Success after IF
Options

Potty Training - Poop Q's?

So DD will pee all day long on the potty (granted, we're on day 5 total) without an accident. She REFUSES to even try to push out poop while on the toilet.

I can tell she's about to poop, I rush her to the toilet, sit her on there. She holds it. Let her off, she starts again in her panties. Rush her to the toilet, she holds it....we can do this all day long. Then she gets REALLY REALLY upset and angry and says, "LEAVE MY POOP ALONE!". I don't want to shame her about potty time and I don't want her to feel like I'm mad at her (although I'm NOT happy). I don't want her to regress on the progress she's made.

I _DO_ get that we're 5 days into this but I know she can do it and she just won't.

What do you do?!

Re: Potty Training - Poop Q's?

• Options

Lucy never complained about going poop but there were a few things we did to encourage her.

#1  cookies, yes we gave her cookies and still do now whenever she poops.  She's been potty trained for almost a year and we are still expected to hand out cookies each time  I swear she can now poop on command when she wants a cookie  :)

#2  when you see her ready to go try not to make a big deal about it, sometimes with Lucy, without even talking to her I'd take her hand and lead her to the potty and we'd read a book.  Takes the focus off what I want her to do and let nature take it's course.  You may want to take a day or two off from "poop training" to let her calm down before trying it again, it might be too stressful right now.  I'd keep up with the potty and praise like crazy and maybe mention a cookie or other reward (sticker etc.) 

GL!

Stressful!!!

E

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    well you know my story. She just conquered her own fear. Once she went that one time, we just made a huuuuge deal about it and I just kept saying, we dont need to go in your diaper anymore! Since then she's had once accident in her pants, and boy was she upset about it. I've learned you cannot force it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pretty much what E said!! Bribes!!
  • Options

Good advice with a positive reward!

What's her currency?

For my guys it was specific underwear.

We'd gotten pee down but poop was still an issue.  I put them in boring solid colored underwear and then handed him a brand new package of underwear not yet opened (Thomas for D, Buzz for J - you know her best!).

I explained that they got to put on the COOL underwear as soon as they pooped in the potty.

That underwear then went by the toilet as a visual reminder and motivator.

Once they were wearing the cool underwear DH would make their underwear sing songs to them in the character's voice.   Buzz or Thomas would gently remind them from time to time "Peep peep.... don't poop (or pee) on me!"  They were much more motivated to NOT poop on Buzz than they were to poop in the potty.

Then...  I tried to teach them to push poop out.  Letting it fall out is what most kids do and hence most accidents because they are not learning to hold and control it well.  We had a BLAST learning how to push poop out.  I swear we have at least 3 "poop" songs and the boys would crack up when DH or I would kneel in front of them making the "push" face (red face, veins bulging on neck while saying "POOOOOP" in a Bruce Springsteen voice. 

Now... I know darned good and well when one of them needs to poop.  They get what we call "poop belly"  (giant distended belly).  I sometimes still prompt them (mostly if they've got a big belly before bed so they're not getting back up to go potty) 

Another good thing is to teach her what it feels like when she needs to poop and explain what that feeling is.  Most kids describe it as "my tummy hurts".  Explain that that "hurt" is the poop trying to get out and the longer you hold it in the more your tummy will hurt.  

Nothing about that is anatomically correct but it's an explanation simple enough that they start to understand what that feeling is.  Once done pooping ask "Does your tummy/belly feel better now?"  Again - showing them that there's more than 1 benefit to putting the poop in the potty - you actually feel better after!

And last - ask what she's afraid of.  Sometimes they'll tell you exactly why they DON'T want to poop in the potty or why the DO want to poop in their pants.  Then you can manage the real issue head on.

HTH!

GL!!! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"