1st Trimester
Options

He isn't showing much excitement...

Hi!

We found out Thanksgiving Day that we were pregnant.  I'm completely shocked because I figured it would take us a lot longer to get pregnant given my medical history.  We got married October 16th (together for 5 yrs) and here we are a month and a half later pregnant.  I'm super excited because I've always wanted to be a mom, but I think DH is well maybe not as excited.  Is this normal?  I figured I'd get a little more enthusiasm from him. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I just need a little bit of reassurance.  He says he's happy but I guess I feel like he's not showing it as much as I thought he would.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: He isn't showing much excitement...

• Options

In the beginning, it can take a long time for it to feel real - especially for guys that don't feel any of the symptoms

He'll come around, just give it time for the news to sink in  :) 

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    imageBecky262:

In the beginning, it can take a long time for it to feel real - especially for guys that don't feel any of the symptoms

This....it is really different for the guys since they don't get any of the symptoms. Dh got more excited when he could feel DS move around in my belly

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBecky262:

This.

Just think, us girls have the immediate excitement because we get to take the tests, schedule the appointments, etc.   DH is along for the ride...until it gets going.  Give him a few days.

imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With our first baby, my husband didn't show any excitement until he heard our baby's heartbeat. For men, I think they have a hard time grasping the idea they're going to be a father. They don't have the symptoms/ feelings that women experience. Keep your head up! He'll be excited soon :))
  • Options

They are not as in tune with every change, symptom, craving, etc. we are having. It's a lot more remote/disconnected for him. My DH was happy we were pregnant with DS but honestly until he was born I didn't see DH totally elated. But it was love at first sight and he is a wonderful, devoted daddy.

• Options

I told my husband immediatetly the morning I found out and I didn't get the reaction I wanted either.  He went to work, I played hookie due to complete excitement), but when he got home he said that he thought we should call  our moms, still not showing the enthusiasm I had, but little by little he started to mirror my excitement.  At seven weeks he suggested taking pictures of my not yet existing baby bump and soon after started talking to the baby.  All my friends think he is adorable now.  Cherry on top, today we saw our baby and he cried :)  He will get there!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    My husband didn't react the way I wanted him to at first either.  He said he didn't want to get his hopes up until we knew for sure (I tested twice before my MP) so after my MP I took a digital that said PREGNANT!  Now he's excited!
  • Options

Your DH will come around, it will just take time to sink in. For us it can become more "in your face" because we peed on the stick and may have symptoms. Your DH's life hasn't really changed that much beyond knowing his wife is pregnant. Things may become more real for him when the appts start rolling in, he hears the heartbeat, things need to be bought, feels him/her moving, ect.

Also, some men just don't get excited about PG in general, they are more excited for what will come from the pregnancy. My DH is one of them that doesn't get excited about the pregnancy but is excited for his son to arrive.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

To quote Juno:  " A woman becomes a mother when she becomes pregnant, and a man becomes a father when he see's his baby"

give it time girl..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I know the feeling. DH was sleeping when I took the test, and went back to sleep right after I woke him up to tell him!

I think it's starting to sink in, because I'm getting more hugs from behind with his hands where the baby is, and he's actually starting to get into discussions about baby things.

We have an u/s on Monday, when I'll be 11w3d, so it will actually LOOK like a baby (last u/s was at 6w3d, so not much more than a blob). I expect to see more of a reaction at this one!

• Options
    Thank you so much! All of you made me feel a lot better!! :o) I'm really looking forward to his excitement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"