Trying to Get Pregnant

New to TTGP? Read this!

Check out this blog for information also:  https://tbttgp.wordpress.com/ (clicky)

Here is some info that you should read, put together by Riley Grace:

Hi Ladies!  I wrote this post to help those of you who are new to TTC and/or the TTGP board.  My intention is to help you by having a bunch of information all in one post.  Of course, you can learn all of the same things from lurking, but this will save you some time.

First, there is a glossary of abbreviations at the bottom left hand of the page, under all the board names.  You?ll pick up most of the abbreviations from lurking, but if you?re not sure, just ask.

Second, with so many new people joining the board all the time, it?s hard to keep track of who you are.  Please consider adding an avatar picture or a picture into your signature, it makes it so much easier for us to recognize you and get to know you.  You don?t have to use a picture of yourself, add anything you want.  Tinypic.com is an easy way to do this.

Most of the ladies on this board chart using fertilityfriend.com.  Please check that out.  You can access the site by clicking on anyone?s chart link.  FF has amazing tutorials and great FAQs.  Even if you?re not charting your temperatures yet, just tracking your cycle days, cervical mucus or OPKs is very helpful.

If you have charting or temping questions, please check the Fertility Friend frequently asked questions page first.  Most of your questions can be easily found there.

On the Fertility Friend website, go to Sharing and then click on Graphical Ticker. This gives you the path to your actual ticker.  When you look at your signature, replace "My Ovulation Chart" with "[ img ] the path to your ticker you found above [ /img ]"  but you have to take out the quotes and the spaces before and after img and /img. Then cut and paste that info into the following code to your bump profile in the signature section.  <a href=?your FF code here?</a>. You can also select Graphical Tickers under the Sharing tab on FF and click Customize your charting ticker. Click next until it gives you a page with different codes. Copy and paste the HTML code into your bump signature, to get a clicky ticker that leads directly to your chart.

Please do not waste your time using the bump ovulation calendar.  It is useless and will teach you nothing about your body.  This goes for bump tickers as well.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) is a great book that will teach you so much about your body and how it works.  You will see if referenced often on TTGP.

You can order cheap OPKs online from early-pregnancy-tests.com or saveontests.com.  Amazon and ebay have cheap tests as well.  Please check out peeonastick.com for lots of information about how to read tests, there are tons of pictures on that site. 

When the test line is as dark or darker than the control line, it is considered positive and ovulation will most likely happen within the next 12 to 36 hours. Most ladies test twice a day starting around CD12, once in the morning, once in the afternoon. 

When in doubt, hump it out! 

It can take your body 6 mths to a year to adjust after stopping birth control.  If you go 60 days without AF, call your doctor.  A doctor can prescribe Provera to jumpstart your cycle again.  It can take a healthy couple a year to get pregnant.  There is only a 20% chance of getting pregnant each cycle, even when all factors are perfect. 

If you think you are pregnant, take a test.  We can?t tell you if you are pregnant or not, only a test can.  Don?t ever start a post on TTGP asking us if you are pregnant, this will not go over well.

If your period is late, but your tests are all negative, even if you have always had a clockwork cycle, this means that you have ovulated later then usual.  Take a test once a week until you get a +, AF or you hit 60 days. 

Below is a HPT accuracy chart.  We never recommend testing before 14dpo.  If you don?t chart, and therefore don?t know for sure when you ovulated, we suggest that you wait until the day after your longest cycle.  If you test early, be prepared to see a BFN.  Remember, you are never out until AF shows.  Good luck!

HPT accuracy DPO
10 dpo : 35%
11 dpo : 51%
12 dpo : 62%
13 dpo : 68%
14 dpo : 74%
15 dpo : 80%
16 dpo : 88%
17 dpo : 92%
18 dpo : 99%

DON?T TEST EARLY!!!!

If you take a HPT and get a faint line, you are pregnant.  A line is a line for a HPT as long as you check within the testing timeframe.  Congratulations, have a wonderful time on the 1st tri board!

Implantation bleeding is very rare and can only be determined after you get a positive pregnancy test.  If you have spotting, just mark it in your chart and keep your fingers crossed.  It might be the elusive IB, it might be random spotting, it might be the start of AF, only time will tell.

Please don't prop your hips up in the air, stick a pillow under your butt, stand on your head, etc.  All of these activities are just begging for a UTI.  After sex, get up and pee.  All of the smart and strong sperm are already well on their way to the target.  Everything that's leaking out after sex is just the fluid and the dumb ones, go pee!

CD1 is always the first day of red flow.  If you don?t start AF until the evening, it?s still counted as that day.  If AF starts while you are sleeping, you can count CD1 as the next morning.  Do your best to be accurate, but it only really matters when you are doing a medicated cycle.

Green tea helps to increase the amount of CM that you have.  Drink 1-2 cups from CD1-Ovulation.  Don?t drink green tea during the 2ww because it could cause uterine contractions which might impact implantation. 

Also make sure you are drinking the green tea at least 4 hours removed from taking your prenatal vitamin- it can block the absorption of folic acid.

You can also buy PreSeed, a sperm-friendly lube.  You can order this from early-pregnancy-tests.com or by checking the PreSeed website for stores.  This is the only lube safe while ttc, regular lube and saliva can kill sperm.  If you do order preseed, don?t use too much, a little goes a long way!

Fertile CM is either watery or egg white cm.  Watery is literally like water.  Eggwhite cm is the most fertile and literally resembles egg whites.  It can stretch more then 1-2 inches, but the color doesn?t matter, it could be clear, milky or even have some spotting.   

Pomegranate juice can help to thicken your lining which would help with implantation. If you don?t like the flavor, try adding some sparkling water.  Drink 8oz of juice a day from CD1-O.  You can drink it past ovulation, but it won?t impact your lining at that point.

Pineapple core (Bromelain) can help with implantation.  Eat 1/5 of the core from O - 5dpo, but not longer.  Not a ton of people do this, but you can try if you want to.  It's better if you make it into a smoothie.

B6 can help to lengthen your LP.  However, B6 can cause nerve damage in too high of a dose, please check with your Dr before starting this, and have them tell you what dose to take.

Avoid Advil/Motrin (NSAIDs) when you are ttc, they can impact implantation.  Tylenol is best when ttc and pregnant.  If you have a question about any medications while ttc, please ask your Dr.

If you haven?t started taking a prenatal vitamin, do it now!!!  You don?t need an Rx.  I use the Target brand prenatal.

Lurk on the board to learn, Google is your friend!  The TTGP board is a wonderful resource and the women are very knowledgeable but we aren?t a substitute for doing your own research.  When you are ready to participate, please consider posting an introduction.

Welcome and good luck!  I hope this helps you!

DS born 12/2011
DD born 03/2014

Re: New to TTGP? Read this!

• Thanks so much for the great advice. I am new to all of this and a little overwhelmed but definately so excited to be beginning this process and journey.
  • Great post!  I was having a really down day after just getting AF AGAIN with 1+ year of TTC and this info made me feel a little more ready for another round.  Thank you so much!

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! This was very helpful! Yes
  • Wow!  Thanks for taking the time to write this up.  Hubs and I are just beginning to TTC our 2nd child and have to use IVF.  A lot of this is very helpful to know.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Just now seeing this and it is great! Thank you so much for all the information that you have provided.  It's nice to see it all in one spot like that! :)
  • Thank you for the information, very helpful!
  • Very helpful. Thank you!!
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you so much!!  We have only been TTC for 2 cycles now but its still frustrating...  This helped a lot though!!  Thanks again!!

• Wow. I really should have read this before I caused a commotion with a stupid post. Thanks so much for this info!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just want to say that I love this post!  I come back and reference it often.  I was just getting ready to ask a question and then I said oh wait newbie post.  And I have found my answer!
    BabyName Ticker
  • This is definitely a lifesaver, thank you, thank you!!! :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Is it necessary to do the ovulation chart. It seems so confusing to me. And doing temps?
  • imageJunebaby30:
    Is it necessary to do the ovulation chart. It seems so confusing to me. And doing temps?

It's not necessary if you don't want to do it. Women that don't chart their temperatures get pregnant all the time. It will show you if you are ovulating  and when, so if you are not sure of that, charting will be helpful. It will also show you if your LP length is within a normal range.

If you do want to give it a shot, check out www.fertilityfriend.com (or click on any of our tickers). You can sign up for free and they offer tutorials as well. It might seem overwhelming at first, but becomes really easy after a few days.

Good luck!

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Thank you so much - I am at CD 14 of my first cycle off the pill and there was a LOT of useful information there - - you rock!
  • Thanks for writing this! Very useful info.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• Thank you, very helpful! I couldn't figure out what CD1 was. 
  • Thank you! This was VERY helpful!

Question: Has anyone ever heard of using Instead cups to hold sperm in? I found it on another site and apparently you put one in after intercourse and sleep with it in and it supposedly holds the sperm next to your cervix...??? There are also reviews about using the product this way if you google Instead cups... 

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC 2.0
    Surprise BFP! Beta#1:37 Beta#2: 97

TTC 1.0
    IUI #1=BFN
    IUI #2=BFP! Beta#1:87 Beta #2:1050
    ~It's a GIRL!~
    Lily born 10/30/12

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
  • So much information and so many questions answered!  Unfortunately I already made a stupid post about one of the topics covered in here so I apologize but really nervous.  Thanks again for all the wonderful info!
  • imageRicola:

If your period is late, but your tests are all negative, even if you have always had a clockwork cycle, this means that you have ovulated later then usual.  Take a test once a week until you get a +, AF or you hit 60 days. 

This might be a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure you mean wait until 60 days since the first day of your last period? I'm at 52 days since my last period (Oct. 8), and I've had 5 negative tests. I planned on calling the doctor tomorrow to set up an appointment anyway...any other advice is appreciated! Thanks.  Smile

• This is great advice. Thanks SO much!
  • Thank you for compiling this information - it's extremely appreciated!
  • Thank you for this!
    imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mother to DD, born sleeping on 9/28/11, and DS, born 3/12/13, 5lbs 13oz, 19in
  • Ah, so FF means Fertility Friend, not Formula Feeding (as listed in the glossary)!  That makes so much more sense.  I think the glossary might need to be updated.
  • Thank you!  I have been lurking for a while, but this will really help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for posting this!  I have been lurking for a few days, just to see what people are talking about.  It seems like most women have been trying for quite a while, so I know I'll learn lots.  Should I be introducing myself on individual boards before I start posting on them (if I post at all)?  I'm not sure what the etiquette is....  Also, I noticed the TTGP board is mostly for women who are charting.... is there a board for women TTC but not charting, or who just started TTC?
  • Thanks for the information...I posted a question about the green tea and pom juice on another post...Now I know!
    Married since 11/09/07.....TTC since 07/2010.....Diagnosed w/PCOS 02/14/11.....BFP 03/23/2011 :)
  • Thank you so much! I swear I'm not a dumb person... but there is a lot to learn being a new bumpie... ok, did I at least get that right?  We're "bumpies" right?  haha... it's cute!

I'm so excited to meet new TTGP friends here... I'm from mid-Michigan... north of the three cities listed under the Michigan title... closer to Saginaw/Bay City, MI area... Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids are the only cities listed... oh well, I love making friends anywhere... so, Hi!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Started TTC #1 in March, 2011. Surgery to remove tumor in uterus and ovarian cysts on April 13th, 2012. Started TTC again in June. First BFP on August 12th, 2012! Betas on 8-16-12: 878 Progesterone: 8.1 Betas on 8-20-12: 4,772 Progesterone: 6.6 (Put on Prometrium until 13 weeks) BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imageBothMRS:

Thank you so much! I swear I'm not a dumb person... but there is a lot to learn being a new bumpie... ok, did I at least get that right?  We're "bumpies" right?  haha... it's cute!

I'm so excited to meet new TTGP friends here... I'm from mid-Michigan... north of the three cities listed under the Michigan title... closer to Saginaw/Bay City, MI area... Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids are the only cities listed... oh well, I love making friends anywhere... so, Hi!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Welcome to TTGP and merry Christmas to you as well! Please feel free to check out the other 2 links in my siggy to understand the lingo a bit better, I know it helped me in the beginning. :-) You might also want to post an introduction, so people know who you are and get the chance to get to know you :-) Good luck! 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Thank you so much Ricola!  Will do... def!  Big Smile
    Started TTC #1 in March, 2011. Surgery to remove tumor in uterus and ovarian cysts on April 13th, 2012. Started TTC again in June. First BFP on August 12th, 2012! Betas on 8-16-12: 878 Progesterone: 8.1 Betas on 8-20-12: 4,772 Progesterone: 6.6 (Put on Prometrium until 13 weeks) BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Thank you for the info!  Very helpful! :)
  • Fantastic post, tyvm!
  • Thank you so much for this information. It makes this process less daunting. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Hopefully we are only around for a short time!
  • Um, yeah, me too.....  Oops, live and learn!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I just joined the site a couple days ago...priceless information. Thanks!!
  • I loved this post, I'm sooooooooo very excited to start this new chapter in my life!
  • Hello! I am new to this whole world of TTGP and am on this site all the time, I love it! I just had a couple of questions. My husband and I have just recently decided to start TTC. The last 6 months or so I have been tracking my periods and the cycle length is never the same, it fluctuates between 24 and 27 days. I figured since I never know when I'm starting my period it would help for me to get an OPK, I never had an LH surge detected, so I used an ovulation calendar to try and predict ovulation. About a week after I thought I was supposed to have ovulated I started having horrible pains near my right ovary and people were telling me it's pain from ovualting.....is this true? I have never had any type of pain like that before so it was scary for me. The OPK I bought only had 7 tests in it, should I try a different one that has more tests in it this next month? I know we've only just started TTC but it's already very frustrating for me that I can't even predict the best day of the month for us to conceive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
  • imageanfairless:
    Hello! I am new to this whole world of TTGP and am on this site all the time, I love it! I just had a couple of questions. My husband and I have just recently decided to start TTC. The last 6 months or so I have been tracking my periods and the cycle length is never the same, it fluctuates between 24 and 27 days. I figured since I never know when I'm starting my period it would help for me to get an OPK, I never had an LH surge detected, so I used an ovulation calendar to try and predict ovulation. About a week after I thought I was supposed to have ovulated I started having horrible pains near my right ovary and people were telling me it's pain from ovualting.....is this true? I have never had any type of pain like that before so it was scary for me. The OPK I bought only had 7 tests in it, should I try a different one that has more tests in it this next month? I know we've only just started TTC but it's already very frustrating for me that I can't even predict the best day of the month for us to conceive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I just ordered 40 OPK's on amazon, they are good and cheap. Ovulation can cause cramps/pain, yes. Ovulation calendars don't really tell you much, since they assume you have a 28 day cycle and ovulate on day 14, which is rarely the case. I would suggest that you check out www.fertilityfriend.com (or click on any of our tickers). There you can read all about charting your temperatures and fertility signs (CM, CP and so on). If you don't want to chart temperatures and/or the OPK's don't work out for you, you could always have sex EOD, that way you are covered no matter what.

If you plan on staying around on the board, I would also like to suggest to get an avatar and/or siggy picture, so people can recognize you easier. Maybe you want to write an intro, too, so people know your story and get a chance to know you.

Good luck!

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• This is great information. Thanks for putting all of this info together!
    imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
  • Thanks for all of the helpful information... I am prone to UTI's and I was one of those people sticking the pillow under my butt trying to get pregnant... I know now from talking to my doctor that I have to go to the bathroom after intercourse, but I wish I would have known that before I asked them... lol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"