Health & Exercise

Meeting Calorie Needs

Hi Ladies--I'm sure this has been covered but I'm curious, does anyone struggle w/meeting their daily calorie needs?  I'm a runner & love yoga so I typically eat anywhere between 1500-1700 cals per day to keep my weight in check.  From what I've researched, I need to increase that by around 300-500 cals or so.  Any advice?  I'm only 5wks so I assume that the hunger will come naturally?  Right now, I'm not any hungrier than normal!  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meeting Calorie Needs

• I didn't count calories at all during pregnancy and was pretty close to on track -- I gained 20 lbs and had a healthy 7 lb/4 ounce baby.  I wasn't really any hungrier during the first trimester and didn't really start gaining weight until the 2nd trimester.  Always check with your doctor if you're concerned, but for me I just ate when I was hungry and that worked out fine.  Good luck with your pregnancy! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks JG--I was kind of thinking that my body knows what to do & if I get hungry, eat!  I'll keep in mind to lay off the calorie counting; it's just hard when you've done it for so long!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a runner as well. I continued to run throughout pregnancy, although slower pace and shorter distances. I also mixed in light weights and cardio atleast one day a week.

I gained 20 lbs, and delivered a healthy 7lb 4 oz baby. Within two weeks of his birth, I had lost 15 lbs, and I suspect I may hang onto the last 5 lbs until I am done breastfeeding or until I start working out again (hoping to ease into it starting next week), which is fine with me. I can fit in all my pre-pregnancy clothes at this point.

I did track my calories, although not very diligently. I think one of the most important peices for me was to weigh myself frequently at home. If I were to have only weighed myself at my appointments, I think it would have been very easy to get off track and since you don't really ever want to try to lose weight during pregnancy (provided you're at a normal weight to begin with) it would have made keeping my weight gain to a minimum difficult.

I ate about 2000 - 2200 calories daily, but only really tracked when I saw big jumps in my weight, just to be sure the jumps were due to the baby growing, not to me over-eating. I would say you should add in some protein sources that are also good sources of calories/fat, like cheese, eggs and dairy. Also, try snacking every 2 hours or so (just a small snack like 200 - 250 calories) to help you get your total number up.

Good luck, and have a safe and happy pregnancy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"