February 2011 Moms
Options

Tape Measure Test by OB

Went to the Dr last week and she did the tape measure test and said that I seemed a little small (gained 24 lbs)...so she had me come back today for an ultrasound to measure the baby...ultrasound tech said that she weighed 2.3 lbs and that she was a little underweight, but nothing to be concerned about, nothing was dangerous, to increase my water (b/c it was hard for her to see the baby)...so my question is...what is normal at 28 weeks???

My DH and I were both 6 lb babies, so should we expect the same??

Re: Tape Measure Test by OB

• Options

Everything I have read says the baby should weigh anywhere from 2.0-2.5 lbs by now. However, a few appts ago (23 wks) she said the baby weighed about 2lbs by looking at the ultrasound.

I wouldn't worry about it! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had an u/s at 28 weeks and my LO was 2.3 lbs too.  She was in the 32 percentile, which is within the normal range.  The OB said I could eat more protein if LO is smaller than the 32 percentile next time, but she wasn't concerned.  She said LO would probably just be a small baby (which is good, because I was expecting a 9 pounder based on my mom's experiences).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, she mentioned 33% but that didn't mean much to me...
  • Options
    My fundal height was measuring small at 28 weeks so I too went for a growth ultrasound. According to the U/S my baby is only in the 15th percentile. I go back in two weeks when I will be 32 wks and some change for another growth ultrasound. As long as she doesn't drop down to the 10th percentile my doc isn't concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Aidan was 2lbs at 28w. At the u/s he was measuring under 2 lbs, but he hadn't been getting nutrients for almost 2 weeks. I wouldn't worry especially if your ob isn't.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

wouldn't worry about it. My doc told me that I needed to gain some weight by my next appt of she was sending me for a growth U/S, but then she said my belly was measuring on target. I know that baby is getting bigger because I;m losing weight on other parts of my body like my back and my arms.

Generally if you and DH were small then you will nost likely ahve a small baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    33% tells you that of a random selection of 100 babies, about 32 would be smaller than yours.  For the "tape measure test", around this point doctors expect to be seeing about 1cm for every week so the average woman would be measuring 28cm from pelvic bone to the top of the uterus.  But remember, with averages, someone always has to be the largest, someone the smallest and it can all be normal.  What matters is that the baby continues to grow steadily. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"