Nurseries and Baby Gear

Painting unfinished wood dresser

Just wondering if anyone has tips on painting wooden furniture.  I bought an unfinished wood dresser for the baby's room and plan on painting it a bright green color.  I was curious if you used a primer first (what type?)  or if you think it would be fine to use a paint/primer in one?  Did you use an oil or water based paint?  any other tips i should know?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Painting unfinished wood dresser

• Latex paints are much easier to work with than oil-based, especially for beginners.  Also make sure to have a good paint brush (I prefer Purdy brand brushes).

Even if it's unfinished wood, I'd make sure to sand it lightly first and then clean it very well (tack cloth works great and you can find it in the painting aisle at Lowes or HD).  You can probably get away with one coat of primer, lightly sanding after priming if necessary.  Then, paint with 2 coats of paint, lightly sanding in between coats. 

I'd probably finish it off with a top coat of matte polyurethane just to make sure the paint finish stays fresh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageIU_baby:

Latex paints are much easier to work with than oil-based, especially for beginners.  Also make sure to have a good paint brush (I prefer Purdy brand brushes).

Even if it's unfinished wood, I'd make sure to sand it lightly first and then clean it very well (tack cloth works great and you can find it in the painting aisle at Lowes or HD).  You can probably get away with one coat of primer, lightly sanding after priming if necessary.  Then, paint with 2 coats of paint, lightly sanding in between coats. 

I'd probably finish it off with a top coat of matte polyurethane just to make sure the paint finish stays fresh.

An all purpose primer will work just fine. If you have a local Sherwin Williams, they will be able to help you in picking out the correct products. We are in the process of refinishing an antique dresser for the baby's room, we intend on painting it white.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married Bio

• Loading the player...
  • I actually just talked to someone at Sherwin Williams about this today while I was picking up swatches. She said to sand regardless of whether it's unfinished or finished, prime with any all purpose primer, and use their pro-classic enamel. It's still latex based but she said without a doubt it's what they recommend for furniture.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • We painted an antique dresser for our nursery a few weeks ago and just sanded it down, spray primed it w/ kiltz then my husband spray painted it the color I wanted it. He is really good at making it very even so it worked out GREAT! No one that's seen it thought we did it ourself. Painting w/ a brush/roller just makes a streaky mess...
  • imageDeedle123:
    We painted an antique dresser for our nursery a few weeks ago and just sanded it down, spray primed it w/ kiltz then my husband spray painted it the color I wanted it. He is really good at making it very even so it worked out GREAT! No one that's seen it thought we did it ourself. Painting w/ a brush/roller just makes a streaky mess...
    This is why you sand with a fine sand paper.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married Bio

• I would only prime with an oil based primer. You don't get peeling that way, and you can paint oil based primer over ANYTHING -- even composite.

This is a REALLY good tutorial:

https://www.younghouselove.com/2009/02/how-to-paint-furniture/

• imageAllie30:

I would only prime with an oil based primer. You don't get peeling that way, and you can paint oil based primer over ANYTHING -- even composite.

This is a REALLY good tutorial:

https://www.younghouselove.com/2009/02/how-to-paint-furniture/

Actually: the key to preventing peeling is to always paint "thin" to "fat." Meaning: you can do oil over latex/acrylic/water-based, but you can't do the reverse. Think of how in a glass of oil and vinegar or chicken broth the fat floats to the top - it naturally wants to be on top, and if you put it on the bottom, it pushes it's way to the top, causing other layers to peel.

For an unfinished piece of furniture, it really doesn't matter if you use oil or water based primer, as long as you don't try to paint latex paint over oil primer (that would be disaster!) It's safest to use primer and top coats of matching type (oil and oil, water and water) to avoid the problem entirely.

One final note: if it WAS a finished piece, I would highly recommend oil, because you would have no way of knowing if the existing paint was oil or water based.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"