Two Under 2
Options

co sleeping

This may be a touchy subject but I'm just curious... I watch The Talk on CBS and they are talking about co-sleeping today... I am totally against it... but I wanted to see how everyone else feels about it...

what do you think?

Re: co sleeping

• Options

We do it right now, did with the first for a few weeks.  We are safe about it...families did it for years and years.  like previous poster, ds only sleeps with us...we can't really put him down...so what are the options?  i have to be able to function with my first born during the day.

Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • Options

DD was a preemie and co-sleeping was just an extension of her skin to skin that was so important. When we got really exhausted we would put her in a hard sided co-sleeper that was inbetween us in bed. She stayed in there until she outgrew it then moved into her P'nP next to the bed. she stayed within arms reach until she was about 9 months. She will still take naps with us and if we travel or she's having a rough day/night she is usually in our bed.

There's a safe way to do it if co-sleeping is something you want to do. There were "rules" we had for co sleeping (no blanket for DD and separate blankets for DH and I, no drinking/prescription meds before bed, etc.) and I never felt that DD was in any danger.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We co-sleep and it is the only thing that works for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did it for the first few months w/ both girls, it was great!  After almost falling over when walking to her room to feed her for the 10th time at night, I just laid down w/ her and I'm a light sleeper, so I formed my own protection for her.  if my hubby put his arm in her space I knew it and pushed it away :-)  I wouldn't advice anyone who is a heavy sleeper... 
  • Options
    I researched this pretty intensely when I noticed my DS slept a heck of a lot better with me than he did in his bassinet. I feel that cosleeping is much more beneficial than detrimental. There's so many benefits to cosleeping-stronger bond between mom and baby, mom is more likely to BF, baby sleeps better, baby is less likely to have apnea episodes since they match their breathing rate with mom's, etc. Statistically, way more babies die sleeping in their cribs in any given year than they do from cosleeping. Also, countries that practice cosleeping don't have issues with SIDS like we do here, so clearly we're the ones doing something wrong.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We co-sleep sometimes... we do when we travel, and also when DS(s) weren't sttn we would put them in the crib initially, and then after they woke up the first time we would let them continue to sleep with us, because it was always for longer stretches. We're smart about it and I'm an extremely light sleeper when it comes to the kids.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We practice safe co-sleeping. I didn't start until DD1 was older and she sleeps in her crib now, but I have been co-sleeping with DD2 since she was born on and off. I think it is very beneficial, we take every precaution to make sure she is safe and it's only her and I in the bed (DH works nights). She's been sleeping a 6-7 hour stretch since 3-4 weeks most nights, not sure if co-sleeping has helped that but I'm not going to mess with a good thing. Plus it's nice for BFing, roll over and pop her on and she goes right back to sleep :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Seems to work for some people - whether it is the only way LO will sleep, or they really want LO to sleep with them.  I think it's fine.  It really doesn't work for us, though.  We have a close friend that lost a baby cousin because they did not do it safely, and that was enough to scare DH.  I am out of it when I sleep and could never really got a good quality sleep the few times we fell asleep together.  Since then I've probably had two dozen nightmares/night terrors that I dropped the baby on the floor.  This includes screaming, waking my husband and searching the bed and floor for DD all in my sleep (I rarely remember, but DH certainly does).  I've had random night terrors throughout my life, but never this often/to this extend.  When I do wake, I am a mess - upset, sick and confused.  I really hope that next LO is okay with not cosleeping.  We did a cosleeper right up against the bed for two months until DD "STTN," so at least I didn't have to get out of bed to nurse. 
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"