3rd Trimester

ultrasound safety

Has anyone discussed the safety of u/s with their doctor?  I've had a lot of ultrasounds in this pg due to some early bleeding.  My dr wants to do another u/s next week and for some reason I am really nervous about the number of u/s I have had.  It is probably because one of my friends is electing to have no u/s because she believes they may be linked to autism.  I don't buy into this stuff normally, but I don't know if it's the hormones or what, but I am really uncomfortable about the thought of another u/s.  Dh is an m.d. and he thinks I'm crazy for worrying about this.  He's pretty dismissive about the whole thing, so I can't get information from him about this.  I saw the nurse practitioner yesterday because my dr was running behind, and so I couldn't really ask him about it, although, my uneasiness started after the appointment.  Does anyone have any info or thoughts?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: ultrasound safety

• I've been getting a bunch of u/s and have a bunch more scheduled through the rest of the pregnancy. My dr and I discussed this early on and she doesn't feel there is a link.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I discussed this with my doctor as a friend of mine is studying to be an ultrasound tech and wanted me to come in for a scan. He said they were perfectly safe and there are no links to any negative effects for the baby....apparently these scans are done without radiation of any kind...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Its high frequency sound they use, not radiation. Its X-rays and CT scans etc that you should be worried about.
  • I feel that if my OB feels the benefit of an u/s outweighs the possible risk of an u/s it's fine by me. She's spent way more time studying obsterics than I have.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i had one of those 3d/4d ultrasounds done that i had to pay for, before going i asked my doctor, she said they haven't been proven safe, but not unsafe. not satisfied with that generic answer, i did some research the FDA who regulates pretty much everything in health care long story short has found no link between 2d 3d/4d ultra sounds causing birth defects or other problems in pregnacy.

• There is insufficient evidence on the saftey of multiple US in pregnancy.

US can be helpful in so many ways when there the need arises for one. I personally believe they are overused & abused.

Taking a Dr.s word for it was not good enough for me. OB's typically do not research a new product. If it's conveinient - they use it. In the 1940's OB's were giving all women x-rays to determine fetal size. Only AFTER when babies were being born & developing childhood cancer did they stop doing the x-rays.

If the benefits outweigh the possible risks, only then would I get one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"