Cincinnati Babies

Since Hav2Run and I are the only ones here tonight...

Can I get some advice on transitioning Jonah to milk, Becky? I vaguely remember reading some previous posts about not putting milk in the bottle, but using a sippy cup instead, so that he can differentiate between the two. Can I go from all formula to milk in a short period of time, or should it be gradual? I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing (much like pretty much every other day of parenting)...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Since Hav2Run and I are the only ones here tonight...

• I started around Nat's birthday. started in the bottle. Day one-1/4 milk 3/4 formula Day 2 1/2 and 1/2 Day 3 1/4 formula 3/4 milk. Day 4 milk.

Nat's belly didnt take to the milk at first so we held off for a few weeks and then switched straight over to milk maybe with a scoop of formula in it and she did just fine. Oh and we cold turkey stopped the bottles and went to sippy cups. She did well!! Sometimes when I feel like she isnt eating that well I put a scoop of formula in with her milk. Good luck!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LOL @ your post title.  I see some lurkers who are not posting. 

We started at 11 months.  DD was already using a straw cup, and we had the notion of stopping the bottles.  What we did was put milk in her bottle, and formula in her cups.  We figured nothing to lose if she decided the bottle of milk was yucky and went to all cups.  So we just gave her a bottle in the am and right before bed, with cow's milk.  She acted like nothing ever happened.  It was a very easy transition. 

Keep in mind that you need to watch the BMs and their food intake, and there is nothing wrong at all with adding a bottle of formula on days when they don't eat enough solids, or if you see hard BMs.  Just gradually start replacing a formula feed with milk.  If eating is not an issue, you can even sub a cup or bottle of water (or juice...I am guilty of that, and feel like it is not my biggest mommy failure).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageAngRx:

I started around Nat's birthday. started in the bottle. Day one-1/4 milk 3/4 formula Day 2 1/2 and 1/2 Day 3 1/4 formula 3/4 milk. Day 4 milk.

Nat's belly didnt take to the milk at first so we held off for a few weeks and then switched straight over to milk maybe with a scoop of formula in it and she did just fine. Oh and we cold turkey stopped the bottles and went to sippy cups. She did well!! Sometimes when I feel like she isnt eating that well I put a scoop of formula in with her milk. Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for the input! My husband mixed Jonah's oatmeal with whole milk on Sunday, and he didn't bat an eye. Then last night we tried to do a sippy cup of whole milk (no formula) and he acted like we were torturing him. So we warmed it up and put it in a bottle and he swalled it in about two seconds. Tonight I put warmed up milk in a sippy cup, and he drank it, but it took him about 3 times as long as it normally does for him to drink a bottle. I just don't want to feel like I'm doing something wrong, or like I should be doing it more gradually. He hasn't had any negative reactions so far. Again, thanks for the input - it really helps to hear about other people's experiences!

• imagehav2run:

LOL @ your post title.  I see some lurkers who are not posting. 

We started at 11 months.  DD was already using a straw cup, and we had the notion of stopping the bottles.  What we did was put milk in her bottle, and formula in her cups.  We figured nothing to lose if she decided the bottle of milk was yucky and went to all cups.  So we just gave her a bottle in the am and right before bed, with cow's milk.  She acted like nothing ever happened.  It was a very easy transition. 

Keep in mind that you need to watch the BMs and their food intake, and there is nothing wrong at all with adding a bottle of formula on days when they don't eat enough solids, or if you see hard BMs.  Just gradually start replacing a formula feed with milk.  If eating is not an issue, you can even sub a cup or bottle of water (or juice...I am guilty of that, and feel like it is not my biggest mommy failure).

I know! I see the lurkers, but I was starting to feel like we were the only ones posting/commenting for a minute there!

Once you got her to the two bottles, how did you eliminate the bottles entirely? I guess that's my fear - that he'll remain dependent on the bottle itself, regardless of what's inside.

Because I'm an idiot, what do you mean when you say to sub a cup of water or juice - sub it for a formula bottle, or sub it for a cup of milk?

• It does take them longer to drink milk.  It is not as sweet as formula, so they have to get used to the taste.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"