Washington Babies

Need Holiday Menu Help Please!

So what started as spending our 1st Christmas with baby at home, enjoying our new family, has morphed into us having a house full of family that I need to cook for!  Indifferent

So I'm planning to do a pretty traditional meal on Christmas day, but I'm in need of help for a veggie. I'm going to do ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, some type of bread, and a veggie. Problem is, I can't think of anything that sounds good. I don't want just plain old green beans or anything like that, and would like to get a little creative (but easy to make, hopefully), but not too outrageous.

Anyone have any ideas for a good side dish veggie? It doesn't have to be just the veggie; I'm up for casseroles, au gratin, etc.

Please share your holiday menu! Thank you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need Holiday Menu Help Please!

• I know you said no green beans, but my mom makes whole green beans (just the ends cut off) with grilled onions and diced bacon and its sooo good. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ooh! That sounds really good. What isn't good when there's bacon involved? Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I made this for thanksgiving. Soo yummy and better than the kind used with canned soup. I used extra ritz crackers too.

https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Green-Bean-Casserole/Detail.aspx

• I agree with the beans, bacon and onion.  I like to use the pearl onions.
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • Our family always has coleslaw. It's so good!

You could do a spinach au gratin (I have a recipe from Ina Garten that is good).

Beans and bacon... yum!! 

Broccoli salad (broccoli, raisins or cranberries, sunflower seeds, red onion, sharp cheddar cheese with dressing. You can also put bacon in it as well.) 

• What about a green bean casserole with like French's fried onions on top?
  • For Thanksgiving this year, my SIL roasted brussel sprouts in a single layer on a cookie sheet, after tossing them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Then she melted some butter, added a little splash of vanilla, and tossed the sprouts in the vanilla butter with some dried cranberries.  They were soooo good!
  • imagedoublem:
    For Thanksgiving this year, my SIL roasted brussel sprouts in a single layer on a cookie sheet, after tossing them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Then she melted some butter, added a little splash of vanilla, and tossed the sprouts in the vanilla butter with some dried cranberries.  They were soooo good!

This is what I was going to suggested! Well, just roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ some sea salt and garlic oil... but this sounds even better!!

• I made brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving and it was one of the few dishes that didn't have any leftovers.  I trimmed the sprouts and cut them in half, roasted them with olive oil and salt & pepper at 425, stirring now and then til they were tender and had some caramelization on them (think it was about 30 minutes or so).  Separately I cooked diced bacon and sweet onions until the bacon was crisp and the onions were caramelized, added a little butter and a touch of brown sugar and tossed that with the sprouts when they were done.  Sooo good!  :)
    -Deborah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"