Special Needs

Tubie Moms

DD has had a Mic-key for about a month now and we are dealing with our first case of granulation tissue.  We are going to the GI tomorrow to have it treated with silver nitrate, but what have you found helpful in preventing it from growing in the first place?  Thanks!

Re: Tubie Moms

• I don't have any experience with Mic-key buttons, but I just had to tell you that the holiday picture of your DD might be one of the cutest Christmas pictures I have ever seen.  She is beautiful!!!

(Now I hope you get some good advice!)

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We use My Button Buddies instead of gauze and it has made a huge difference. There is no redness or granulation tissue. It diminishes the rubbing that causes the granulation tissue and it is absorbent so that any ooze doesn't go on the skin and cause irritation. Not to mention that they are really cute! I know they don't work for everyone, but we LOVE them. You can get them at www.mybuttonbuddies.com. 

Also, as PP said, that picture of your daughter is adorable!! She is so cute!

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks y'all--I think she is pretty cute too :)

We use my version of a button buddy (same basic materials, but made by me instead) but we still got the dreaded GT :(  

• The granulation tissue was a big problem for us too. The silver nitrate works but it comes back if you don't do it all the time. We were doing it every other day.

The only thing that REALLY helped was Triamcinolon cream. We put it on 2 times a day, and within 2 weeks it was gone and hasn't come back.

*knock on wood* it hasn't come back.

The GI dr wrote the RX for the cream, the surgeon wasn't thrilled about it, but we had to do what worked.  

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • imageKathW:

The granulation tissue was a big problem for us too. The silver nitrate works but it comes back if you don't do it all the time. We were doing it every other day.

The only thing that REALLY helped was Triamcinolon cream. We put it on 2 times a day, and within 2 weeks it was gone and hasn't come back.

*knock on wood* it hasn't come back.

The GI dr wrote the RX for the cream, the surgeon wasn't thrilled about it, but we had to do what worked.  

Thanks!  I read about Triamcinolon and put it on the list of things for DH to ask about today since he is taking LA to the GI.  I also read about calmoseptine.  Any experience with that?  It is over-the-counter.

• No, we didn't try that one. 

The one problem we had bad after the Granulation was under control was leaking. The leaking was so bad, we changed button sizes 2 times before we got one small enough that it didn't leak.

oh, and your daughter is Gorgeous! 

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Triamcinolone is a steriod cream, whereas Calmoseptine is a barrier cream. I've seen Triamcinolone use for G-Tube granulation tissue and eczema b/c it works on inflammation.  I've see Calmoseptine used more for diaper rash--I'm guessing it would be helpful more for a leaky G-Tube to prevent skin breakdown.  I'd talk to your GI  Good luck!
    K + F (Married 9/13/2008) Rainbow baby due 10/2/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"