Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Techniques for getting baby to nap?

I have a 6wk old, EBF baby. I feel like I only have the ability to nurse her to sleep but I'm trying to figure out how to get her down for naps without nursing her (a modified eat-wake-sleep thing). She sleeps swaddled, lightly for naps, more snugly for night and sleeps in her rock and play because of reflux. I don't have a problem nursing her to sleep for nighttime but I want to develop some techniques for getting her to sleep without being nursed and I don't want to do CIO, I don't think it's appropriate for her age. I don't have a swing but I'm probably going to get one this week. Oh and she's not a paci fan.

Any additional suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Techniques for getting baby to nap?

• Options

Try "Happiest Baby on the Block" and the 5 S's it talks about. We use them every day/night now.

Also, stay in tune with sleep cues. Once I see DD yawn once or get fussy after being up for an hour +, I go ahead and swaddle, paci, and place her on her side face in towards me. That usually does the trick.

• Options

An alternative to a swing is a vibrating chair - our LO loves his and it's a great place to pop him for a little daytime nap while I cook or tidy up the house. It keeps him in a comfy upright position too.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your baby sounds exactly like mine, down to not being a paci fan. I'm anxious to see what others suggest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I often swaddle DD w/ paci and hold her on her side facing me and stand while swaying side to side. Sometimes I hum or sing lullabies or pat her on the back.

• Options

I've been advised and tried several things that are all hit and miss depending on his mood so I have to try each one to see what he feels like. (Note: Julian is FF so idk if that makes a difference and his a little older than ur baby at 10 wks.....I hope some of this works!)

lay him on his tummy with paci in his mouth and rub his back.

loosely wrap him in a blankie and cuddle him on his side next to me in bed (this usually works if Im also trying to sleep when he sleeps but if you're trying to use his naps to do things around the house or want to keep him in his crib, this wont work)

swaddle him up tight, paci and rock his body back and forth.

Hold him in my arms and swing him swiftly from side to side

lay him on his tummy on my chest (sometimes he wants to be on his tummy but wants some skin to skin)

the other day, I turned on singing cartoons really loud, swaddled and paci'd him and sat him in his bouncer in front of the tv. He watched for about 10 min and was out like a light, I think it was the music.

I hold him upright with his head resting on my shoulder and lightly bounce him with the arm I'm holding him with and either pat his back or his bum with my other hand.

With all these, I also sometimes "SSHHH-SSHHH-SSHHH"  right near his ear, the Pedi says its calming....sometimes Julian is into it, sometimes he's not.

Also try Simplynoise.com, playing it on my laptop and sitting it near him has helped too sometimes.

Just like regular adults, he has a mood and good/bad days! It may be tedious but sometimes I literally have to go through all of these before I find what works and sometimes thats at 3 or 4 in the morning. Sometimes he won't like any of it but if I let him cry for a min or two, it tires him out a bit more and I go through the list again and the first thing I try knocks him out so, it could be that he was just to fussy to focus the first time. Do what works for the both of you! GL!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We use the EASY system.

EAT

ACTIVITY

SLEEP

YOU (do whatever you want while they sleep) 

It works really well for us! When she wakes up from a nap, I change her and feed her, then burp her. Then we do an activity, like a bath, the swing, her playmat, bumbo chair, reading, etc... whatever we feel like doing. Then I rock her to sleep in the rocking chair with a paci all wrapped up in a blanket and place her in her crib once she's out. Then I have me time. :) 

It works well for us, but not everyone! I've heard good things about everything the PPs said, so maybe just trial and error to see what works best for you! 

GL!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"