinator. Good Luck to you and your pregnancy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"