December 2010 Moms
Options

Carter James is here (3.5 weeks early!)

I got up to pee at 4am and then again at 4:30am (after hearing my husband hit the bathroom).  Thought it was odd I had to pee so frequently.  Anyway.  Couldn't fall back asleep and heading downstairs at 5am for some cookies and milk.  Got to the bottom of the stairs and felt as if I had lost control of my bladder.  My sleep shorts were soaked.  I panicked and tried talking myself out of this being my water breaking (afterall - I had another 3.5 weeks right?! Wrong).  Had my milk and cookies and stood up to go back to bed when I noticed the slight gush of water now at my feet.  This was really happening. 

Of course I didn't have my hospital bag packed - and as luck would have it - most of the items I needed to bring needed to be washed.  So I did what any sane woman would do - laundry.  Ugh.  I was in the nursery at 6:30 picking out clothes for the LO to go home in when DH walked in and asked what was wrong.  (I didn't wake him up b/c again I tried to convince myself this wasn't happening.)  I said calmly "I think my water broke" - and then burst into tears saying "Its too early - I'm not ready for this."  He gave me the most reassuring hug and kiss and told me we were ready for anything.  He helped me pack my things and then he had to install the car seat in the car.  Took a shower and finally called hospital.  At this point my contractions were strong - but not over the top - and about 5 to 10 minutes apart. 

We get to the hospital at 9:30 and I'm already 3cm dilated.  We then get situated in our room and the contractions start coming stronger and faster.  By 1:30pm I'm 6cm dilated.  I'd asked for the epidural about an hour earlier but it was a busy day.  In the interim I was given some mild pain sedative via the IV drip.  Anyway, once i hit the 6cm point my body started pushing on its on - very crazy.  I'm told at this point that its too late and we don't have time for the epidural.  Oddly enough - I don't freak out.  I just wan to keep pushing and get the baby odd and get the contractions to stop.

After an hour of pushing and no drugs Carter James made his way into the world.  5 pounds 7 oz and 18.5 inches long.  Its true what they say - the second you first see and hear your baby all the pain is forgotten. 

I wouldn't have changed a thing about the way our little man came into the world - it was beatiful and probably the reality check I needed with DH and I being such huge planners.  Its good to expect the unexpected.  : )

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Carter James is here (3.5 weeks early!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"