Parenting after a Loss

How did you build your BM stash?

I have a hard time pumping any extra milk to save for when DH and I go out.  I feel like when I pump during the day LO doesn't get enough milk and I end up giving him the bottle I pumped.  I don't get a ton of milk...Maybe 2-3 ounces total if I'm lucky (Not sure if that's normal?)  I'm considering waking up in the night to pump but I REALLY don't want to!  How did you build your breastmilk stash?

Re: How did you build your BM stash?

• I don't know if it's "right or wrong," but here's what I did, and it has worked for us.  It's important to note, though, that I often feel like a dairy cow (said as I get ready to pump in a few minutes).

Since LO was readmitted to the hospital at four days old for jaundice, I had to start pumping right away to give her a supplement of BM.  After the pediatrician told me I could stop supplementing, I didn't want to stop pumping, since I knew I had to go back to work.  I got the most milk in the mornings, so that was a definite time to pump.  After about three weeks, I added in an evening/night pumping session, which was great for building my supply, and definitely helped once LO was STTN (at 8 weeks). 

I pump about an hour after she eats.  I pump for 20 minutes with a Medela Freestyle.  I get between 3-5 ounces per side each time.  In addition to twice daily pumping, when I go to work, I pump every 3-4 hours, which usually yields 25-30 ounces total. 

I have about 2000 ounces saved now...I don't know if I'll even be able to use it all just because even at -10 degrees, some of it may "expire" before I can use it.  I give her freshly pumped milk as often as possible, but am cycling out one frozen bottle each day that I work. 

HTH.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepapetvet:

I pump about an hour after she eats.  I pump for 20 minutes with a Medela Freestyle.  I get between 3-5 ounces per side each time.  In addition to twice daily pumping, when I go to work, I pump every 3-4 hours, which usually yields 25-30 ounces total. 

I have about 2000 ounces saved now...I don't know if I'll even be able to use it all just because even at -10 degrees, some of it may "expire" before I can use it.  I give her freshly pumped milk as often as possible, but am cycling out one frozen bottle each day that I work. 

HTH.

Wow - That is WAY more than I get!  The most I've ever gotten is 3 ounces total.  I wonder if I have supply issues and don't even know it.  :-0  Although, LO is growing well according to his pediatrician so maybe he's just not eating much yet?

I've heard there are places that you can donate breast milk.  That might be something to look into if you think it will expire before you can use it all. 

• Loading the player...
  • I started pumping in the morning after DD's first feeding when she was about 1 month old.  I would get about 4 ounces total at first, now I get at least 8, sometimes 10 or more (especially when she sleeps 7+ hours at night...I will wake up reeeeally full!!).  A few weeks ago I added a night time session, I pump right before going to bed which is about 1-2 hours after she has last BF.  When I started that I only got 1-3 ounces total.  After a few days it started to increase gradually and now I get ~6 ounces at night. 

I actually think I'm going to drop the night session because I have close to 400 ounces in my deep freezer and I don't have much more room!!  Hopefully when I go back to work in a couple weeks I'm able to pump what DD needs so we can just use fresh milk as much as possible. 

If you're pumping right after he has eaten, that is probably why you're only getting a few ounces.  Pick one time to pump (morning is best, your supply is the highest it will be all day), and be consistant and you should see an increase.  Also, drinking TONS of water will help. :-)  GL!

BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Don't worry about your supply.  The most I've ever gotten is 6oz total, and Jason's growing just fine.  To build my stash I would "half-pump" first thing in the morning, taking advantage of that early morning engorgement.  "half-pump" means just pumping for like 10 minutes, that way I still had enough milk in case Jason woke up but still be able to build my stash.  At first I would only get like 2oz total and I would try to pump again later in the day (during his late-morning or early-afternoon nap) to try to get up to 3oz per bag, which is a perfectly reasonable amount of milk for a 1 month old, for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was never a big pumper producer so please don't worry about your supply.  I too used to read posts about what others would pump and then think there was something wrong with my output- but things are more than fine here.

I pumped 2x a day- after her morning nursing and then after she went down and before  I went to sleep- she STTN.  I dropped the night session b/c I was just too tired and started to build a pretty good stash. 

My output ranges from anywhere to 1-3 oz per side.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement!!!  I really appreciate all of your insight.  I am going to try pumping in the morning.  I didn't know I had more supply then!  Hopefully when he starts STTN I can pump before bed, too.
  • I do not get very much either. Right now I wake up at 1am to pump, which sucks horribly, but I'm only doing it for another 3 weeks or so (when I go back to work). At that time I get between 5-6 ounces total and that's after going 5-6 hours since the last feeding. When I try to pump during the day/evening if someone is giving Andrew a bottle, I'll only get about 3 ounces. I've never responded well to the pump, which is why I am probably going to have to start supplementing with formula once I go back to work.
    Andrew James born 7/9/10 @ 7:13pm - 7lbs 14oz & 20in Baby #2: EDD 11/2/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"