Natural Birth
Options

Need help finding MW in rural area

I have my heart set on a home birth but live about 80 miles from the nearest MWs.  I've emailed both of them asking if they'd be willing to work with me, and got no response.  My only two options right now are hospital birth (sad face) or unassisted home birth (ya right).  So my question is, does anyone know of any listservs or discussion boards that might help me hook up with a MW willing to come to my house?  

TIA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need help finding MW in rural area

• Options

https://www.midwife.org/find.cfm  link to find a CNM.  

You can check out the ICAN listserve - if you have a local chapter, they'd probably know if you can get a midwife in your area. 

• Options

I know this sounds silly, but if I were you, I'd PHONE the two MW offices you emailed. I'm also in a rural area, and sometimes it takes a while to get a response via email because people aren't in the office all that often... but they always check messages.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i have dealt with a lot of clients that live in a rural area.  it is not easy, but there are options.  for example:

do you have friends/family that you could stay with for the birth that is closer to the mw's?

can you stay in a hotel near the mw's?

do they have a birthing center that you can go to?

can you rent a place near them for a month? 

like pp said, i would def call the mw's to talk to them about it.  it all depends on how important it is for you and usually you can find a way.  GL!

• Options

I had to search around a lot.  I contacted the state network of midwives and asked if anyone was willing to do it.  I gto about 5 responses, the closest being an hour and a half drive away.  I've been driving there once a month for my prenatals and that part stinks, but it's the only way I can have a homebirth in my area. 

I also had some luck posting on mothering.com and asking if anyone in my area knew of any midwives.  I got many private messages that gave me a starting point in my search.

Good luck!

• Options

Def call the midwives that you did find. Even if they feel that they are too far away to take you on, they might know another midwife that isnt listed online. Im from a rural area too and could only find one midwife 2 hours away online, but after talking to the local birthing community there are 5 even closer than that.

Also contact your locak ICAN chapter if there is one because they would be a great resourse for finding a midwife, or at very least an ob that is actually pro natural birth. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"