School-Aged Children
Options

WDYT re Board of Education

-->

Mandating HIV/AIDS Lessons for children Grades K-12. (They will Address the nature of the disese,"methods of transmission" and "Methods of prevention"

My son is in Kindergarten. I think mandating this for this age group is VERY innapropriate what do you think? you can only opt "Methods of Prevention". But all the others lessons are mandated.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: WDYT re Board of Education

• Options
    I wouldn't care too much but I work in medicine so I am pretty straight forward with my kids about stuff like that to begin with. I agree with Auntie, ask for the program in advance. If you knew what they would cover you could do some education at home as well prior to the program so that your kiddo still go the info he needs from you and isn't startled by it at school. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a feeling that it would be fairly age-appropriate. Your kindergartener probably won't get a talk about needle-sharing and condoms.  I would probably be fine with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's fine.  They won't talk about safe sex at that age.  It's important to educate children about making safe choices.
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

I'd ask to see the lesson plan before I got my panties in a bunch. Chances are they're teaching kids to not share toothbrushes or razors or become blood brothers at this point. I doubt they're breaking out the condoms and bananas just yet.

This.

Get a look at the specifics before you let your blood boil too badly about this.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    In our county, these lessons are done with parent approval the year before they are implemented.  I agree with pp that you should check out the cirriculum before you come to any conclusions.  It is probably something along the lines of how do we treat others when they are sick and severity of diseases (how we distinguish between the flu and more serious conditions).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your board should give you the opportunity to preview the curriculum and materials before it's taught. If they are teaching it to all ages, the idea of HIV/AIDS being transmitted sexually wouldn't be brought up until much later. It would cover things such as bodily fluids/blood, etc. and also teach them not to be afraid of people with the disease, etc. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The district is doing it to help make the children aware of the disease and how to prevent its transmission, not to teach them about sex or sharing needles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"