March 2011 Moms
Options

Good news, bad news, and TMI

Good news: I passed the 1 hour glucose test.

Bad news: My hemoglobin was 10.7 and it needs to be at least 11, which means I have to take iron supplements now... and they cause constipation.

TMI: I think he's head down now... when I pee, there's no longer a clean stream of urine- it's more like a sprayer that goes everywhere, which tells me he's pushing my bladder and making my pee come out really fast.

Re: Good news, bad news, and TMI

• Options
    Re your bad news: I got the same result. I started taking iron last week. I also increased my water in take by at least 32oz daily and I take a fiber supplement too. The first few days were pretty rough, but I focused on the water, and it's getting better. I did take colace once over the weekend.n. It gets better! Also, make sure you don't take anything containing calcium like you r multivitamin or tums within an hr of iron. Calcium interrupts iron absorption.
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options

I already drink 4-5 liters a day... so I doubt I can up it.

Can I take the iron at night? I take my vitamin in the morning.

What kind of fiber are you taking? The powder or a pill?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

TMI REPLY:

Taking iron pills for me has not been that bad really. I only honestly started to have harder stools lately since my daughter has been growing and I have just upped my fiber intake and as always eat fresh fruits (I have not had constipation at all however they do cause them to turn black).

I have been taking iron pills since 12 weeks and the hardening in stools started maybe around week 24/25?? I drink tons of water as well. I also make sure to only take my iron pills with a meal to eliminate that sick feeling and I take along with my prenatal to get them both out of the way for the day. You can take iron pills separately if you choose, just be sure to eat first. It's really just one more pill to take and if you already eat and live healthy it's not bad at all. You can do it Miss Janks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Google told me I could take it at night, but it might make heartburn worse, I haven't tried it yet. I thought taking it at night would help the gas pain I had originally, but decided the ability to take tums was more important for bed time. I take it between 3 and 4pm. I take fiber choice tablets with vitamin C (c improves absorption). The doc suggested chasing the iron with OJ. I drink about a gallon of water per day, I feel like I am never not drinking something (and the # of rr trips! Ugh!).
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options

Hmmm... I'm waiting on the pharmacy to get it ready, so I will ask when I pick it up.

I have kidney stones too, so I have to watch my vitamin C intake (makes stones).

I do eat 3-5 servings a fruit a day... on most days. Big Smile Today I had a banana, 2 clementine oragnes, and a bag of purple grapes. I love fruit!

The nurse said to eat more steak and hamburger, which I don't each much of, so I'll try that too. For the next 13 weeks I don't have to feel bad about eating fat hamburgers!

BTW- My mom said she was on iron with both of her pregnancies.

• Options
    i've been anemic since my first appointment (13 weeks or so) so i've been taking iron since then.  It hasn't been so bad, honestly.  I've been pretty regular.  I think it affects people differently.  I have been trying hard to eat more servings of red meat than usual.  pre-pregnancy, I tried to limit DH and I to two dinners a week.  Now I actually crave it! 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Regarding the pee - I've heard that since everything down there gets swollen due to the hormones, it makes your pee spray out in crazy directions. 
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Options

imageRed_Dahlia:
    Regarding the pee - I've heard that since everything down there gets swollen due to the hormones, it makes your pee spray out in crazy directions. 

Interesting. I really have to be careful when I hover now... it shoots out all over me. Nice. Stick out tongue

• Options
    imagemrsjanks:

imageRed_Dahlia:

Interesting. I really have to be careful when I hover now... it shoots out all over me. Nice. Stick out tongue

I was sitting, not hovering, on the toilet at work once a in the first tri, and I kid you not, my pee shot straight out of that little opening in the toilet seat and onto the floor. I was like WTF!?  ;) Then I read about the swelling causing the pee to spray and I felt much better. I was like, omg what kind of adult pees on the floor at work!!  LOL!

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Options

Ive been on iron both times. This time my iron was 11.5 but was told my hemoglobin would go down when your blood volume increases. Just eat a good bit of fiber and drink water and your bowels will be fine. Mine are still regular.

I take my iron in the morning with a glass of OJ (vitamin C increases iron absorption). I take my prenatal at night with a small snack or dinner.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started on iron before I was pregnant (I have a prescription prenatal that includes an iron supplement because my iron was low when I went for my checkup in May ... and we got pregnant in June). I really haven't noticed any issues with it. I have had some constipation during pregnancy but not until months after I started the iron.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"