December 2010 Moms

The Optional Induction: what is your OB's policy?

I know there are multiple reasons to choose induction... and that we all have mixed feelings about whether or not it is "okay" to induce at all or when it's okay -- starting at 39 weeks? only after your due date passes? Only for health/safety reasons?

Anyway, I'm curious if you've asked your doctor their policy on induction. Is she or he willing to do it at 39 weeks? Do they want you to wait until 40? How far in advance to schedule?

Just curious!

Re: The Optional Induction: what is your OB's policy?

• Mine doesn't like going past 42 wks & prefers them around 41 wks.  He's not pushy though and allows the px to make the decision (which can be good or bad).
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My OB waits a week after your due date to induce. I'm going in tomorrow for a NST, ultrasound and to set up an induction date for next week :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor won't induce until you are a week overdue.

They won't schedule you until you have your 40 w appointment.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Mine offered to induce at 37w because I've had lots of fun health issues but since LO was doing fine I wanted to hold out til 40. I'm being induced at 40w 3d (assuming he doesn't come in the next few days).

Mine won't let you go past 41w I believe.

• my office has a 'case by case' policy.  They told me that they prob won't let me go past 41 wks.  I know someone else who goes to the same OB and she had such anxiety about labor (she had had a stillborn at 39 wks previously) that they allowed for an optional CS at 37 wks.  They really seem to try to do what they think is best for each individual.... 
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At my Doctor's office the only "okay" reason to induce before 41 weeks is for medical reasons only. If you go overdue they will induce when you hit 41 weeks.

Even scheduled c-sections won't be scheduled before 39weeks. If you need to go before then they consider that an Emergency C-section. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor told me around 25 weeks that she will let me go 10 days past, but "won't torchor" me... That means I will be induced by Jan 5!

She hasn't brought it up again but that's her policy :) 

• I haven't asked about what my OB's optional induction policy is because I am getting induced for medical reasons (gestational hypertension and an autoimmune disorder that causes low platelets).  I do know thought that even with medical reasons, my OB wanted to wait as long as possible to induce, preferably getting to 39 weeks before inducing.

I'm pretty sure that without medical indications, an induction would not be considered until AT LEAST after 40 weeks.

Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• My practice will induce after 41 weeks 6 days if it's determined that there is a need for it.  They definitely don't do the "convenience induction" if that is what you're asking.
  • Our hospital won't do an induction (elective) before 39 weeks.  Also, our doctor starts talking about induction for being late at 41 weeks.

However, I am now getting induced at 39 weeks because of hypertension. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Big Sister (3) and Big Brother (5)~

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For first time moms, she likes waiting as long as possible without going past the 42 week mark.  Generally around the 10 day past the due date.

So, for me, she wouldn't consider inducing until Dec. 13th.

• I have kind of a weird situation... my OB is retiring... ON MY DUE DATE! She won't see or deliver after that day. She's cancelled the last two appointments with me (due to being in deliveries) and I saw the nurse practitioner on Monday who said my OB has been scheduling inductions with her patients who have due dates near her last day. If I ever get to see my OB again, this will definitely be a topic of conversation. I do know, however, a friend of mine who had her as an OB was induced at 39 weeks for convenience purposes...
  • My OB won't let me go past 41 weeks but now we are looking at possibly inducing at 39 because at my appointment yesterday she said that if LO gets much bigger she won't fit out my narrow pelvis so a c-sec maybe in my future Sad
  • My OB previously told me 41 weeks. Then she asked when I was born and I told her I was 20 days late. Now she says she may let me go PAST 42 weeks if it takes that long. Grrrr...Angry
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mine is case by case. They'd prefer you obviously get started on your own before inducing, but they really don't like to let you go past 41 weeks.

Because of medical issues with both me and the baby, I will be induced at some point during my 39th week because I won't be allowed to go past my due date.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't know what my OB's policy is, but I'm being induced at 39 weeks because of medical reasons. But it is a military hospital and I've heard of them letting patients going as long as possible.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know what my OB's policy see is but I do see a high risk OB.  I asked them at my appt yesterday what would happen if I have not delivered by my due date and they said that due to my history, if I have not already delivered I will be induced on my due date.
  • Thanks to everyone who shared their answers!

I am definitely in favor of foregoing the "convenience" induction and want my labor to start and progress naturally if possible... 

A friend of mine who is an elementary school teacher opted for induction at 39 weeks b/c she didn't want to go into labor in her classroom or on a field trip that was scheduled for that week -- and she didn't want to take time off work until the baby came.

I was surprised that her doc allowed it -- and was curious what the standard is.

• imagefebruary292008:

My doctor told me around 25 weeks that she will let me go 10 days past, but "won't torchor" me... That means I will be induced by Jan 5!

Is being torchored worse than being Tortured?

• imageSonadora:

My doctor won't induce until you are a week overdue.

They won't schedule you until you have your 40 w appointment.

This at my dr's office, too.

Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLovesMM:
    imagefebruary292008:

My doctor told me around 25 weeks that she will let me go 10 days past, but "won't torchor" me... That means I will be induced by Jan 5!

trust me as I speak from experience.. being torchored is PURE torture. 

• imagebabyonthebrain2010:
    imageLovesMM:
    imagefebruary292008:

trust me as I speak from experience.. being torchored is PURE torture. 

Hahahaha. Thanks, I needed this.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The OBs who back up my MWs prefer you not going past 41 weeks BUT my MW said she could get me 41w3d if I do daily NSTs. To me I would just go ahead at 41 weeks instead of waiting those 3 extra days and having to go to the hospital every day to be monitored.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just talked about it with my OB on monday and she said that the earliest she would do it is 39 weeks. The only way that she wouldnt do it is if im not dilated at all. She didnt go to in depth about it bc there is a good possibility that i could go into labor on my own before then, but if i havent by my 38 weeks appointment then we will talk more seriously about it. Although she doesnt like to induce first time moms bc they have a bigger risk of having to have a c-section.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My OB won't induce unless medically neccessary till 41 weeks.

I am really hoping the little guy comes before then, but I go on Monday to have the NST and Ultrasound and set up my induction for the 9th. Because even though I could wait longer because I have had no medical issues, I really want him to be born. :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLovesMM:
    imagefebruary292008:

Loves, I <3 you.

• My OB's practice is for the most part a case-by-case basis, but as a general rule they don't induce anyone early unless it's for medical reasons. I know they would let me go to 42 weeks before inducing me.
  • My doctor will let you schedule one after 39 weeks if you want to be induced. If you are 42 weeks, she schedules it for you. She said that ACOG (whatever the ob/gyn thing is) allows women the right to choose if they want to be induced and how they want to deliver (scheduling a c-section or natural).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"