VBAC

if you've already had a VBAC...

does the c-section stigma go away?  Or does it follow you no matter what?

I just found out we're expecting #3 (!).  I had a succesful VBAC with my DD, so of course going to go for that again.  My Doctor and hospital were both pretty supportive-but I'm thinking of going the midwife route to make it even easier this time.  Any experience?

this is the first time I've posted here, so if anyone wants to ask about my VBAC feel free!  I love to talk about it!

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11

Re: if you've already had a VBAC...

• I haven't had a VBAC but it seems like the stigma does persist a lot of the time--look at what happened with Joy Szabo.  Studies show that the risk of UR goes way down after you've had one VBAC, but a lot of providers still treat women the same as if they were having a primary VBAC.  But there are definitely supportive providers out there and I encourage you to look into the midwife options in your area.  

I would love to hear about your VBAC and also about your c/s. :) 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, it does.  I VBACed successfully with a midwife but she did warn me at my 6 week follow-up appt. that I will always be considered a VBAC (higher risk) and the VBAC rules will always apply to me for future pregnancies.  Congrats on #3! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • It stays with you.  Every appointment I had for interviewing a new provider this go around started with "So I see you've had a c-section."  Yeah, almost six years ago, followed by a successful VBAC people.  One Dr asked if I wanted to just go ahead and do the section this time around since my labors seemed to "drag along".  He was met with a :blink blink: and handshake from my H as I packed my *** and left.

I did go with a midwife this go around, and she has be great. 

• yea, once you have had a c/s it is like you wear a scarlet letter for the rest of your life it seems.  Sort of sucks, especially since, as PP stated your risk of rupture goes down (it is actually lower once you have had a VBAC than it is for a first time mom!)

I would love to hear your story too!  I love a good VBAC story Smile

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, my doctor said I will be considered another VBAC this time around too, once you have had a c/s it seems to follow you forever..
    Kelly Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only improvement I know of is that in Texas you can not have a 1st vbac at a birthing center. But after you have had a vbac, you can have your next one at a birthing center.
    - Jena
  • imagejen5/03:
    The only improvement I know of is that in Texas you can not have a 1st vbac at a birthing center. But after you have had a vbac, you can have your next one at a birthing center.

I was going to say this, too. In IL, homebirth midwives (well, once CPMs are legalized, hopefully soon!) can't attend primary HBACs, but once you've had a VBAC, you can have them attend any subsequent HBACs. Not cool, but not totally horrible...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"