Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

I don't understand the excuses for FF

2»

Re: I don't understand the excuses for FF

• imageEchowysp:
    imageSage Mommy:
    imageEchowysp:
    imageSage Mommy:

We're supposed to be putting them in car seats? I thought that's what seatbelts were for.

Wow, I learn something new here everyday. If it weren't for the bump and people like the OP, I'd have no idea how to be a parent.

Well, to be honest, if it weren't for the Bump, I wouldn't have known about RFing.  It's only the last few months that I saw any literature to RF until 2 given out.  I know quite a few of my RL friends aren't aware of the new suggestions and go by what they are told by their mothers or friends with older kids.

Oh and I call BS on the ones saying that they don't care about anyone else's parenting choices because it doesn't affect them. I think most people have judgments about parenting choices they see people make.

Obviously people can get useful information here. This post just rubbed me the wrong way too early in the morning.

And an eta instead of quoting wellfleet: I get emotional over children starving, freezing and being abused. Carseats, not so much.

I wouldn't say I get emotional about it, but I do admit to thinking it's lame and pretty stupid to not follow an easy and basic safety procedure.  I think some people have valid reasons to do the bare minimum legally, but many do it just because that's what was done for years and it's hard to change. 

Echo, I didn't say you were getting emotional about. It was the tone of the OP. FWIW I think many things people do are stupid. Stick out tongue

• imageSage Mommy:

Echo, I didn't say you were getting emotional about. It was the tone of the OP. FWIW I think many things people do are stupid. Stick out tongue

I also agree with this. 

• Loading the player...
  • DS is FF in both cars now bc he was so scrunched up and visibly uncomfortable RF. I'm pretty sure none of us sat RF, or even in a full on car seat, when we were this age and we're all here to argue about it now.
  • imageSage Mommy:
    imageEchowysp:
    imageSage Mommy:
    imageEchowysp:
    imageSage Mommy:

We're supposed to be putting them in car seats? I thought that's what seatbelts were for.

Wow, I learn something new here everyday. If it weren't for the bump and people like the OP, I'd have no idea how to be a parent.

Well, to be honest, if it weren't for the Bump, I wouldn't have known about RFing.  It's only the last few months that I saw any literature to RF until 2 given out.  I know quite a few of my RL friends aren't aware of the new suggestions and go by what they are told by their mothers or friends with older kids.

Oh and I call BS on the ones saying that they don't care about anyone else's parenting choices because it doesn't affect them. I think most people have judgments about parenting choices they see people make.

Obviously people can get useful information here. This post just rubbed me the wrong way too early in the morning.

And an eta instead of quoting wellfleet: I get emotional over children starving, freezing and being abused. Carseats, not so much.

I wouldn't say I get emotional about it, but I do admit to thinking it's lame and pretty stupid to not follow an easy and basic safety procedure.  I think some people have valid reasons to do the bare minimum legally, but many do it just because that's what was done for years and it's hard to change. 

Oh, I know you weren't saying I was emotional about it.  I was just saying that I agree with a lot of what OP was saying, even if I'm not "emotional" about the topic.  

• I FF my kids because I don't love them enough to RF
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• imageKristin131:
    I'm pretty sure none of us sat RF, or even in a full on car seat, when we were this age and we're all here to argue about it now.

Look, make your own decision with whatever information you choose to make it with, but this is just dumb. There are many things that were considered the norm in the past that people are taking a closer look at today due to medical, scientific and technological advances and this argument holds little to no water.  

• imageKristin131:
    DS is FF in both cars now bc he was so scrunched up and visibly uncomfortable RF. I'm pretty sure none of us sat RF, or even in a full on car seat, when we were this age and we're all here to argue about it now.

Has it occurred to you that there might be more of us to argue about it now if there had been some safety standards in place 30 years ago? I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest argument, ever. 

• imageBetsyDavis:

imageamandopolis:
    I honestly wonder how you would feel about this if your child screamed the way that mine does every.single.time. we get in the car.

This 

indeed.

spend two hours in the car every. single. effing. day. with a screaming toddler & then see how you feel.

• imageEchowysp:

Actually, this is true for me, too; I learned about ERFing from the Bump, and I also have IRL friends who are unaware of the recommendation to ERF. 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageKristin131:
    DS is FF in both cars now bc he was so scrunched up and visibly uncomfortable RF. I'm pretty sure none of us sat RF, or even in a full on car seat, when we were this age and we're all here to argue about it now.

Has it occurred to you that there might be more of us to argue about it now if there had been some safety standards in place 30 years ago? I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest argument, ever. 

And totally ditto this! Think about the fact that there really are peers of ours who are not here to argue about it because they were in car accidents without a car seat and died. 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • OP, If you are so passionate about the subject what have you done in real life to help educate others?  Have you considered becoming a car seat tech and volunteering to educate parents by holding classes at local hospitals, churches, daycares etc.   Have you put together informational packets and distributed them to pedi's offices?   Have you raised money to help people buy safer carseats that they can't afford?  Bitching on the internet is pointless.  If you are that upset about it get off your keyboard and do something about it.  
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageKristin131:

Yeah, it's not about those who survived, it's about those who didn't. But y'all know this is one of my hot issues. And I own my judgement, but I am quite certain there are things I do that others judge. The way of the world :) nobody is perfect in the eyes of others.
  • imageTurbid:
    Whether it's "he cries when RF" or "his legs touch the back of the seat when RF" or "he's too heavy to get in and out of the car when RF" or "my car is too small and awkward" etc., etc., etc. I'm not usually one to spout out judgmental parenting choices, but are all of these excuses more important than the proven safety of your child? Are they more important than reducing the risk of serious neck and spinal injures, which puts your child at a higher risk of paralysis in the event of a catastrophic accident? Riding in a car is a risk in itself. I wonder if you FF people think it just won't happen to you? This is by far the hottest topic for me on this site and I really get upset about it.

Can I ask what one should do for a child that is 40lb 5oz & 36in tall at 12months old?

I have spoken with my pedi in length about if we should keep DD RF longer, & even the Pedi said that the risks out weigh the benefits for a child DD size. They also do not make an Affordable RF car seat for a child that big. By Affordable I mean, that I can not spend over $150 for a car seat..

So what should I do???

• imageKristin131:

I was going to stay out of this thread until I read this. This is stupid, and I hope you know it. The only reason any of us are to argue about it is because we were lucky enough to have not been in a major accident when we were younger, or if we were, were lucky enough to somehow have survived. Think about the ones who are NOT here today to argue about it because they did NOT survive. As we learn more about what's safest, our laws and safety recommendations change. I'm sure most of our parents were doing for us what was the safest known thing at the time.

FWIW, what's "visibly uncomfortable" for you is not a big deal for LOs. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagenikki123108:

imageTurbid:
    Whether it's "he cries when RF" or "his legs touch the back of the seat when RF" or "he's too heavy to get in and out of the car when RF" or "my car is too small and awkward" etc., etc., etc. I'm not usually one to spout out judgmental parenting choices, but are all of these excuses more important than the proven safety of your child? Are they more important than reducing the risk of serious neck and spinal injures, which puts your child at a higher risk of paralysis in the event of a catastrophic accident? Riding in a car is a risk in itself. I wonder if you FF people think it just won't happen to you? This is by far the hottest topic for me on this site and I really get upset about it.

Can I ask what one should do for a child that is 40lb 5oz & 36in tall at 12months old?

I have spoken with my pedi in length about if we should keep DD RF longer, & even the Pedi said that the risks out weigh the benefits for a child DD size. They also do not make an Affordable RF car seat for a child that big. By Affordable I mean, that I can not spend over $150 for a car seat..

So what should I do???

40lbs is the highest RFing limit I've seen on any seat. I don't think you really have a choice, unfortunately.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagesunnyday016:
    imagenikki123108:

imageTurbid:

So what should I do???

40lbs is the highest RFing limit I've seen on any seat. I don't think you really have a choice, unfortunately.

Holy crap.  That's the biggest 1 year old I've ever heard of.  My "little" guy is 32 pounds and 32 inches at 12 months and he's off the charts in both categories.  

I sincerely hope your daughter is walking.  Carrying my son around is enough to send me into back spasms by the end of the day.  Wow.  

Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • My son has a bad case of motion sickness.  He's been on Dramamine for it since he was 6 months old.  Every car ride from 6mos to 12mos involved him screaming until he vomited, and then screaming again.  It was a nightmare.  Really.  And I don't think it's safe, because it's hard, as a driver, to listen to that and focus on the road.  We tried everything to calm him and the only thing that worked was stopping the car.  It practically isolated us for those 6 months (I could only handle short drives with him).  Ugh.

At one year, I gladly turned him around to FF.  He still gets sick sometimes in the car at almost 18mo, but he isn't screaming the whole drive, which is much safer because I can concentrate on the road.  FWIW, he was 28lbs at one year.  Yes, I had every intention of ERF, but I didn't know DS was going to be so carsick.

I know my case is not the norm, but there are valid excuses for FF at age one.  Don't just assume that someone is ignorant and making a bad parenting decision because they don't do ERF.  For us, the only other choices were not take him anywhere, or continue RF while he screamed and vomited, along with dry heaving, for the entire duration of the car ride.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagenikki123108:

imageTurbid:

So what should I do???

Omigoodness!  My back aches for you!  DS was 28lb at 12mo and I was in physical therapy for my back.  He's 33lb now at 18mo, and I thought he was a big kid.  Wowsers!

And I agree with you.  You have a valid reason to FF your DD.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageKristin131:

I hate this argument. It diminshes and devalues all the childeren who aren't here because of what our parents didn't know. I'm not saying that they didn't do they best they could but 30 years later we know a lot more about car safety. Our parents all put us to sleep on our tummy's as newborns because that was the recomendation but since it has changed to putting babies to sleep on their backs SIDS has gone down 50%. Should we stick with tummy's because "we're all here"?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imageMSUMamaof2:
    imagesunnyday016:
    imagenikki123108:

So what should I do???

Holy crap.  That's the biggest 1 year old I've ever heard of.  My "little" guy is 32 pounds and 32 inches at 12 months and he's off the charts in both categories.  

I sincerely hope your daughter is walking.  Carrying my son around is enough to send me into back spasms by the end of the day.  Wow.  

She is way off the charts, but very healthy. She has also been walking since she was 10months old.

Holding her kills my back!

DH & I made the decision that at 1 year old with her weight & height it was time to FF. I wanted to keep her RF as long as possible, but we still have not found a car seat that will go RF with her weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"