VBAC
Options

New to the board

Hello!  I was induced at 41 weeks with my son.  He didn't tolerate pitocin well and I failed to progress once they turned it down.  They kept flipping me around in the bed to try to get his heart rate stabilized and nothing was working.  I'm really hoping for a VBAC with my second baby.  The c-section experience itself was horrible as was the recovery, and it took me a long time to get over it emotionally.  Hoping to hear positive stories here as I start contemplating #2.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New to the board

• Options
    Is it okay if I tag my introduction on here? I just found out that I'm pregnant again 9 months after having a c-section with my son. I'm really hoping for a VBAC but I'm not sure what my chances are or if there is anything I should do to optimize my chances of finding a doctor who is supportive, etc. If anybody has suggestions or good VBAC resources, please let me know.
  • Options
    Welcome to both of you. A supportive doctor or midwife is essential. The first thing I did was to call the surrounding hospitals ( L&D) and find out which doctor's delivered VBAC there. Then you can get the numbers of those doctors and start calling around. you should ask alot of questions about how they treat VBACs. If it is much different form normal RUN! You want someone who knows that VBACs do not need to be treated specially. Time restrictions and interventions are your wirst enemy and your dr should be on board with that. If no dr. seems to be on board 100% then start loooking at midwifes. ( or you can do that first if your comfortable) I had a whole list of questions when I was interviewing, but I would have to find it! ; )
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

welcome to you both!  I agree with PP that a supportive provider is key!  I aso agree that as a VBAC, you shoudn't really be treated much differently than any other woman.

When I was planning my first VBAC, I decided I didn't want a surgeon (OB) for my care.  I wasn't planning on having surgery so I looked for a midwife.  I found one who seemed supportive of VBAC and had a hospital VBAC.  It was an amazing, life changing, experience for my and my husband.

I would also look for a support group, like ICAN.  The ladies there will have tons of info on local stuff.  Also, I think having a doula is great.  They sort of have an inside look on how hospitals work and what really goes on so they can probably help guide you to the most VBAC friendly place.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you both for the tips!  I did some googling and found what appears to be the most talked about VBAC-friendly midwife group in my city, and called to make an appt.  When I talked to the scheduling person and mentioned that I wanted to discuss VBAC (not pregnant yet), she told me I would need to see the OB in their practice when I do get pregnant again.  I googled him and women had good things to say, but why would the standard be to immediately shift me to the OB?  This doctor also does VBA2C and seems to be quite supportive from what I've read, but at the end of the day I think I might have better luck with a midwife.

I do also plan to investigate doulas, ICAN support, reading, etc.  I am willing to do just about anything to avoid a repeat of my last experience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"