Washington Babies
Options

gah. Bank wwyd?

So I got a letter in the mail today from Chase (used to be WaMu) saying that if I dont make certain qualifications than there will be a monthly $10 service fee.

My issue is that I dont make any of the qualifications b/c its my secondary account that I use for business stuff, but there is never much money in it, so I would have to pay the monthly fee. The catch is, I have had this acct since I was about 12, so it really helps my credit to have an account open so long, etc. and we are starting to get into the home-buying stuff, so I dont want it to hurt my credit if I close the acct. But I am so frustrated that now I have to pay this stupid fee each month. I know its not a lot of money, but it will add up over the months, and in small business, every dollar counts!

Sooo.... do I keep the acct and pay the fee? Or close it? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: gah. Bank wwyd?

• Options
    Wells Fargo did the exact same thing to me. I told them I'd close it  unless they waived the fee, they wouldn't, so I told them to stuff it.
  • Options
    I guess my question is, how often are you using it for business and will the $10 fee affect your business? If you look at it, that's $120 a year just to have an account open there. I had an account open at WaMu from 12 until I was 22 when it just wasn't worth having since I was using my credit union account and our joint account more than anything else. I personally wouldn't keep it open when looking at the big picture.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

::shakes fist at Chase for Leanne::

I would probably tell them I'm going to close the account unless they waive the fee, then if they refuse, close it. When you apply for a mortgage they will look at how much is in the account, so having it open longer definitely helps, but since you said it's a smaller amount, I don't think closing it will hurt your rating much.

Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    Have you contacted them?  Maybe explain that you are a small business owner, you have been a loyal account holder for x amount of years, and see if they are willing to wave the fee for you.  If not, I would say close it.  $120 a year is a lot of money for an account you could utilize for free elsewhere.
  • Options
    Those bastards! I constantly hear about how they're fvcking their customers over now. If I were you, I'd close the account unless they'll waive the fee. You can find plenty of other banks that will give you an account for free. It's ridiculous to require you to pay $120 a year just to have an account. Your credit will still look good since you had the account for so long. I would stress on that part of it too much!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Random Chase poor customer service story: A woman I know has an account there in her son's name but he is a minor so she is the authorized person on the account for any decisions. Her ex-husband took their son to Chase and they let him (not authorized on the account) close it out and take the money!

Needless to say they were very apologetic and will be replacing the money, but still....

Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    I'd call or go in and see if they can convert it to another kind of account with no fee that fits your needs and if not close it. 
    BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    Close it and go to BECU. I honestly will never bank anywhere but a credit union for the rest of my life if I can help it.
  • Options

imagesunmountain:
    Close it and go to BECU. I honestly will never bank anywhere but a credit union for the rest of my life if I can help it.

yeah, we have a joint acct at BECU and I love  them! I guess I will be closing it and getting a new BECU acct! I was just worried that it would hurt my credit to close my longest open acct.

• Options
    I didn't read other answers, but i'd say close it and switch to BECU (i'm so happy i did 10 years ago).  
    Your income to debt ratio and having stable job(s) is a much bigger deal -- unless you open new accts/LOCs often then it will still reflect positively on your credit that you had an acct that long and won't be a major ding to open a new one.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    imageblueLu25:

imagesunmountain:

yeah, we have a joint acct at BECU and I love  them! I guess I will be closing it and getting a new BECU acct! I was just worried that it would hurt my credit to close my longest open acct.

Isn't the "longest open account" thing in relation to credit cards not checking/savings account? (which it sounds like this is)

Anyway I would close it and go credit union. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I agree with pp's I don't think how long you have been with a bank has any effect on your credit score.  Your not supposed to close credit cards because those will cause a ding to your credit score but a bank account does not show any balance of credit that you have paid on time or carried a balance.  I would close the account.

Weird I haven't gotten anything from chase saying that and we have 2 other account besides our primary one with them.

imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options

I would say wait until you meet with your lendor and ask him/her.  I would not close it until then.  It may be worth keeping it open for a couple months until your are done with the home buying process, then close it and switch to another bank or credit union.

But I would be really nervous to close it without making sure it won't affect your credit score...and I think the only one who can tell you that is your lendor.

• Options
    Unless you account has a credit card, it wont even be on your credit report. They don't care about checking accounts. Close it
  • Options
    imagekoosh ball:
    Unless you account has a credit card, it wont even be on your credit report. They don't care about checking accounts. Close it
    this 
  • Options
    imagekoosh ball:
    This. We bought our house in June and none of our checking accounts or former accounts appeared on our reports. They just wanted copies of our bank statements.
  • Options
    yep, there is a whole facebook page about this...my brother and sister just shared it. I love my Credit Union! Smile
  • Options
    I am going through the same issue with Chase and my account. Mine is a secondary account for business too and I won't meet the requirements. I've only had mine for a year and a half though. I'm looking at a credit union and seeing what other banks are offering. I haven't had a great experience with Chase anyways, so I've been looking to move on for a few months.
    photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH works for chase and was first told that WAMU free checkings were going to be grandfathered in, but now they changed their mind.  DH and I bank with BECU, but he was mad to hear these changes.  No such thing as free checking anymore.  That reminds me I have to close my secondary account with them too!
  • Options
    Close it, and tell them to stuff it while you're at it. :)
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"