Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

So I know it's not Friday

but this could possibly be flameworthy.

I get super-annoyed with some of the Baby Name posters.

Why care if a name is alternatively spelled, or "outlandish?" It's a big world out there and there are a lot of names. They should get used to that fact and then they wouldn't have to Ick! so often, or burst any more blood vessels when they 'Bwahahaha.' The attitude just seems rather waspy or highfalutin'.

Re: So I know it's not Friday

• Options
    There are a few that are more so like that than others.  I'm still in wonder that some people use that as their home board!
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    Yea I agree with you. People would totally flame me for my DD name. It'spelled wrong with a "y". But they must have spelled wrong in the 70's becuase I got her name from a family friend who's now in her late 30's. It's not hard to read or anything but I love it. Baby names only like traditional names.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't care for "alternative" spellings, or made up names. The way I see it, every child is unique whether her name is Sally or dfsklJHJFKSHJK. The only difference is that Sally's name will grow well with her.

I do agree that many many many of the Baby Names posters have the same styles and over time it gets a little boring, as you can predict exactly what everyone will say but that's the nature of TB in general.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageABColeslaw:
    There are a few that are more so like that than others.  I'm still in wonder that some people use that as their home board!

Yep. I'm not lumping them all into one. I guess it's just the nature of an opinion based board, you know?

• Options
    imagebobbyme:

Why care if a name is alternatively spelled, or "outlandish?" It's a big world out there and there are a lot of names. They should get used to that fact and then they wouldn't have to Ick! so often, or burst any more blood vessels when they 'Bwahahaha.' The attitude just seems rather waspy or highfalutin'.

I'm not a fan od creative spellings typically, I think they leave a child open to years of correcting spelling and pronunciations, but to each their own. I agree there is some tact lacking, but I guess that's what to expect when you open yourself to opinions from strangers. However, "highfalutin' " just made me laugh out loud, and for that I thank you!

• Options
    imagebobbyme:

I'm not a fan od creative spellings typically, I think they leave a child open to years of correcting spelling and pronunciations, but to each their own. I agree there is some tact lacking, but I guess that's what to expect when you open yourself to opinions from strangers. However, "highfalutin' " just made me laugh out loud, and for that I thank you!

• Options
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

I don't care for "alternative" spellings, or made up names. The way I see it, every child is unique whether her name is Sally or dfsklJHJFKSHJK. The only difference is that Sally's name will grow well with her.

I do agree that many many many of the Baby Names posters have the same styles and over time it gets a little boring, as you can predict exactly what everyone will say but that's the nature of TB in general.

A person will grow into their name well regardless of it being Gillian or Jillian, Madyson or Madison. When you find a dfsklJHJFK, let me know because I will have been proven wrong.

I do agree about predictability being the nature of the bump.

• Options
    imageLauren9881:
    imagebobbyme:

lol. You're welcome. 

• Options
    imageLauren9881:
    imagebobbyme:

I know what you mean but I have an Irish name that everybody asks me to spell (Keegan). So I guess I'm just not that sensitive to my child having to spell her name when asked because I have a somewhat normal name with a traditional spelling and I still have to spell it all.the.time.

• Options
    So you were serious about Tawnessee?  :snort:
  • Options
    imagekegger620:
    imageLauren9881:
    imagebobbyme:

I know what you mean but I have an Irish name that everybody asks me to spell (Keegan). So I guess I'm just not that sensitive to my child having to spell her name when asked because I have a somewhat normal name with a traditional spelling and I still have to spell it all.the.time.

True! I'm Lauren, and that gets spelled creatively by others. Guess you are damned if you do and damned if you dont!

• Options

I love the word "waspy". 

That is all.  

• Options
    Tanasee isn't a name!!!1! ZOMG!!!ONE!!!
  • Options

imageilubmybaby:
    So you were serious about Tawnessee?  :snort:

You are welcome to that spelling lubby. I don't think it's taken yet.

• Options

imageDrinknDerive:
    Tanasee isn't a name!!!1! ZOMG!!!ONE!!!

ZOMG

• Options
    What I don't get is why others care if someone likes their name they picked out or not. I never asked anyone other than DH cause if someone didn't like it then to bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebobbyme:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

A person will grow into their name well regardless of it being Gillian or Jillian, Madyson or Madison. When you find a dfsklJHJFK, let me know because I will have been proven wrong.

I agree with these names. I guess I needed an example in your OP because I thought you were talking about REALLY unique names and spellings.
  • Options
    imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagebobbyme:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

I agree with these names. I guess I needed an example in your OP because I thought you were talking about REALLY unique names and spellings.

she wants to name her daughter stripperenessee 

• Options
    imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagebobbyme:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

I think I saw flames over Madyson, or some other name with a 'y' in place of an 'i'. I just don't think that's unique anymore.

There are plenty of ethnic names that probably wouldn't be well received by a few of the posters. Tanasee wasn't received well. It's a Native American name.

• Options

imageanabell0920:
    What I don't get is why others care if someone likes their name they picked out or not. I never asked anyone other than DH cause if someone didn't like it then to bad.

This too. This is the other side of the coin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"