Parenting

Am I out of line with my thinking?

DH's gma finally had her appt. with pain management. He prescribed a patch and if she has pain she can take percocet on top of it. He cleared her to fly to the wedding with us on Thursday (a whole other post).

I told DH that if she's well enough to fly and go out of town, then she's well enough to go home and we will have the heath aides help her at bedtime and for meal time.

Is this out of line? I'm not sure if my thinking is warped because I am just miserable with her here. 

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image

Re: Am I out of line with my thinking?

• It depends. How well is she able to do her ADL's (can she feed herself, get to the bathroom by herself, clean herself, is her home safe?)

I just wonder if the doc cleared her for the trip knowing that she was living with you all and would have your help, ya kno?

Hope she is able to move out soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH took her to the appt and told the dr she's with us. She can get dressed by herself, but needs help with her socks. She also needs help with meals and getting into bed. 

However, she has used a company for that help before. 

• Loading the player...
  • How long is she there? If long term, I'd look into getting her help. If short term, I'd try to suck it up.

I don't blame you for being annoyed and I would be too. But part of me can't help but thinking "imagine if i were old and sick and no body wanted me."...and then I feel bad and think she's prob miserable and lonely. The whole situation just sucks. I would NOT be happy in your shoes, either. But being her shoes would also suck.

• imageJen2124:

How long is she there? If long term, I'd look into getting her help. If short term, I'd try to suck it up.

I don't blame you for being annoyed and I would be too. But part of me can't help but thinking "imagine if i were old and sick and no body wanted me."...and then I feel bad and think she's prob miserable and lonely. The whole situation just sucks. I would NOT be happy in your shoes, either. But being her shoes would also suck.

She put herself in that position because she's so nasty to her sons. It's all a game to her and DH notices how she is now. I do feel bad that she really loves DH and he loves her, but she's pretty manipulative. 

• Also, the health aides would be a permanent fixture. She wants to be at home and they can and will help her there.
  • Get her a pair of flip flops, rent a few old movies, and leave her home (with a nurse/meal service).  You guys need to get away without grandma. Pronto.  

This is coming from a girl whose heart aches for the elderly and wants to hug every little old man she sees.  I ADORED my gma and DH's gma.  But if they were that nasty and demanding and picky, no way on this green earth would I want to get on a plane and travel with them after the couple weeks you've had.

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • She does sound horrible and I would have little patience for her, if any. But seriously, how long is she there? I would not be able to handle it long term, but if it's not long, I'd suck it up. It actually puts you in the worst spot out of anyone. I would be tempted to go stay somewhere else, but my parents are 10 minutes away...hehe.
  • You probably need to talk to the doctor about it.  I know she's more than a handful and your house is not equiped for her needs but she probably shouldn't be going home if she needs that much assistance. 

Sending you (((hugs))) and a virtual drink!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"