Attachment Parenting
Options

comments from a friend

I just got off the phone with a very good friend who will be coming to visit soon. After a few comments she made, I'm a little worried about more to come when she's actually here. She's very young and does not have any children of her own, however, she does have a much younger brother that she has always helped to take care of, which probably makes her think she has authority to say things about parenting and what not. Plus, she is very outspoken. Anyway, I was telling her how Lyla hated her carseat and was screaming the whole time we had her in the car so we switched to a different one, and she said "well it's probably because she's so F***ing spoiled....you hold her all the time don't you?" I didn't really know what to say to that...I was like "Yes we hold her a lot. But I think she hated the bucket carseat probably bc she was in pain from her reflux. Now she is fine in her convertible carseat." Her comments are just so blunt. What would you say to her/how would you deal with someone like this? I need to prepare myself for her visit since I'm not a very quick or witty responder to people like this.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com

Re: comments from a friend

• Options
    Yikes.  I definitely respect people who don't beat around the bush and say what they feel but that comment does seem kind of harsh, especially since she doesn't have any kids.  I know it's hard to take it with a grain of salt, since she's your friend, but I guess just be prepared to let things roll off your back.  Perhaps come up with a quick, yet enlightening response to similar comments.  Or just explain to her why you do things the way you do and refer her to some reading material.  I know my friends who don't have kids thought I was a little odd at first but I've explained my methods and they've learned to respect it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

um, i think i would say something along the lines of "are you f*cking kidding me, you can't spoil a baby, dimwit." but i don't necessarily think that's the best way to handle the situation.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe you could nicely point out that "helping" with her brother does not equate to having a children. I helped with my brothers (there is a 20 year difference there) and it is not the same as having your own kid.

Also, explain to her attachment, how attachment works, and that your parenting is not up for discussion.

• Options

First of all, good luck. Secondly, however, she may surprise you by not having much more to say when she is actually with you. A friend of mine who is notoriously outspoken about everything and anything came to stay with us last December and was surprisingly effusive about how cute and well-behaved DD was, with not a word to say about how we "spoil" her or any of the other things I feared.

By the way, your friend would probably die a slow death if she found out we only ever used our infant car seat TWICE (and one of those times was coming home from the hospital) because DD hated it so much. She hated the stroller, too, so we basically carried her or wore her everywhere for the first 6 or 7 months of her life.  

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesomeflower6:

um, i think i would say something along the lines of "are you f*cking kidding me, you can't spoil a baby, dimwit." but i don't necessarily think that's the best way to handle the situation.

lol, this!! I have friends who have said similiar things to me, and although I don't cuss back at them, I am usually pretty blunt about my feelings. I fyou don't want to be quite so rude, lol, you could always do the whole "This is what works best for our family, when you have kids you can decide what works best for you."

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageanna7602:

First of all, good luck. Secondly, however, she may surprise you by not having much more to say when she is actually with you. A friend of mine who is notoriously outspoken about everything and anything came to stay with us last December and was surprisingly effusive about how cute and well-behaved DD was, with not a word to say about how we "spoil" her or any of the other things I feared.

By the way, your friend would probably die a slow death if she found out we only ever used our infant car seat TWICE (and one of those times was coming home from the hospital) because DD hated it so much. She hated the stroller, too, so we basically carried her or wore her everywhere for the first 6 or 7 months of her life.  

I was wondering/hoping the same thing about her being different when she is actually here.

DD hates her stroller now too, I used it to take her on little walks and now that's not really possible anymore, plus I think it's better to wear her at this age anyhow so she can see things around her. When she's in the bucket seat in her stroller she can't see anything besides me.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    imageCinnamonBun:

Maybe you could nicely point out that "helping" with her brother does not equate to having a children. I helped with my brothers (there is a 20 year difference there) and it is not the same as having your own kid.

Also, explain to her attachment, how attachment works, and that your parenting is not up for discussion.

I agree. I'm definitely going to have to do some explaining to her when she is here, bc I know for a fact she doesn't know anything about AP. 

• Options
    imageAliciaCM:
    imagesomeflower6:

lol, this!! I have friends who have said similiar things to me, and although I don't cuss back at them, I am usually pretty blunt about my feelings. I fyou don't want to be quite so rude, lol, you could always do the whole "This is what works best for our family, when you have kids you can decide what works best for you."

LOL

• Options

I would have said "She's not spoiled, she's a baby! When you have kids of your own, I'm not going to criticize your decisions so please don't criticize mine."

I hope everything goes well when she visits, but if she says anything else that bugs you just tell her. She may not even know she's being hurtful.

DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Options
    imageprincessjenney:

I would have said "She's not spoiled, she's a baby! When you have kids of your own, I'm not going to criticize your decisions so please don't criticize mine."

I hope everything goes well when she visits, but if she says anything else that bugs you just tell her. She may not even know she's being hurtful.

Very true. Thanks- I hope it goes well too.  

• Options

imagefredalina:
    I don't think you owe her an explanation (and might be wasting your breath and opening yourself up for an argument if you try). I also wouldn't "momjack' her with the old "when you have kids, you'll understand" line because A) it's dismissive, B) it could be hurtful if she wants to be a mom now but can't, and C) she may not "understand" when she has kids. Lots of moms feel that babies can be "spoiled" by holding them too much.

Personally, I wouldn't discuss parenting with her. Just do your thing and if she comments negatively, react according to the degree of negativity. "It's probably because she's used to being held" = "Interesting." "It's probably because she spoiled since you hold her all the time" = "I disagree". "It's because she's so f*ing spoiled because you hold her all the time" = "I don't like when you criticize my parenting, or use swear words about my daughter, or use negative words like 'spoiled'. You don't have to agree with me but you can keep your comments to yourself."

Thanks...actually she is a pretty argumentative and stubborn person,  so we probably would end up getting into it if I got too preachy...I'm just going to have to keep my cool and I like the idea of reacting to the degree of her comments.

I like the word 'momjack' LOL I have never heard that one before 

• Options

I'd tell her to keep her comments to herself or to take a long walk off a short cliff. 

I just have very little patience for people who feel it's ok to make comments like that.

• Options
    imageanna7602:

This.  I have a friend who has nannied for 20+ years w/out kids of her own and thinks she has parenting all figured out.   She had nothing but fabulous things to say about how well I was doing with M and on and on.  She then went on to *assume* this was all because I had a strict schedule, let him CIO, didn't hold him all the time, didn't feed on demand etc.   It was great :-)  

• Options
    imagekwinters87:

I'd tell her to keep her comments to herself or to take a long walk off a short cliff. 

I just have very little patience for people who feel it's ok to make comments like that.

LOL!! 

• Options
    imageWyoGal:
    imageanna7602:

This.  I have a friend who has nannied for 20+ years w/out kids of her own and thinks she has parenting all figured out.   She had nothing but fabulous things to say about how well I was doing with M and on and on.  She then went on to *assume* this was all because I had a strict schedule, let him CIO, didn't hold him all the time, didn't feed on demand etc.   It was great :-)  

Wow!! That is great.

• Options
    On the upside, this thread is helping get your post count up!
  • Options
    imagesomeflower6:

Ding Ding Ding, lol.  

I did this.  Minus the "f*in kidding" part, replacing "dimwit" with "you moron."

:(

I guess I'm kind of blunt too.  

If you're looking for the nice thing to say, how about "Food spoils when you forget about it and leave it in the fridge for 2 months.  Kids are like peaches; eat 'em up while they're fresh!"

• Options

Or, circumvent the whole thing and make this your FB profile pic for a week.  :)

https://theparentingpit.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/final_atparent.jpg

• Options

Obviously you are friends with this chick for a reason so I'm going to assume she isn't a total beeotch.

I have a friend who was exactly like this when J was small. She has no kids, she just think she knows everything. :)

I blew her off a few times, but I eventually snapped and told her exactly what I though of CIO, etc and that we were AP'ers. And she was confused. I never really talked about my parenting philosophy with her as she has no kids and she really just didn't get why everyone didn't CIO, etc.

So I told her, and continue to tell her whenever she raises an eyebrow. And she has been really receptive and interested in AP parenting. No, I don't have to explain anything to her, but I have no problem telling anyone why I believe what I believe and that I take parenting my boys very seriously.

I know she still thinks I'm a little strange, like J weaning himself at 3, but now she not only gets AP, but respects me and my parenting enough to ask a question if she's curious or keep her yap shut if she doesn't agree. She even asks to wear S whenever we go out together,  

Soooo, I would give your friend the benefit of the doubt. If she makes another comment like that tell her honestly why you feel that you can't spoil a baby and that holding her constantly is part of your parenting philosophy not a bad habit.

I do think that those without kids don't really *get* that stupid comments like that can be really hurtful and not just like "Oh you should use X detergent, its so much better". YKWIM?

• Options

as my daughters pediatrician said "to spoil means to leave alone to rot" spoiling a child would be the opposite of holding them all the time. A baby needs to be held and loved and there is nothing wrong with holding your baby even if its all the time. My mother would give me hell when my daughter was a newborn and I would hold her all the time even when she slept.

If i were in your situation I would probably just tell her that what she said was hurtful and disrespectful and it wont be tolerated. Friends are friends and sometimes they think they can say just about anything but there are boundries and I dont let anyone cross the line when it comes to my child

• Options
    She sounds like a bully. I have had "friends" like this and the only way to deal with them is to be point blank right back but respectful.

If she says "well its probably because you hold her all the f**in time dont you?"

Say " Excuse me? I would appreciate it if you would speak to me in a respectful way. Thanks. And yes we do hold her but I feel her screaming was due to ectect......"

That comment you wrote just sounds soooo rude. Tell her to talk to you like a respectful adult or not at all. Dont let her bully you. Ugh I dont understand where ppl get off talking to thier "friends" that way.
  • Options

imagekwinters87:
    On the upside, this thread is helping get your post count up!

Haha you're right! yay! 

• Options
    imageerinkate23:

Or, circumvent the whole thing and make this your FB profile pic for a week.  :)

https://theparentingpit.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/final_atparent.jpg

That is awesome! Love it. 

• Options
    imagemonksmama:

Obviously you are friends with this chick for a reason so I'm going to assume she isn't a total beeotch.

I have a friend who was exactly like this when J was small. She has no kids, she just think she knows everything. :)

I blew her off a few times, but I eventually snapped and told her exactly what I though of CIO, etc and that we were AP'ers. And she was confused. I never really talked about my parenting philosophy with her as she has no kids and she really just didn't get why everyone didn't CIO, etc.

So I told her, and continue to tell her whenever she raises an eyebrow. And she has been really receptive and interested in AP parenting. No, I don't have to explain anything to her, but I have no problem telling anyone why I believe what I believe and that I take parenting my boys very seriously.

I know she still thinks I'm a little strange, like J weaning himself at 3, but now she not only gets AP, but respects me and my parenting enough to ask a question if she's curious or keep her yap shut if she doesn't agree. She even asks to wear S whenever we go out together,  

Soooo, I would give your friend the benefit of the doubt. If she makes another comment like that tell her honestly why you feel that you can't spoil a baby and that holding her constantly is part of your parenting philosophy not a bad habit.

I do think that those without kids don't really *get* that stupid comments like that can be really hurtful and not just like "Oh you should use X detergent, its so much better". YKWIM?

Yep. My friend definitely thinks she knows everything. 

• Options

imagejackieobride:
    She sounds like a bully. I have had "friends" like this and the only way to deal with them is to be point blank right back but respectful.

If she says "well its probably because you hold her all the f**in time dont you?"

Say " Excuse me? I would appreciate it if you would speak to me in a respectful way. Thanks. And yes we do hold her but I feel her screaming was due to ectect......"

That comment you wrote just sounds soooo rude. Tell her to talk to you like a respectful adult or not at all. Dont let her bully you. Ugh I dont understand where ppl get off talking to thier "friends" that way.

I know. That is the way she is. I don't get it either, bc I don't talk to any of my friends like that. She is just a hard person to stand up to I guess, and I think she knows that. 

• Options
    imagemytwobabies:

as my daughters pediatrician said "to spoil means to leave alone to rot" spoiling a child would be the opposite of holding them all the time. A baby needs to be held and loved and there is nothing wrong with holding your baby even if its all the time. My mother would give me hell when my daughter was a newborn and I would hold her all the time even when she slept.

i heart this.

• Options
    I've had to explain attachment parenting and the benefits to my sisters. They think we're spoling LO I tell them we are just very attentive to his needs and respond immediately.
  • Options

If it helps, I have a very close friend who is also very young. She's says stupid things all the time. But in the end, I have found that she also says things about how much she respects my choices.

Good luck. In the end, you are the parent. Tell her that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"