Cincinnati Babies

Good Sam moms

I'm rechecking my bag. Any tips on things to bring and/or NOT bring to the hospital? (I assume Good Sam is pretty typical in supplying things like pads/diapers and whatnot, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.) :)

Any other advice is appreciated too. Thank you! :)

Re: Good Sam moms

• Is it sad that I can't remember what they had and didn't have? Those three days were kind of a blur...It might be helpful (for me, at least) to see your list of what you have packed and to go from there. It might jog my memory a bit. Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Take a roll of Charmin!

Also, I took some lanolin. I think they probably have this if you ask for it, but even after they said they'd bring it to me they never did, and it was nice not to have to wait. And take nursing pads.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Hah, okay!  

nightgown (crappy and can be ruined)

robe

socks

swim suit 

sweatpants 

2 shirts

nursing bras

slippers

bag of toiletries (shampoo, facewash, lotion, comb, deodorant, basic makeup, etc.)

bobby pins, rubber bands, headband 

breast pads

nipple cream

lavender room spray 

rice sock

tennis balls 

yoga mat (for labor positions on the floor. is that ridiculous?)

ipod w/ portable speaker

camera

phone charger

chart of laboring positions and tape to stick it to the wall 

Debating taking the boppy

For baby:

2 outfits

nail clippers

mittens

socks 

fleece swaddler 

And H is in charge of packing his own bag.  

Hospital will have pads, mesh undies, and diapers yes? Is it worth it to pack my own underwear? 

• I also took shower shoes and was glad I did. I took the Boppy and was glad for that too. I also took my own pillow for once we got in the recovery room. And, seriously, the Charmin was the very best thing I took.

The hospital will have pads, mesh undies and diapers. I think I packed a pair of underwear I didn't mind having ruined, but I didn't use them. I ended up even taking some extra mesh underwear home with me. I don't think you'll need the fleece swaddler. The hospital blankets are great for swaddling newborns, and the nurses are pros.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • I am assuming you are aiming for an unmedicated child birth experience based on your list of things-- I was induced and went unmedicated almost the entire time using bradley techniques (I got the epidural 20 mins before DS was born and it never kicked in so I am going to say I went unmedicated haha) Anyhow my SIL was my L&D nurse and I used the birthing tubs I will say in advance when you get to triage tell them you plan on using the birthing tub. There are some rooms that are better equipped for it and they might say the room you are in isnt  equipped but I am pretty sure they all are but some are less convienent (the hook up is out in the hall vs. in the room) and it takes some time to get the tub cleaned and filled so you might want to take that into consideration for when you ask for it. I will say that it was AWESOME and really helped me handle my contractions.

Also--I dont know what kind of bathing suit you are bringing but I would highly recommend just bringing a bathing suit top and asking for a pair of mesh undies for when you are in the tub. I actually just wore a sports bra and mesh undies and this worked out great since I had to keep the monitors on me while in the tub (which the monitors CAN be submerged in water if your nurse says they cant then ask for a second opinion).

The yoga mat might actually come in handy for your DH...my sister was my doula and brought along some kneeling pads for her and my DH to use which came in handy for them to be able to kneel next to me while I was in the tub, on the birthing ball, etc. So whether you use it or not it might come in handy for other labor support people.

I would recommend bringing a boppy and some nice toilet paper from home. I also would recommend bringing some tucks wipes or some witch hazel wipes--these felt great for the first couple times going to the bathroom.

For baby I wouldnt worry about the fleece swaddler or nail clippers...like pp said they have great blankets there to swaddle with and you will be provided with one size fits all shirts/onesies for the baby as well as diaper, wipes, bottles, nipples, formula (if you should need it for any reason), baby hat, nasal aspirator, etc. I totally took advantage of all the stuff they give you for the baby. My SIL who is the L&D nurse at Good Sam said to load up your diaper bag w/ diapers, wipes, burp cloths, basically everything you can get your hands on b/c you can always request more while you are in the hospital and its great stuff to have to take home with you.

I would also suggest to plan on meeting with the hospital lactation consultant b/c 1. its free and 2. you can request nipple shields and pump parts which come in handy if you end up needing to rent a hospital grade pump, buying a medela pump, etc. 3. its a great way to get some tips and pointers on nursing as well as info about nursing/pumping and local resources available for once youre out of the hospital. You can also request to have a pump brought to your room if you feel the need to use one. It should be hospital grade (obviously) and they will give you the pump parts and info on how to use it. I also was given Lanolin and breast pads but its not a bad idea to bring some of your own in case you have to wait for them to bring it to you. Okay, so thats all I can think of. HTH! GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageOliveBaby:

Hah, okay!  

nightgown (crappy and can be ruined)

robe

socks

swim suit  - I didn't pack this, but I didn't go in the birthing tub, which is what I'm assuming this would be for (they don't have an Olympic size pool, if that's what you were thinking Wink )

sweatpants 

2 shirts

nursing bras

slippers

bag of toiletries (shampoo, facewash, lotion, comb, deodorant, basic makeup, etc.)

bobby pins, rubber bands, headband 

breast pads

nipple cream

lavender room spray 

rice sock

tennis balls 

yoga mat (for labor positions on the floor. is that ridiculous?)

ipod w/ portable speaker

camera

phone charger

chart of laboring positions and tape to stick it to the wall 

Debating taking the boppy

For baby:

2 outfits

nail clippers

mittens

socks 

fleece swaddler 

And H is in charge of packing his own bag.  

Hospital will have pads, mesh undies, and diapers yes? Is it worth it to pack my own underwear? 

I think your list is good! The only other things I might recommend would be change for the vending machine (beverage choices are limited in the snack room) and your laptop! Also, I recommend minimizing the number of bags, unless you're going to have a lot of help getting home. You won't feel like carrying heavy/multiple bags, and you'll have a baby to carry that you didn't have to carry when you arrived. Just my thoughts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you both!! Super helpful.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"