Working Moms

Pumping discussion with boss

I am going back to work in a couple weeks. I need to discuss this with my boss. I am not sure how to do it. I thought about telling her I need to discuss me coming back in a meeting, but then I don't want to seem like I am asking for special treatment doing it that way. How did you do it?
DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz

Re: Pumping discussion with boss

• Well, I'm lucky because I have my own office with a lock on the door.  But I basically just said (while I was out on maternity leave but about to come back) that I'd be pumping and that my door would be locked for about 15 minutes 2-3 times per day.  She knew nothing about pumping so I didn't need to explain that I had a hands free pumping bra or anything, I just said that I could still work during that time and that I'd be checking email, etc. I just couldn't meet with clients then.  I think I also said I'd use my lunch break for one session and my 15 minute breaks for the other 2.  Everyone is supposed to get a 15 minute break every 4 hours, right?  So I didn't really phrase it like I was asking for anything, just informing politely.
  • imageBella427:
    Well, I'm lucky because I have my own office with a lock on the door.  But I basically just said (while I was out on maternity leave but about to come back) that I'd be pumping and that my door would be locked for about 15 minutes 2-3 times per day.  She knew nothing about pumping so I didn't need to explain that I had a hands free pumping bra or anything, I just said that I could still work during that time and that I'd be checking email, etc. I just couldn't meet with clients then.  I think I also said I'd use my lunch break for one session and my 15 minute breaks for the other 2.  Everyone is supposed to get a 15 minute break every 4 hours, right?  So I didn't really phrase it like I was asking for anything, just informing politely.

I do have my own office. I don't get breaks. I get 1 hour lunch a day. All of our lunches are planned around the others in the office.  Also, I am on a strict pumping schedule. So I feel bad that sometimes when I come in at 9, I need to pump at 9:30am already.

DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't say anything about it.  fortunately, I had a coworker who'd paved the way for me the year before.  I just closed my door, locked it and pumped.  I would save some reading for that time so I didn't feel like I was wasting company time.  I took quick lunches too.  In the end, it all worked out.  I don't think I was taking advantage of them and I don't think they felt taken advantage of.  My work got done and I was a good employee.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I just asked the dept secretary if there was some place I could pump. I never takes to my boss about it but everyone knows I pump at nine, noon, and three.
  • I never had a conversation with my boss. His wife had two kids and he knew that I was nursing. I just close my door, lock it, and close the blinds and bump three times a day.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Since your boss is a woman, she will probably understand.  Does your company use Outlook?  If so, can you be "sneaky", and just ask her if she would like for you to put your pumping sessions on your calendar so they don't interfere with meetings?

I had to put my sessions on, partially so I wouldn't forget, and partially so I could figure out how to work around the meetings on my schedule.

• I agree with PPs but I thought I would throw out there that it might be helpful to know your state's laws about pumping.  I am lucky that in CA I am so protected pumping never really warranted a conversation.
  • imageCA_EAM:
    I agree with PPs but I thought I would throw out there that it might be helpful to know your state's laws about pumping.  I am lucky that in CA I am so protected pumping never really warranted a conversation.

My state doesn't have one at all. I am in Michigan.

• I already talked to my boss about it.  I have the hands free bra, so I told her I am able to keep working on my computer while pumping.  I even offered to participate in telecom's while pumping, but was told that I could only do that if I were on mute.  I had to have the talk with her so that she would know what to expect when I got back.  I wanted her to know that there would be meetings I would be missing, but could participate virtually and on mute.  And like a PP stated, I plan on putting my pumping schedule on my Outlook.  This way, my schedule is known and not a surprise to anyone.

I have found that the more open and honest you are about pumping, the less people will talk about it, ask questions, or frown at what you are doing.  I once offered to show someone the pump and how it works.  I found that killed MANY questions.

• As far as the legal end, you are covered by the new federal regulation (see https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.pdf).  They have to give you reasonable time to pump, and a place to do so.  They don't have to compensate you for the time.  You aren't asking for special treatment, any nursing mother has the right to pump!

I have had the conversation with two different bosses (my old one, and a new one once I switched positions).  Both places, it's OK to swing by the boss's office for an informal meeting if they aren't busy, so that's what I did, otherwise I'd have probably either called or requested a brief meeting.  I just said, "My daughter is still nursing, so during the day I need to shut my door 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes to pump milk for her".  Neither of my (male) bosses had a clue that pumping was even an optino, so then there was a brief and a wee bit awkward "Do what, now?" conversation, but it went fine.

I can do my work generally while pumping, although I usually stay a little later than normal now that I pump since even still with set-up/take-down of my pump and everything it still takes up a little time.

• imageBC&MM:

imageCA_EAM:
    I agree with PPs but I thought I would throw out there that it might be helpful to know your state's laws about pumping.  I am lucky that in CA I am so protected pumping never really warranted a conversation.

My state doesn't have one at all. I am in Michigan.

You state doesn't need one because there is a federal law covering you

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"