Pre-School and Daycare

Potty Training Q: Poop

So DD will pee all day long on the potty (granted, we're on day 5 total) but WON'T poop.

I can tell she's about to poop, I rush her to the toilet. She holds it. Let her off, she starts again in her panties. Rush her to the toilet, she holds it....we can do this all day long. Then she gets REALLY REALLY upset and angry and says, "LEAVE MY POOP ALONE!". I don't want to shame her about potty time and I don't want her to feel like I'm mad at her (although I'm NOT happy). I don't want her to regress on the progress she's made.

What do you do?!

Re: Potty Training Q: Poop

• well... I'm at my wits end with ds... this has been going on for months.  with dd (#1), she caught on quicker... but needed the potty (not the toilet)... that way she could squat with her feet on the ground and bear down.  ds (#2) wants nothing to do with the little potties.... I think this is part of our problem.  he tinkles fine ... has for months... poop... still at naps or when squatting playing with his cars... I'll catch him pause... I try to run him to the toilet but then it's too late.  we have tried taller step stools... he's just not doing it yet.  I'm about to lose it with him.  

good luck 

• I wrote you a book on SAIF!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • It took DS FOREVER to finally poop on the potty.  He mastered peeing on the potty a couple of months after turning 3.  we did not master pooping on it until August, when he was 3.5.  It was sooo frustrating, and I tried everything...sticker chart, toy rewards, candy, basically begging him lol.  Nothing worked.  NOTHING.  Everyone kept telling me he would do it when he was ready.  I didnt believe them.  Well, they were 110% exactly right.  One day he just went.  got on the potty, pooped and that was it.  No he has never looked back.  Trust me.  She will do it when she is ready, and there is no prodding or bribing that will help.
  • We went through something similar but he just would not poop for days. I asked him why he didn't want to poop and he said it hurt. I started giving him in Miralax his milk and that helped soften it. Which helped a little but not completely. I would talk him through it. That sometimes it is big and may hurt for a second but then he will feel better. After a few weeks he stopped holding it.

A couple things to think about. One pooping is something they have control of meaning she/he can poop in the potty or in their pants it is their choice. So try not to make it a battle but pushing one way. Another thing to think about is that they are getting used to pooping in a sitting still postion. If you think about it in diapers they can move around, stand, sit, wiggle it all out. If that makes sense now we are asking them to just sit there an push and be patient because it is not always ready to come.

I hope this helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When he was just starting out, my son really liked to have the potty where ever he was.  I think it keeps them from feeling like pooping on a potty is keeping them from doing what they want.  Also, my son has not had a poop accident in his pants since July, but he still is very hesitant about pooping on a regular toilet.  He likes to poop on the little potty chair we have.  So I would suggest trying a small potty that you can move from room to room, and that might help using the potty be more fun, and she might be more comfortable.  Good luck!  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageamazingkel:
    Trust me.  She will do it when she is ready, and there is no prodding or bribing that will help.

While I'm sure that was your experience I have to respectfully disagree that it's the case with all children.

There are LOTS of things you can do to help them along the way.  For most you eventually find one that helps get them over the hump. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We had the same problem. She would pee on the potty all day long, but pooping was another issue. Part of her problem was that she didn't want to take the time to sit and push it out, it took to much time, and she was afraid she would miss out on something. We would take her into the potty every hour, and let her sit on the little potty while mommy or daddy would sit on the big potty, and we also bribed her if she would sit on the potty she got a sticker on her potty chart, for pee-peeing she got 2 stickers, and for pooping she got a nickel. If she kept her underwear dry (put her in big girl panties b/c she didn't like the feeling of being wet, and in a diaper just didn't care)she would go to the dollar store and pick out a special potty gift. 

• We had the same problem. She would pee on the potty all day long, but pooping was another issue. Part of her problem was that she didn't want to take the time to sit and push it out, it took to much time, and she was afraid she would miss out on something. We would take her into the potty every hour, and let her sit on the little potty while mommy or daddy would sit on the big potty, and we also bribed her if she would sit on the potty she got a sticker on her potty chart, for pee-peeing she got 2 stickers, and for pooping she got a nickel. If she kept her underwear dry (put her in big girl panties b/c she didn't like the feeling of being wet, or having poopy stuck to herand in a diaper just didn't care. Also w/ underwear she didn't want to get it dirty) she would go to the dollar store and pick out a special potty gift. 

• Hi, DS is 3 yrs and 5 months and STILL won't poop in the potty or toilet.. he pees no problem and hasn't had an accident in school for a while.. But for poop, he finds a pullup and puts it on.. I have tried bribing him w/ a million things, nothing is working.. I have even pretended to run out of pullups--he got so frantic and started crying and started to poop in his underwear---not worth it to me, so I caved and got him a pullup..  A lot of people tell me that he will do it when he's ready.. I'm trying to wait patiently.. Good Luck to you, but you're not alone....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"