January 2011 Moms

Am I the only one who's baby hasn't been weighed in awhile?

So I'm curious if I am the only one that hasn't had a diagnostic ultrasound since 19 weeks showing/telling how much LO weighs/length?

I get asked all the time how much she weighs and I honestly have no clue. I always just say well - my measurements are right on track. That's all I know since 19 weeks. Is everyone getting ultasounds telling them how much LO weighs?? I don't believe I get any more ultrasounds unless something is wrong.

02/14/09 D&E of our little girl, due to developmental problems at 23 weeks :( 01/04/10 Missed MC at 8 weeks :( 01/01/11 The birth of our beautiful little girl, Blake :)
My blog!

Re: Am I the only one who's baby hasn't been weighed in awhile?

• I had my last ultrasound at 20 weeks or so for the growth scan, and that is it until delivery! My dr. told me that since everything has been going fine and I haven't had any issues I won't be having anymore ultrasounds.... I am kinda bummed, and kinda ok with it. I would love to see my LO again and know whats going on, but I don't like the cost of getting them!!
  • I am also low risk and the last time I got weighed was at my anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I am ok with that though because these measurements are not super accurate so if anything it might make me worry if the baby is "measuring" big. My tummy measurements are 34 inches at 34 weeks so I like knowing that I am "on track." haha I think we will get one more ultra sound at 37 weeks or so... not sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had a few ultrasound after the 20 week ultrasound and thats only because it showed i had low amniotic so theyve been checking on that periodically and also now i have NST to make sure baby is doing ok because of that, otherwhys i wouldnt have had any other ultrasounds done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If we're being honest, nobody's baby is being weighed (except those who are already outside babies). Some women are having more ultrasounds (which aren't standard in most OB practices) during which the tech is estimating weight based on measurements. These weights are, in all likelihood, not correct. When people ask me what Aidan weighs, I refer to this chart and tell them "probably about X, but who really knows?"
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Measuring your fundal height (the tape measure on your belly) is tracking your baby's growth.  Its not typical to check the baby's growth with u/s unless you have GD or your fundal measurement is off indicating your baby may be having a growth problem (big or little).  I don't have anymore u/s scheduled either.  The u/s weight estimate is just an estimate anyway. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Okay, glad to know that I am not the only one! :)
    02/14/09 D&E of our little girl, due to developmental problems at 23 weeks :( 01/04/10 Missed MC at 8 weeks :( 01/01/11 The birth of our beautiful little girl, Blake :)
    My blog!
  • I have yet to hear anyone tell me my baby's weight. They're just guesses anyways. 
  • If I had a normal pregnancy I wouldn't have had any ultrasounds after the anatomy scan.
  • I have not either, they just base it off of the belly measurements and I go by whatever that weeks email tells me the approximate weight should be.

I got a kick out of OP's I don't believe in extra ultrasounds unless something is wrong" remark though...not sure why :) Just the wording maybe.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have another u/s scheduled for this Friday, but the purpose is not to measure his size, it's to measure the size and location of the fibroid.  If the fibroid weren't as big then I wouldn't be getting another one either.  The ultrasounds aren't very good at predicting baby's weight anyway.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have never been told how much the baby weighs, and I haven't had an ultrasound since 19-20 weeks. I am having one at my 35 week appointment.

• I also wanted to add my two cents.

My OB doesn't do the NT scan, gender u/s, growth scan ... or any diagnostic u/s.  So he refers you out by giving you a list of doctors to pick from.  My particular doctor that performs all these u/s for me has done two growth scans on me (one at 19 weeks and the other at 30 weeks) ... that's just how it works.  My fundal height has never been off either, so having more than one u/s after "x-amount" of weeks doesn't mean anything is wrong.  Complete misconception. 

As for how my LO weighs?  I know it's only an estimate, but considering the other doctor I see is one of the best in his field, I'll wager he's pretty accurate.  With that said they have my LO weighing around 3 lbs 4 oz (as of last week)

• Nope, I'm right there with ya. They always measure my belly with the measuring tape, but no more ultrasounds unless they have good reason.
  • I won't be getting any more ultrasounds, and I don't really care how big LO is.  My measurements are all good (two weeks ahead), and my MW says he doesn't feel overly big.  Good enough for me!
  • I haven't been told in a while, so I asked my OB was his estimate was, and he gave the same answer as my "What to Expect" app. 

I had an u/s at 32 weeks to check on my placenta location (I have a low-lying placenta) and asked the nurse if we could get an idea of how big the baby is, but she said it wasn't in my orders and they were running too behind to do extra measurements.  She was really nice about it, and I told her that I totally understood- their computers went down and they were handwriting all their reports for the OBs!

• imageAmericaMowry:
    Nope, I'm right there with ya. They always measure my belly with the measuring tape, but no more ultrasounds unless they have good reason.

This for me as well.

• imageAmericaMowry:
    Nope, I'm right there with ya. They always measure my belly with the measuring tape, but no more ultrasounds unless they have good reason.

This for me as well.

• One week I was measuring right on then the next week I was up 3 weeks. My OB ordered a growth US. It was completely unexpected and I know it isn't the norm. I was excited to see my LO again though! and yes...she is still beautiful! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesandylou:

I have not either, they just base it off of the belly measurements and I go by whatever that weeks email tells me the approximate weight should be.

I got a kick out of OP's I don't believe in extra ultrasounds unless something is wrong" remark though...not sure why :) Just the wording maybe.

I think she said SHE doesn't get extra ultrasounds - not that she doesn't believe in them.  I had to read it a couple of times.

My doc has never given me a weight estimate.  I just get told, "everything looks good."  Sometimes I wish I got more info, but I guess it's not the end of the world that I don't.

• imagejaejaevee:
    imagesandylou:

I have not either, they just base it off of the belly measurements and I go by whatever that weeks email tells me the approximate weight should be.

I think she said SHE doesn't get extra ultrasounds - not that she doesn't believe in them.  I had to read it a couple of times.

My doc has never given me a weight estimate.  I just get told, "everything looks good."  Sometimes I wish I got more info, but I guess it's not the end of the world that I don't.

You are right, that's what she said. Either way, makes no difference to me but for some reason I got a chuckle out of it my head...IDK why. Crazy town today!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

• cdobry01: "If we're being honest, nobody's baby is being weighed (except those who are already outside babies). Some women are having more ultrasounds (which aren't standard in most OB practices) during which the tech is estimating weight based on measurements. These weights are, in all likelihood, not correct."

Thank you for reminding everyone of this.

I can't tell you how many freaked out patients I have calling me at 37/38 weeks b/c their doctor is *certain*, based on the highly inaccurate ultrasound "weight", that their baby is going to be too big to deliver and they *must* induce now or get a c-section.  There probably are truly some big babies out there - but not a SINGLE patient who has been told their baby is already 9 lbs and they must deliver now before its too late actually had a correct weight.  It makes me so so sad to see all these women being pushed into a fearful early labor, or worse an unecessary c-section b/c of this new technology that is highly inaccurate.  And even if it was accurate - my best friend's 4'8" mother delivered 5 ten pound babies vaginally.  I wish the medical community would do away with "weighing" babies in-utero.  I see no good coming of it in my practice.

That being said, to answer the original question - I had one ultrasound at 19 weeks and will not have another one - so I don't have any idea of what my baby's weight is, and neither my midwife nor I am concerned about it.

• imageSpazzy1:
    I had my last ultrasound at 20 weeks or so for the growth scan, and that is it until delivery! My dr. told me that since everything has been going fine and I haven't had any issues I won't be having anymore ultrasounds.... I am kinda bummed, and kinda ok with it. I would love to see my LO again and know whats going on, but I don't like the cost of getting them!!

this!

• We haven't been given a weight estimate since our 20 week ultrasound.  When I get measured at my OB they always say I'm measuring "perfect" so I just assume he weighs whatever the average weight is according to websites and pregnancy phone apps...very scientific lol.  I have a growth u/s at 36 weeks though.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Nope, not unless you count the 3D u/s and I wont be getting anymore (I asked my OB last appointment) unless there is some sort of risk but since everything has been great they dont feel the need to request any more u/s, I wouldnt care but I am actually worried about how big LO will be being that my FIL, DH and stepson were ALL at least 10lbs at birth :S so I think I may bring this up on my next appointment since my OB also mentioned they wait about 1-2 after my EDD to induce or do anything.
  • I have no idea too!  My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks and since then my OB measures my belly and palpates my belly and that's about it.  She says I am measuring right on track.  I don't get anymore ultrasounds either unless something goes wrong.
  • My baby was only "weighed" at my 20 wk u/s.  I needed a follow up at 24 because the sonographer wasn't able to get everything at 20 weeks due to the baby's position, but even then I didn't get a "weight."  I don't put much stock in those weights anyway.  The margin of error on a u/s for weight is too high for my taste to think I'll know how much my baby weighs.   I'm content with the doctor telling me I'm measuring right where I should be, and am willing to leave it at that!
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Nope. I had an u/s at 20 weeks and that's the only one I'll have. I won't have another one unless my midwife deems it medically necessary.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nope, that's completely normal care.

With both pregnancies I had ultrasounds to estimate baby's weight. With DS #1, I got an ultrasound at 28 weeks because my doctor was concerned with my lack of weight gain since I am not overweight and wanted to check on baby's growth. Oddly enough, he ended up being 10lbs at birth.

With this pregnancy, I got another ultrasound at 26 weeks because I was measuring 3 weeks ahead. I will probably also get one more before delivery since there's a good chance this baby will also be excessively large because I have a history of baking a big baby.

The only way they will order a weight ultrasound is if something seems off. Women who measure significanly behind/ahead, have GD which commonly produces large babies, etc commonly get u/s to check on fetal weight. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope. I have never been told LO's estimated weight, and I don't really want to know since it can be off by so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"