Two Under 2

Optimizing chances for 2U2?

Yeah, jumping the gun here, seeing as how #1 is still percolating, but I wanted you ladies' tips/advice for this.

H and I actually want 3-4 kids, which is a challenge since my 32nd b-day is like 3 weeks after my due date.  In addition to feeling strongly that our kids will be better off if closer in age; and wanting to minimize my SAHM years...  I have PCOS  and my grandma had menopause at 40, so medically there's also pressure to get a move on. We're planning to start trying for #2 in late spring/early summer of 2011.

Those who planned 2U2 - what are your tips on doing things during pregnancy, during birth, and immediately after to optimize chances of a second BFP shortly after?  ie, is it safe to breastfeed while TTC?

Our OB's only caution was that I'm "very" anemic now at 30 weeks pg, in which case he wouldn't support our trying again until we resolve that issue.

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!

Re: Optimizing chances for 2U2?

• We didn't plan 2u2, but I can comment on your anemia issue. I was severely anemic with DD1, almost to the point of blood transfusion after her birth. I got pregnant with our surprise baby when DD1 was 5 1/2 months old and I have had almost no problems with anemia this time. The initial anemia was corrected by the time DD1 was about 6 weeks old. Hope this happens for you too.
  • imagetebaa8:
    We didn't plan 2u2, but I can comment on your anemia issue. I was severely anemic with DD1, almost to the point of blood transfusion after her birth. I got pregnant with our surprise baby when DD1 was 5 1/2 months old and I have had almost no problems with anemia this time. The initial anemia was corrected by the time DD1 was about 6 weeks old. Hope this happens for you too.

BLOOD TRANSFUSION?!  OMG!  Did you have any sign beforehand that things were that drastic?

I'm just frustrated because I've been eating SO MUCH red meat in the second and third trimesters (on top of freaking $2/day prescription prenatals)... I have downed a 32 oz porterhouse on more than one occasion.   Haha, vestiges of teenage rebellion... I only allowed poultry growing up.

**Rushes off to reheat some leftover beef from last night**

• Loading the player...
  • We didn't plan to- we just didn't plan not to. I was on the mini pill for the first 6 months of DD life and breast feeding. I am still bfing and happily 6 weeks pregnant. I have talked to 2 nurses and a midwife- all agree that it is totally safe for me to bf while pregnant. No problems unless one has a history of miscarriage or premature labor. Also- the bc effect of bfing are pretty much null as soon as any out foods/formula are introduced. GL! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm just LOLing at the amount of beef you are eating! I was anemic too during my first pregnancy and I just took an iron supplement. (I'm not flaming, it just sounds funny!)

Anyway, DS was about 9 months old when I got pg (I think...I never had a period after he was born). I don't have any tips b/c he was a surprise, but good luck!

I know a lot of women bf and TTC, but I also know that a lot of women don't ovulate if they are Ebf'ing so that might hold you up to getting pg right away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AEG - I'd actually eaten all that steak before I was tested for anemia.  I was just craving it.  I'm not sure if my OB was being melodramatic about the anemia or not... I have heard of some tweeking out about 2U3, so I wasn't sure if our 2U2 aspirations played a role.

Hocus - plan was to start in June or July (when our son is 4 or 5 mos old) so it would be 2 under 18M at the closest. 

• imageaeg*5/11/07:

I know a lot of women bf and TTC, but I also know that a lot of women don't ovulate if they are Ebf'ing so that might hold you up to getting pg right away.

This.

If you want to maximize your chances you'll need to determine if you're even ovulating while you're still BF'ing.

If you're not ovulating then weaning will dramatically increase your chances. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We never used any form of birth control after DD1 was born. I was trying to 2u2 but unlike with DD1, I didn't get pregnant right away this time. We were having unprotected sex the whole time but started trying more around 6 months. When she was a year I started charting and found out that I was indeed ovulating. I just got a BFP in Nov, and DD is 17months. so, I say it took us about 14 months so conceive this time. I pumped for 6 months so I think it took a little while for my fertility to come back. Personally, If you don't bf it will probably be easier to get pregnant right away (although as pp said you can get pregnant while breastfeeding). I would never put off breastfeeding in hopes to TTC again, because I just feel like breast milk is so important I would want to give it if I could in any way. However, that is every mother's personal decision.

I'm not quite 2U2, DD will be a little less than 26mo. when #2 is born.

I recommend after the first 2-3 months to start charting, which you can learn all about right now. If you really want to optimize your chances, sign up at fertilityfriend.com (FREE) and take the tutorials. All you do is buy a basal body thermometer and take your temp every morning after at least 3 consecutive hrs of sleep, and before you get out of bed or do anything. You record your temps, and look at your cm when you wipe and record when you have fertile cm. You can also take ovulation tests around suspected O time and record those. This way, you are able to see (although not 100%) if you are ovulating, and can also use this to time sex, know exactly how far along you are if you DO get pregnant, make sure there are no defects in your cycle length if you aren't getting pregnant, etc. It's really good for piece of mind. Good luck!! I hope you get your 2U2!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have any advice as I didn't do anything special to have 2u2. I was only able to BF for 3 weeks with DD due to supply issues and got my first PP period 7 weeks after she was born. We used condoms only until DD was 4 months old and then stopped preventing altogether after that point. We started officially TTC #2 in November while charting and got pregnant right away.

Good luck!
  • We weren't actually trying, but got a BFP anyway.  We have our first OB app a week from today to see how far along we are.  I BF DS until two weeks after his 1st b-day.  I never got my cycle back, in fact the last one was Dec 2008.  I know BF can make it more difficult, but it appears you can still get your BFP without having AF return.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am also planning on hopefully TTC in late Jan/ early Feb when DS is 6 months old.  I spoke with my doctor and she thinks I'm good to go.  I have received AF so I know i'm ovulating.  She pretty much said continue to take my mulit-vitamins but didn't offer any other advise besides that.

goodluck to you!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"