Breastfeeding
Options

Nervous New Mom-to-Be

My LO is not here yet, and I want to BF, but I am getting very nervous.  I have fed babies bottles many times and I know with a new baby you have to give them about an ounce at a time and then burp them.  How will I know when to burp baby while BFing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nervous New Mom-to-Be

• Options
    Don't be nervous and congrats on your decision to breastfeed!! I have read and heard that many mommies will burp their babies after feeding on each breast, so twice. My DD never cared anything about burping...ever! Just to make sure though, after feeding on one side I would hold her on my shoulder and rub her back gently to help any air up. If she did need to burp, it wouldn't take long, then we would switch sides. Babies will burp when they need to, so try to focus more on the feeding and everything else will come in time! Good luck to you!!
    imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

most of the time bf babies need to burp less than bottle babies.  there is air in bottles, but not in your breasts! :)  I used to burp ds after each side, but he would only have a little burp about half the time and other times nothing.  you'll learn your baby, don't worry! <-- ok. I know it's impossible not to worry. 

my best advice would be to contact a lactation consultant asap if one is not provided for you in a hospital.  even if things are going well.  it's way better to get help BEFORE you are frustrated than when you are at your wit's end.

congratulations on your baby!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a momma yet, but I was just reading in a parenting pamphlet today that you can try burping BF'd babies after each side. If nothing comes up within 30 seconds or so, it's safe to say they don't need to burp. HTH...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    just burp your LO when s/he is done or fussy, ... people make the silliest rules
  • Options

imageRachelMarie83:
    My LO is not here yet, and I want to BF, but I am getting very nervous.  I have fed babies bottles many times and I know with a new baby you have to give them about an ounce at a time and then burp them.  How will I know when to burp baby while BFing?

your bf nervousness is only burping-related? you're in great shape, then!

my baby does not burp at the breast. only when bottle fed, and not often then. you can try to burp yours when you switch sides, but don't be surprised if she doesn't.

btw, there is no rule abt burping. every baby is different. plus if you don't burp them, the sky doesn't fall. they just get gassy. ;-)

• Options

Thank you for all your responses.  They are all greatly appreciated!!

imageAllie30:

your bf nervousness is only burping-related? you're in great shape, then!

Burping isn't the only thing I am nervous about, just the current panic of the moment! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"