Nurseries and Baby Gear

Medela Pump in Style advice

Need some advice please...I can purchase a used medela pump in style electric breast pump and a manual one also for $65. I've heard Medela is a good brand and electric is much easier to use to pump than manual. Should I go ahead and purchase this? I didn't want to buy a used pump, but I really have no choice and don't want to spend the $250 it costs new. I need to let this lady know very soon so thanks for the advice!
Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Medela Pump in Style advice

• I don't have an answer, but maybe the breast feeding board will have better feedback & suggestion! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The nurse who led my BF class said never to buy a used pump b/c it could have bacteria, unless it's a "closed system" that prevents milk from getting into the base of the pump.  I'm pretty sure she said Medelas were not closed systems, but you might want to check into that.

She did say that Medela was a good brand and that electric is far better than manual.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Those are both meant to be single user pumps.  The PISA is not hospital grade (closed system) pump.  The milk can get in the motor contaminating the entire system.  Obviously the manual pump is exposed to milk too.  I would not purchase them used even if I knew the person.

You could be potentially exposing you and your baby to viruses including HIV and Hepatitis.  The FDA strongly recommends against used breast pumps and links to this LLL website.  It's not worth risking the health of you and your baby to save a little money.

Use a 20% off coupon at BRU or watch for sales if you don't want to pay full price.  There are also cheaper electric options available, you don't have to get the PISA.  If you absolutely can't afford a pump there are programs that will help with the cost, including your state health dept. and WIC.  Scroll to the bottom here for more info.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• I would not buy a used pump.  Especially a used medela- they are not a closed system.  The Ameda's are, but even so, I would only consider buying it from someone I knew very well and even then... I'd rather just have my own.  I got an Ameda last week for $143 on drugstore.com.  The lansinoh double electric is basically the same pump and Amazon has it for $129:

https://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Double-Electric-Breast-1-Count/dp/B001TUZOBA

It's a great pump and you can just buy your own carrying bag or use one that you already have.  Shop around, there are some deals right now.

• We asked both my OB/GYN and pediatrician and both said that they didn't see anything wrong in purchasing a used pump.  I would consult your Dr.s and then do what's best for you and your family...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagestilts1:
    We asked both my OB/GYN and pediatrician and both said that they didn't see anything wrong in purchasing a used pump.  I would consult your Dr.s and then do what's best for you and your family...

This is exactly why people need to be more informed rather than blindly following advice just because it comes from a doctor.

I would hope they assumed you were referring to a closed system pump.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• I wouldn't purchase a used one either. My one friend wanted to borrow mine with hers and I told her it broke. I can't bear to part with it. The Medela is a good pump and after a very long discussion about pumps on the other board I belonged to with my son I decided I'd rather spend the money then spend twice that with purchasing a cheaper system and having it break or not work as well.

BRU is very good at putting them on sale and that is how I purchased ours. I wouldn't open it though until you know bf'n is going to work out or you want to exclusively pump. Otherwise, they will not take it back if the seal is broken because of that reason. Also, if you purchased a used one and something does go wrong it voids the manf. warranty.

I have to echo to not blindly follow your pediatrician and ob/gyn's advice (or any doctor's) without doing your research. (I've learned from experience at my son's expense) Our pediatrician's office has a lactation consultant on staff to assist with any breastfeeding concerns and questions, etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • imagekatcarls:

imagestilts1:
    We asked both my OB/GYN and pediatrician and both said that they didn't see anything wrong in purchasing a used pump.  I would consult your Dr.s and then do what's best for you and your family...

This is exactly why people need to be more informed rather than blindly following advice just because it comes from a doctor.

I would hope they assumed you were referring to a closed system pump.

I can't possibly imagine not one but two doctors saying a used pump is okay.  If I received/bought one from a relative or close friend then I would consider but definitely not otherwise.  All advice I've seen says to never share a pump.  For the OP, you can usually work the cost down quite a bit watching for sales/using coupons.  For example, if you can find the Lansinoh pump that was mentioned above and then use a 20% coupon from BRU and use your 10% completion coupon then your not paying that much more than for the used pump.  Check Amazon too and just really watch out for deals.  This is one area where you really need to buy new. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can get the PISA up to 30% off esp at this time of the year. I would not risk getting a used pump, it just isn't worth what you will save. Also have you checked out your insurance? Many of them cover all or a fraction of the cost of breastfeeding equipment, my insurance is crappy and covers $50 but if you got a discount off the PISA and an insurance discount, I am sure it will be more affordable, not to mention the peace of mind of one less thing to worry about. Also, lots of posters have mentioned that the Ameda and Lansinoh are great pumps that cost significantly less and are electric. Have you read reviews on these? I am sure they will be in your budget after a discount if you're interested in them. All in all, yes Medelas are very popular but there are definitely other brands out there that do the same thing for less.
  • thanks for the advice! I agree, this is one area in which to go new. I will look for deals and possibly wait until January once we take a breastfeeding course and see if it's needed. I want to breastfeed but don't know much about it, so I'll get more info then decide what I need. 
    Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just got the BRU mailer today...pumps are 15% off right now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"