March 2011 Moms
Options

More curious than anything question... Probably Dumb :-)

Is it possible for the ultrasound dating/measurements to be behind by 6 weeks?

I think no, but here's why I'm asking:

I was having a conversation with a not so intelligent friend the other day about me finding out I was pregnant. I had some irregularities in my cycle the month or so before. It usually came at the end of the month - I got it 2 weeks early, very light in the middle of the month and took 2 HPTs just in case. It came back negative and I went on to have a full period so I didn't think anything of it. Well, the next middle of the month came around and nothing happened. So I took 3 tests and got my BFP. I told my OB about this and she didn't really say much about it. They took my measurements via 2 internal ultrasounds and I came back measuring right on track with a LMP of the middle of the month both times. My anatomy scan came back measuring right on track.

My not so intelligent friend jokingly suggested that my bump looked bigger than 24 weeks and maybe I was further along and couldn't tell because of my irregularities. I laughed and brushed her off.

This just got me wondering more than anything... Is that even possible? There is a lot that goes on during pregnancy in 6 weeks and I think that the advanced developments with LO would be extremely noticeable during ultrasounds.

Like I said... More curious than anything. It's a slow work day here and I'm bored. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: More curious than anything question... Probably Dumb :-)

• Options

I think that if you have had several early US then the dating could be +/- 2 weeks, but more than likely right on track.  I wouldn't put much thought into your unintelligent friend saying you look bigger than 24 weeks, she sounds like an idiot!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    6 weeks is an awful lot.  A week or two sure but that's over a month worth of development.  I agree with pp, I wouldn't think much of unintelligent friend.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say 6 weeks is completely impossible and your bump size really has nothing to do with how far along you are. My 2 cousins are pregnant and my bump has been very large compared to their practically nonexistent bumps. And all the babies are measuring the same.
  • Options

Generally the early ultrasounds are specifically for dating purposes - I'd definitely go with what your u/s results were considering they are comparable to your LMP.  At this stage in pregnancy, all babies develop slightly different, but at the beginning the dating is more accurate because most babies develop at the exact same rate. 

I wouldn't worry about your friend, she hasn't been to med school - has she??

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have read your post several times and if your ultrasounds were measuring with your middle of the month lmp, I dont even see where you'd get a 6 weeks difference. I know she is going by your bump but 6 weeks is a random sounding number or maybe I just am not reading something right.As far as your question, I agree with other pp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"