High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fingertip dilated/contractions at 26 weeks?

Good Morning Ladies! Last week I went to the doctor after an excessive amount of BHs. I was a finger tip dilated last week. Ffn was negative of course! Doctor said he wouldn't put me on bedrest until I reach 2 cm. I'm still having contractions, sometimes they're 2-3 minutes apart for over an hour. Anyone experience this?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Fingertip dilated/contractions at 26 weeks?

• Options

I had contractions 2 miutes apart when I was admitted to the hospital for placenta abruption. They had to be stopped with medicine. I was 27 weeks

I am on bedrest, but mostly for the abruption.

I continue to have a ton of BH's.  sunday night I had them for about 4 hours. They were 3 minutes apart. I finally went to bed and they setteled down.

I had an NST the next morning and they were gone.

My doctor's guideline is 4-6 per hour AND increasing in intensity or pain.

Looking back I should have gone in to get check out sunday night, but blaaaah. I hate going to L&D.

I would ask them what their guideline is for you so you know when you need to go back in and get checked out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

I had contractions 2 miutes apart when I was admitted to the hospital for placenta abruption. They had to be stopped with medicine. I was 27 weeks

I continue to have a ton of BH's.  sunday night I had them for about 4 hours. They were 3 minutes apart. I finally went to bed and they setteled down.

Looking back I should have gone in to get check out sunday night, but blaaaah. I hate going to L&D.

I would ask them what their guideline is for you so you know when you need to go back in and get checked out.

That's why I keep avoiding going to L&D. I told DH I don't want to keep going for false alarms. How did you know that you were having placental abruption? Did you have any pain? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsB0701:
    imageSarahTx5701:

That's why I keep avoiding going to L&D. I told DH I don't want to keep going for false alarms. How did you know that you were having placental abruption? Did you have any pain? 

Well I had been spotting the whole pregnancy with never an explanation.

I had been to L&D twice for stupid spotting but it was always nothing. At 27 weeks I had a big bleed, soaked a pad and passing clots.

The cannot see the abruption on u/s(only 25% of them even show up) but based on my bleeding, and some slightly elevated labwork, plus the pre-term labor I went into,  that was the diagnosis. I had no pain other than the terrible back pain that started once the contractions started. (back pain is also a sign since depending on where the bleed is the collection of it inside the uterus can cause pain and contractions)

• Options

I spent Thanksgiving night in L&D for the same thing - contracting every 2 minutes, finger tip dilated.  They stopped the contractions and sent me home the next day with orders to take it easy and see my doctor this week. 

I'm still finger tip dilated, but the contractions have stopped (still have lot of BH though).  We aren't sure what caused mine, but think I had a bad stomach bug that caused nausea/diahhrea (sp?) which dehydrated me and caused the contractions. 

• Options

It is okay to go to L&D for false alarms.  I was there probably two to three times a week for a couple of weeks till my doctors got my meds up to the correct level to reduce my contractions to an amount they were comfortable with.

I was embarrassed and talked to my doctors about it. They reminded me that preterm labor can be a really tricky thing, that if they don't do cervical checks they have no way of knowing if your cervix is changing.  My doctors really don't want anyone to ever show up in preterm labor more dilated than a couple of cm's, it is much hard to stop the more dilated you are. They also reminded me that not all babies handle the preterm contractions well, anytime you are contracting a lot you can also be reducing the blood flow from the placenta, some babies do just fine, some do not, but how would they know without monitoring (fetal heart tones, growth checks, NST's, BPP, kick counts).  

Thomas ~ 07/07/2008 ~ 8 lbs, 5 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

What's in my camera bag: Nikon D5000, Kit Lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 28-75mm, SB 600 Speedlight

Global Developmental Delay consisting of a receptive language delay and self help skills delay

• Options
    imageLydiaE2:

It is okay to go to L&D for false alarms.  I was there probably two to three times a week for a couple of weeks till my doctors got my meds up to the correct level to reduce my contractions to an amount they were comfortable with.

I was embarrassed and talked to my doctors about it. They reminded me that preterm labor can be a really tricky thing, that if they don't do cervical checks they have no way of knowing if your cervix is changing.  My doctors really don't want anyone to ever show up in preterm labor more dilated than a couple of cm's, it is much hard to stop the more dilated you are. They also reminded me that not all babies handle the preterm contractions well, anytime you are contracting a lot you can also be reducing the blood flow from the placenta, some babies do just fine, some do not, but how would they know without monitoring (fetal heart tones, growth checks, NST's, BPP, kick counts).  

This is really great info and a great reminder to not feel silly.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"