Parenting after 35

Is it just me ...

or do others think it is crazy to pay $525.00 plus NYS sales tax on a Burberry bag that is 95% made of coated canvas? I just happened to stop in a store and look at it. It was nice looking but $525.00? Unless you have a really good paying job then, perhaps but still? The sales associate tried to tell me at first that it was all leather.

Re: Is it just me ...

• It's for the name, for the most part.  My brother got a trench coat at Burberry in London when he was 20 and he'll be 37 this week?he still has it. It's a classic. Not out of style. So the $$ (or ??) he spent was well worth it. So if it lasts 17 years... maybe the bag is worth the money. But I'd want it to be leather.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Oh certainly, you are paying for the name. I live in a suburb of NYC so it's a given to know this! My problem is that it is not leather. Yes, a classic, but highly doubt even if I wear it 4-6 times a week that it will last 17 years. Now the Coach bags they USED to make about 15-20 years ago - they last 17 years!
  • Loading the player...
  • I might pay that much for something that was one of a kind at that I'd kick myself if I didn't get it, but I wouldn't pay that for something made of canvas and that had a logo on it.

But then, for something like a classic trench - like Robyn's bro - I just might splurge.

• imageB&C03:
    Oh certainly, you are paying for the name. I live in a suburb of NYC so it's a given to know this! My problem is that it is not leather. Yes, a classic, but highly doubt even if I wear it 4-6 times a week that it will last 17 years. Now the Coach bags they USED to make about 15-20 years ago - they last 17 years!

B&C03... I live in Northern NJ and completely understand about the "name" and the NYS sales tax!  I'd probably skip it (if I had the money to splurge) if it's not leather and superbly made.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Years ago I splurged on a Brooks Brothers trench coat.  It is totally classic and I still wear it today. It was well out of my price range at the time but I have gotten plenty of use out of it. The only problem is that people mistake it for Burberry all of the time because of the plaid liner. :)
  • I hear you, if I am posting this type of thing then I am really interested in the bag. I hate when I get crazy over stupid stuff like this :(
  • imageM.Amy:
    Years ago I splurged on a Brooks Brothers trench coat.  It is totally classic and I still wear it today. It was well out of my price range at the time but I have gotten plenty of use out of it. The only problem is that people mistake it for Burberry all of the time because of the plaid liner. :)

That's a good thing! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"