Breastfeeding

pumping at work

This is my second day back at work and I'm not pumping as much as I'd like/need to.  Any tips on how to get the most milk possible?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pumping at work

• My first week back at work I did not pump as much until I got use to the routine and my body adjusted to pumping.  Try breast massage before pumping, compressions while pumping, eat oatmeal, drink enough water, and try not to stress as much as possible (easier said than done).  Pumping at the same time, every day also helps.  You can take fenugreek or drink Mother's Milk tea, it can sometimes help within a few days.
  • Bring one of LO receiving blankets or maybe a picture to use while pumping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • been back at work 6 months- here is what I have found works to help, I found the first few weeks back were hard being away from baby and getting used to pumping more than  nursing. I felt like it was very physically different for my body. 

drink a lot of water- it is easy to get busy and forget

1 bottle of gaterade a day

fenugreek ( 3 caps 3x's a day)

think of baby while pumping- I brought his baby book to work and spend time working on that while pumping

massage breasts while pumping to help squeeze out the milk

once the milk has stopped flowing, go back to the quick pumping phase to being on another letdown

Good luck- it does get easier.

• This happens to a lot of people, so don't fret.  It is difficult because you are also stressed about the transition at this point. 

First off are you sure you are not pumping what you need? 

My tips:

Pump for 20 min.  I always get a 2nd and sometimes 3rd letdown.

Try to relax while pumping.  Do something that is mundane.

Look at a picture of your LO and see if it makes a difference.  It sounded crazy for me, but it does seem to help.

Make sure you are comfortable.  Are your horns the right size?  If they pinch you can use oil.  If they hurt you will be getting less output.  Also, turn the pump until it is uncomfortable and then turn it down.  Pumping should not hurt. 

Eat enough, and eat good.  Protein.  Enough water intake.  Fenugreek has helped me as well. 

GL you will get there.  I tend to add in a pumping session to accomodate lack in pumping per session.  Usually in the AM or before bed after LO is in bed for the night. 

You are doing a great job!  Hang in there!

• Thanks for all the tips.  I'm trying to drink plenty of water (brought my big jug to remind me).  I think my problem is that I'm stressing and attempting to work while pumping, which is adding to the stress.  I wish I could just stay home.  Nursing is so much easier than pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use to bring my blackberry when I pumped, but I find I relax better if I read or play games on my ipod and close my eyes to think about DD.
  • imageshoeboxx:
    Bring one of LO receiving blankets or maybe a picture to use while pumping.

I tried this and it didn't work for me at all.  I do a lot better if I don't think about the baby or milk or pumping at all.  I have to listen to my mp3 player or read a book so that I totally take my mind off it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"