Working Moms

What are you getting your nanny for christmas

I just read an article from Care.com that said most nannies "expect" a week's salary for a christmas bonus. We didn't exactly work that into our budget. I was thinking a couple paid days off over the holidays since my dh and I have the week between christmas and new years anyways.  Is a week's salary really the norm? If you aren't doing this, what are you giving?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are you getting your nanny for christmas

• Personally, I have never given a week's salary in the 3 years we've had a nanny. A gift is exactly that...a gift. I call BS that a nanny "expects" a week's salary. This year I will probably give nanny a $100 gift card and something small from the kids.
  • I'm getting her a gift because we give her extra time off and sick days (in addition to vacation).  I do think it may be quite normal to give a week salary but we live in HCOL area. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekirac:
    I'm getting her a gift because we give her extra time off and sick days (in addition to vacation).  I do think it may be quite normal to give a week salary but we live in HCOL area. 

I'm sure this will be a "duh" moment, but what is HCOL? I've seen this before and always wondered.

• Actually, 2 weeks pay is standard here.  I'm having a hard time with that since she started working for us in mid-october. 
  • We do a bonus of 1 week pay plus an extra little gift (a nice picture frame, something they collect, gift basket for their family, etc).  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is what I am doing and I worked it into the daycare budget.  I get a bonus, so should she!  That is my philosophy.
  • Pro-rate it. That is what I did last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"