Breastfeeding

nipple shape during BF?

I'm not sure if LO is having a hard time staying latched because my nipple isn't long enough or doesn't keep it's shape, but it seems like when she pulls off, it's flattened and almost slanted. She takes the whole thing in her mouth most of the time, but occasionally just takes the nipple and sorta chews on it. Is it supposed to be hard when they nurse or stay soft but sticking out a little? I have no idea how to ask that question and have it make sense! Hope it worked!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: nipple shape during BF?

• my nipple sometimes comes out flat.  i met with a LC (for other concerns) and she examined LOs mouth and discovered that she has a really high palate so she needs to take in more of my breast than most LOs.  not saying that is what your issue is, just saying its a possibility.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Rolling my nipple first sometimes helped LO latch. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • AHH!  Do NOT allow her to take your nipple and chew on it!  That's a bad habit that can lead to nipple damage and pain!  Take it right out of her mouth if she does that! 

My nipple used to come out looking a little slanted/flat and it helped when my LC told us to do an asymmetrical latch.  You have your nipple almost to LO's nose (in the cross cradle position is easiest to see) and then as she opens up really wide, use your thumb to push your nipple (from the top) down and into her mouth.  Hope that makes sense.  Ideally though your nipple should come out looking round and be soft and elongated from the sucking. 

If you have any doubts, contact an LC before you get any damage and any pain!  most are covered by insurance and totally worth it! 

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • imagecarpozi:

AHH!  Do NOT allow her to take your nipple and chew on it!  That's a bad habit that can lead to nipple damage and pain!  Take it right out of her mouth if she does that! 

My nipple used to come out looking a little slanted/flat and it helped when my LC told us to do an asymmetrical latch.  You have your nipple almost to LO's nose (in the cross cradle position is easiest to see) and then as she opens up really wide, use your thumb to push your nipple (from the top) down and into her mouth.  Hope that makes sense.  Ideally though your nipple should come out looking round and be soft and elongated from the sucking. 

If you have any doubts, contact an LC before you get any damage and any pain!  most are covered by insurance and totally worth it! 

hmmm I'll have to try that. Gonna call my hospital's LC tomorrow and find out about working with them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"