Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What would you do? Or are you doing this too?

My SIL and I were talking about Christmas, for which we have already purchased presents for one of our neices.  And my SIL said that her and other SIL had talked and wanted to do a spending limit of like 20 dollars on each kid and then give them "money for college".  They are 3 weeks and 2 years.  Now, my son has a savings fund for college, but I don't feel like it is appropriate to give him (us) money for that account for Christmas.  Birthday maybe, but not Christmas.  Further more, not that we went crazy or anything, but we already bought our neice a gift and it exceeds the 20 dollar limit.  What ever happened to just allowing people to buy what they want to buy.  Also, they ALWAYS say, now we aren't getting eachother presents, just the kids and grandma, but then they "make" some crocheted item or blanket or something small and say, "Oh I just threw this together, it really didn't cost anything!"  So here I am, with NO gift for them, feeling like a butthead.  Are any of you putting down "terms" for LO's presents?
image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What would you do? Or are you doing this too?

• Nope, no terms at all.  We will accept anything.  If history repeats itself, LO will probably get $5k for her college fund + $1k for her investment account + clothes/toys.  You won't see me complaining.  Smile
  • We usually set terms with cousins. Grandparents/Aunts Uncles get LO whatever they want.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Please don't take me wrong, I am not complaining, I just don't like being 'limited". 

• imagearte79:
    Nope, no terms at all.  We will accept anything.  If history repeats itself, LO will probably get $5k for her college fund + $1k for her investment account + clothes/toys.  You won't see me complaining.  Smile

Wow, you're family must be pretty flush!  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagediana.filipi:

imagearte79:
    Nope, no terms at all.  We will accept anything.  If history repeats itself, LO will probably get $5k for her college fund + $1k for her investment account + clothes/toys.  You won't see me complaining.  Smile

Oh WOW!  Boy did I read that wrong...lol, I was thinking dang only 6 bucks for Christmas.....LOL, I am tired.

• only limits i'm aware of is my aunt saying they were only buying for Evelyn (and likely Becky) this year, but that's more a financial issue than anything else.
  • imagediana.filipi:

imagearte79:

It's from the grandparents.  I guess it's because LO is the first and only grandchild on both sides.  The IL's reason (they give $5k for birthday and $5k for Christmas) is that they prefer to give away their $$$ to their love ones while alive instead of leaving huge inheritance.

• In my family we only buy for the kids and my mom and we stick to that. 

We don't set limits on spending.  But I set a limit for myself because I know what I can and can't spend.  I have 10 kids to buy for (8 nieces and nephews on my side and 2 kids on DH's side).  So I try to spend around $20-$25 on each kid.

I agree with the OP on the college money thing. I can see that for a birthday, but not for Christmas.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• No, it's not my job to dictate what others want to give DS. If someone wants to give him money for his savings account, I will gratefully accept it.  The money is for HIM not US. Big differrence there.

I also have a few people who we "don't exchange" with, but we'll typically give each other some baked goodies or other homemade treats. I don't view this on equal footing with buying gifts because it's so inexpensive. 

If you know your SIL will have something for you, why not start putting together a basket of homemade breads and cookies?

• imagearte79:

hmmm... I'd like to join your family, thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"