Special Needs

Can you share your transition tips?

Sophie had a REALLY hard time while we were at my parents house for Thanksgiving weekend.  I mentioned to her SLP this morning and she said it sounded more like her trouble with transitioning, and her PT agreed with that too.  I was just wondering if you had any tips that work for you?

Example: DD would do all her usual sensory seeking behavior, but it was like 3x worse, I couldn't even get her to wind down when I tried the usual sensory diet tips. She didn't nap AT ALL b/c it wasn't her bed and the house was too bright.  I even put a blanket over the window to make the room darker but she wasn't buying it.  So, I'm sure the lack of nap didn't help either.  Her OT has been working on transitioning during the sessions, and I will talk to her about it too when we see her tomm.

Oh, and her PT told me after talking about how she acted this weekend, that during the Psych Eval. they are going to focus on her behavior, so she wanted me to be prepared for those questions.  She is *speculating* that they are trying to see if she will need ABA as well, but she personally doesn't believe in it.  Huh?  I guess we will wait and see as usual.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can you share your transition tips?

• Thanks Auntie.  You always have words of wisdom :)   I spoke to her OT about what went on and she said when we go to people's houses, to let her jump on the bed, and just follow the sensory diet she gave us.  She hasn't had the Psych Eval. w/ IQ test yet, her EI Coordinator told me I would be getting a call this week to schedule it.  None of her Dr.'s or therapists think she has Autism, its all related to her Prematurity.  The one thing they are still keeping an eye out for though is ADD.
  • image-auntie-:

I would hesitate to encourage jumping on beds in the homes of other people. Seriously, that's a sure-fire way to become a social pariah.  Maybe bring a minitramp for longer visits.

Spot on advice!

No matter how "accepting" your friends or family seem to be of your child's special needs, behaviors such as jumping on beds is not widely appreciated and may be perceived as "unruly" behavior.  The more you create situations in which your child is given different expectations than a "typical" child, the more he/she will be treated by others as different.  If your child needs to jump, I would suggest a small trampoline or other alternative that does not involve your friends/family's furniture.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks again.  When she suggested jumping on the bed, I thought to myself yea right, thats gonna go over well. Confused  I love this board b/c of all the insigtful ideas you all have to share and I've learned SO much. Not just about DD, but about all the other medical issues and genetic disorders that are out there. I often feel a lil lost since I'm still new at all these new terms and the therapists use them like everyone in the world knows what they are talking about. 

When her PT mentioned about the ABA she said its mostly used on Autistic kids and those with severe behavior problems.  She didn't feel that DD exhibited any of these, but she thought maybe thats what they are looking for during the Psych Eval.  Her SLP also mentioned that the new studies for ABA are showing that Floor Time has better outcomes now too.

• I have 2 with ASD and my younger one is a sensory seeker.  For us the key is building in lots of little breaks from the overstimulation BEFORE we are in crisis mode.  So I agree with the OT that you have to make sure to continue the sensory diet while you are there, but that alone doesn't work if I'm trying to do deep pressure and the like in the midst of all of the other people.  What worked best for us was going outside, but if the weather doesn't cooperate with that, I think going to a quiet room is best. 

I also know his limits and will leave, which is hard esp. if others are pressuring you.  I also agree with the ladies above about jumping on beds.  Maybe bouncing on a yoga ball or a balance disc would work well.  FWIW, I find this age to be the hardest so far at family gatherings.  Its so much easier with my 4 yo now than it used to be at this age.

• imagebugmommy:

I have 2 with ASD and my younger one is a sensory seeker.  For us the key is building in lots of little breaks from the overstimulation BEFORE we are in crisis mode.  So I agree with the OT that you have to make sure to continue the sensory diet while you are there, but that alone doesn't work if I'm trying to do deep pressure and the like in the midst of all of the other people.  What worked best for us was going outside, but if the weather doesn't cooperate with that, I think going to a quiet room is best. 

I also know his limits and will leave, which is hard esp. if others are pressuring you.  I also agree with the ladies above about jumping on beds.  Maybe bouncing on a yoga ball or a balance disc would work well.  FWIW, I find this age to be the hardest so far at family gatherings.  Its so much easier with my 4 yo now than it used to be at this age.

Thanks, yes I did the joint compressions and it didn't help :(  We went outside a few times, even a car ride (hoping she would fall asleep) but that only calmed her down for a lil bit.  I really should have brought the big exercise ball so she could have layed on it and bounced on it, but I had already packed so much stuff up and just figured she would be ok since she's been there before. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"