South Florida Babies
Options

high chair - till what age?

Believe it or not, we've gotten away with not having a high chair so far. Emma has eaten all her meals either in the Bumbo or a hook-on booster chair (https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265745). Both have worked up until a couple of months ago, but now that she's really mobile and strong, she doesn't want to stay in them and can easily climb out of the Bumbo and start to wander around. More dangerously, she's figured out how to wiggle out of the strap on the hook on chair no matter how tight we adjust it.

I think she needs something more secure that includes shoulder straps so that we can keep her tightly secured in one place during her meals, but I don't know if it's too late to invest in a high chair (she'll be one on Saturday - holy crap!). Will she grow out of it too quickly? I guess whatever I buy I can end up using for her future little siblings if I can find a place to store it until then. But the point is I would hate to invest in something like that when I tried so hard to avoid in the first place (hate how bulky most of them are) if she's going to grow out of it soon.

So until what age did your child use a high chair and what did you use as a "transition" chair until they were old enough to sit on a regular chair at the table? Thanks ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: high chair - till what age?

• Options

Hi Jen,

Omg, I can't believe Emma is turning 1! I have a lot of friends that use high chairs 2+ years. I think we used them until the twins were about 2 yrs old. I have had a couple people surprised that the twins were in boosters at 2, but they were pretty good about staying seated through meals.

I would say you would get at least a year's use out of it. It would probably be a good idea, especially since you are concerned about Emma's safety. I'm sure the girls here can give some suggestions, but I know there are seats that attatch to a dining room chair that would not take up so much space. Ikea has some too that are not super huge.

Good luck. Hope all else is well!

• Options
    Nephew still uses his (and likes it) and he just turned 3.  Without the tray he can climb in/out which is great bc no carrying him.  FP makes a great highchair and is affordable ($130).  GL
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have the Stokke high chair that sits right up to the table so it doesn't take up any extra space.  It comes with the 5 point harness.  At her age you wouldn't need any of the accessories.

It's pricey, but we'll be using it for practically forever since it converts to a regular chair, whether at the dinner room table or in his own room.  Thankfully we bought a display that was on sale!

One Step Ahead has a cheaper version that we are thinking about buying when the new baby is ready for a high chair. 

I love having Andrew physically at the table with us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Zoe still uses her high chair at home at 2 1/2. But we have the fisher price booster seat also that she can sit in. Most of the time in a restaurant she just sits in a regular chair without a booster though.
  • Options

imageMelanieJH1016:
    Zoe still uses her high chair at home at 2 1/2. But we have the fisher price booster seat also that she can sit in. Most of the time in a restaurant she just sits in a regular chair without a booster though.

This exactly for Lynda only she's just a little younger.  

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

First- I can't believe Emma is going to be 1 on Saturday!!! YAYAYAY!!!! Second that new siggy of Emma is gorgeous!!!

Alex is going to be 2 in February and he still uses his highchair. He's been self feeding and depending on what we eat for dinner we have the option to eat with the tray or take if off and scoot the chair under the table.

I say go for it. Not only for the safety of Emma but you can also use it for future siblings.

• Options
    Hi Jen! I'm not quite sure when is the time a toddler should not be in a high chair anymore.I'm sure this depends on the child and parents. Evan is 2 yrs 3 mths and still uses a high chair. Meals would be a disaster if he were not strapped in to the chair. lol He can't sit still if at the table and he would for sure ruin the dining table if he were sitting directly at it. He's gotten better but still not ready to let him loose. ;) So there is no set answer, all kiddos are different! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Abraham still uses his and will continue to use it until he moves out lol. Seriously, it's the only place that he'll sit still for more than 5min. I was putting him in there with no straps but now I have to strap him in because he can get out and I don't want him to fall and hurt himself. So that's the only thing, if you do invest in one (which I think you probably should unless you find another alternative, be ready to strap her in there). Besides, you can just save it for your next one whenever she does grow out of it;)

btw, she looks so beautiful in your siggy! I cannot believe she's already turning ONE!!! 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have an FP high chair and have already used it a couple of times so Elise can be right there with us at the dining table when we eat.  I think it's something we would use until she's 2 or 3, especially, since our dining table is high (the chairs are like barstool height).  
  • Options

Apparently I am not the norm =) We got rid of Max's high chair when he was 1 and bought a seat that he could use directly at the table, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Go-Booster-Seat/dp/B00005N9X5

This works out perfectly for us. I dont have a bulky high chair around and he eats right at the table with us. I bought plates and bowls that suction to our table and I dont have to worry about him throwing anything onto the floor. I would say dont invest in a high chair; It was the first piece of baby crap that I could not wait to get rid of!

• Options

Around 18 months, I got rid of the tray for the high chair and just had her eat at the table, but still sitting in it, I had the Chicco one that you could lower and pull up to the regular table.

THen around 2, I got her a booster that straps to a regular chair at  the table. At 2.5 when she started school, I got rid of the booster entirely and now she just sits in a normal chair like the rest of us. I figured that if she ate lunch at school without being strapped in then she could do it at home too. It took about a week for her to get used to it and stop trying to climb up and down constantly, but she got it and does just fine. 

I don't think it's worth getting a high chair at this point for her, get a booster that converts like some of the girls suggested. 

image image

• Options
    Ha!  Well, my son definitely does not fit the norm reading everyone else's responses because he flat out refused to sit in the highchair by the time he was 18 months old!  Actually, now that I think about it, none of my "real life" friends had kids that would sit in the high chair much longer than that. I say get a plastic booster seat that attaches to a regular kitchen chair for times when you really want her to sit at the table, but I think a kid sized table and chairs set will actually be used for a lot longer.
  • Options
    We've used a booster strapped to one of dining chair since Nadia was 1. I also can't stand how bulky high chairs are. We have a fisher price one with a seat belt. I scoot her right up to the table & she eats with us.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look into some of the booster chair/space saver chair type options and see how the straps work and whether they would contain her better. My problem with the hook on chair I have now is that it only has a waist strap which she has learned how to manuver out of like a little Houdini without even having to unclip it. I think from what I've seen in pictures, the Fisher Price Save Saver chair has shoulder straps as well, similar to the five-point harness in car seats, so if that's the case it might be our best bet. Thanks again!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look into some of the booster chair/space saver chair type options and see how the straps work and whether they would contain her better. My problem with the hook on chair I have now is that it only has a waist strap which she has learned how to manuver out of like a little Houdini without even having to unclip it. I think from what I've seen in pictures, the Fisher Price Save Saver chair has shoulder straps as well, similar to the five-point harness in car seats, so if that's the case it might be our best bet. Thanks again!!!

Those chairs are a great option, especially if you are strapped for space.  However, be careful what type of chair you place them on.  My SIL had one w/ niece, and the chair was a light color... needless to say, the chair has tons of stains from food that would fall.  If your chair is a light color, make sure to add a cover to protect it. 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

Those chairs are a great option, especially if you are strapped for space.  However, be careful what type of chair you place them on.  My SIL had one w/ niece, and the chair was a light color... needless to say, the chair has tons of stains from food that would fall.  If your chair is a light color, make sure to add a cover to protect it. 

We had the same problem until we bought leather chairs. Still, we always put a towel between the booster seat and dining room chair =) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"