Upstate NY Babies

Fifths Disease

We went to a neighbor's house yesterday to play, and she called me today to tell me she now thinks her little boy has Fifths Disease.  She's waiting for an accurate diagnosis from the doctor - she is just going based on his symptoms.  But, now that I'm pregnant, I'm worried....I'm going to wait to see what the doctor says before I call mine, but I'm praying he really doesn't have it, for his sake and mine!

Re: Fifths Disease

• Scary stuff.. Hopefully he doesn't have it so you don't have to worry and if he does have it.. hopefully you're just fine..
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • uh oh... I hope he doesn't have it either!

When I was pregnant a kid in my SIL's class (she teaches 1st grade) had 5ths disease, and she wasn't allowed to be around me. I don't remember why... but both her doc and my OB said to stay away from eachother for at least a week.

• Loading the player...
  • Of course I googled it and it can mean nothing, but it can be serious for a fetus.  And of course it says if it is going to affect the baby it is worse the earlier you are.  
  • Lovely.  She just called me back and said the nurse thinks it's Fifth's Disease, but they aren't bringing him in to test him or anything.  So I guess I'll call my OB tomorrow and see what they say.  T&Ps please that this turns out to be no big deal!
  • While it's true it is a TORCH infection, take consolation in the fact that it is highly unlikely to make it to adulthood without having had parvovirus. Odds are you had it as a child but didn't manifest symptoms, in which case you would have immune system protection towards it now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFortMyersBride:
    While it's true it is a TORCH infection, take consolation in the fact that it is highly unlikely to make it to adulthood without having had parvovirus. Odds are you had it as a child but didn't manifest symptoms, in which case you would have immune system protection towards it now.

True, and didn't you used to teach before being SAHM?  I am positive you have been exposed at some point before now.

Good luck!

• fingers crossed for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies!  Yes, I did teach prior to SAH, and I was hoping I'd been exposed and just didn't know it.  I'm still going to call the doc when they open.  I'm trying not to worry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"