Stay at Home Moms

The SAHM Book Club Weekly Check-In

Welcome,

Our Book Club is open to anyone, at anytime, who would simply like to set a reading goal for the year, keep track of what they have read so far, read up on reviews of books everyone else is reading and make your own recommendations.  You can read whatever you want, this is not a traditional book club where we select & discuss a book as a group!

For anyone who'd like to participate in these weekly check-ins and join our Google Document Tracker, reply to this post with:

*Your 2010 reading goal ("X" number of books you will read this year)

*How many books you have read so far

*What you are currently reading

*Any books you'd like to recommend

Once you read the book that was on your "currently reading" list from the previous check-in or if you toss that book aside and switch gears, be sure to mention it in these weekly check-ins as that is how I update the spreadsheet.   

Shout-outs and questions from me:
  • none

As always, for those currently participating, please go to the spreadsheet and check your info for accuracy:https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pP-G753WjUy5mJcfocJFlMg&output=htmlBe sure you check the tabs at the bottom of the Google Spreadsheet for the "Recommendations" tab if you are looking for something to read!  
**Reply to this post with any corrections/additions to the spreadsheet!!!**
 Book-buying, swapping & borrowing resources:Thanks, Detroitblondie and Seans_girlLocal Thrift Stores
Half.comSwap.com
Thanks, Stacyc625 for the New York Times Best Seller List:
https://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html
Thanks, Read2Me for the Top 100 Free Online Books:https://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2009/03/31/100-free-online-books-everyone-should-read/  
Thanks, MrsNemitz for the Literature Map:
https://www.literature-map.com/ Thanks, Andrea11 for this Chick Lit Author Listing:
https://www.chicklitclub.com/authorsa.htmlThanks, Drunkenwife for the following lists:
Notable Books
The Reading List: Best Adult Genre Fiction
Best Books for Young Adults
Alex Awards
Great Graphic Novels for Teens
Notable Children's Books
Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
Rainbow List
Notable Children's Videos
Notable Children's Recordings
Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults
Notable Videos for Adults
Newbery Medal
Newbery Honor
Caldecott Medal
Caldecott Honor
Printz Award
Printz Honor
Sibert Medal
Sibert Honor
Coretta Scott King Award
Coretta Scott King Honor
Pura Belpre Award
Pura Belpre Honor
Stonewall Award
Stonewall Honor
Odyssey Award
Odyssey Honor
Carnegie Medal

Happy Reading!!!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

Re: The SAHM Book Club Weekly Check-In

• HI all!

I finished Fly Away Home two weeks ago and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVED it! 

I moved on to Best Friends Forever and am nearly done with it.  It's also really great and I can't wait to figure out how it ends and what happened between these supposed best friends!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• TobeMrs.Shavers: Would you happen to know if I download the books from the free online site, which download option I would choose for an I-pod? I really want to up my reading and thought this would be a great idea but when I click on the download button there are lots of formats to choose from.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just might join,but have no idea what to set my goal for. I usually read 7 adult books a month. So how would I set a goal for myself. I have read over 80 books this year alone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am on my 11th book of the year, "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I really like it and would definitely recommend it.
  • imagebrightning:
    I am on my 11th book of the year, "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I really like it and would definitely recommend it.

A delicious book!

My book is actually called Carry Me Down, not Carry Me Home.  The author's name is Hyland.  Still reading, still enjoying, but so far not a favorite. 

• I finished In Defense of Food and also read Freedom, Velocity and Don't Blink.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I finished 1-2-3 Magic.  Some of the ideas were pretty good and I am considering using them, but I thought the book was about 10 chapters too long. 

I am now reading The Story of a Marriage: a Novel by Andrew Sean Greer.  It was recommended to me by my 17 yo daughter's HS English teacher on 'Back To School Night' in September and I really like it.  Coincidentally, my daughter is reading the book now too.  They must have gotten it assigned right around the time that I decided to read it.  Other than Harry Potter, it's the first time we've ever read the same book at the same time.   :)

• I finally finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larrson.  Really liked it and excited when the next installment is available at the library.  I started reading "Neither Here nor There; Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson.  It is honestly pee your pants funny.  I need a laugh, and am really enjoying it.  I won't be making my goal, but I think I did well in spite of everything I've been through this year!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I finished In Her Shoes last week and have not started anything new yet. Things have been so crazy lately. I am going to have to find time to read 2 more books this year!!!!!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I finished The Lost Hero and recommend it to anyone who has read the Percy Jackson series.  Now I'm getting into the Christmas spirit by reading the Autobiography of Santa Claus.  It's pretty good so far, I'm looking forward to reading about the different parts of history and the parts Santa "played" in them.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"