Multiples
Options

Question about twin gestational weight gain.

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with identical twin girls. They each currently weigh approximately 4 pounds. This is above average even for a singleton but no surprise since my other two children were 9 and 10 pounds. My question is does weight gain slow down for twins in the third trimester. I know weight gain usually increases in the third trimester for singleton. I am assuming it's different for everyone. I am expecting between 6-8 pounds for each girl and was just wondering if my expectations are accurate. I am hoping for healthy girls but I ideally don't want to break any records. Thanks.

Re: Question about twin gestational weight gain.

• Options
    i was told after 30-31 weeks weight gain slows down
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i don't think there is any difference in weight gain just b/c they are twins - assuming all is normal with the placenta/cord, etc.... there's no reason for twins to gain differently --- they typically are smaller at birth b/c they typically are born pre-term.

my twins were 6lb 6oz and 7lb 15.6oz at 38w.... my singleton was 7lb 4oz at 36w2d... so in the same range.

hopefully you will just have nice big twins!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I havent had my babies yet but I am almost in the same boat as you.I had my ultrasound today and both of my girls were 4 lbs and 4 oz.  I was thinking that if they made it to 6+ lbs we all would be doing just fine. 

• Options

I googled and found this https://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,6233,00.html

I also read in Dr. Luke's book that twins weight gain decelerates during the third trimester.

Good Luck, and here's to healthy chubby babies!

• Options

I like you at 31 weeks had above average weights for my twins. My twins were born at 6lb 9oz and 7lb 10oz at 36w3d. I had big twins (especially with them being born at 36 weeks) hopefully you will have the same. Even the nurses and doctors were surprised and happy at the big healthy weights of my twins. Best of luck to you. =)

• Options

My MFM told me at my last appt that my twins are a little above for singletons right now and that they typically taper off.

She told me they base everything off of stats for singletons and that twins start to fall behind the curve in thrid tri.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"