Two Under 2
Options

2U1....What is it like??

Give me some tips- any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2U1....What is it like??

• Options

Natalie and Dominic are 12months 4 days apart, so not quite 2U1, but close.   

This age difference is seriously not bad at all.    Natalie is an incredibly easy going kid, though.   That helps.  I also have a now 4 year old (she's the most trying of them all!).   

Tips:    1.  Get a BIG gate.    I have a gate that blocks in my whole living room (which is where the kids play most of the time).   When I was feeding Dominic, I sit in the living room and keep Natalie confined in there as well via the gate.  She plays, Dominic eats.   Helps a ton!!    Olivia comes and goes as she pleases from the gate, but she easily entertains herself.

2.  Relax.   Seriously.    Don't stress about the little things beyond your control.  There is no point in worrying if the dishes are done or if the bathroom is spic and span.    Just take it easy for the first while and just do what you can while still maintaining sanity:)      I had a hard time in the beginning, because for some stupid reasons, I had it in my head that I needed to be super mom.   We had visitors sometimes, I me being me, wanted the house spotless so I looked like I was handling everything just fine.... the thing is, I wasn't.  I was adding extra stress to my life, that I just didn't need by playing this ridiculous part.

3.   Find some 'adult' time during each day for your sanity.    Mine is this:  coffee and the internet.    If I don't take a breather for myself (even if it's only 10 minutes) to have a cup of coffee and surf the net, I think I'd go nuts.    It's doable.    I usually can squeeze in a bit of time for myself if I can get the littlest ones napping at the same time.....  Or, if they are playing quietly in the living room.

The first 2 months were my hardest, but after that we kind of fell into a routine.   It gets better and right now I LOVE it.    I wouldn't want it any other way.     I went back to substitute teaching about 5 weeks after I had Dominic.... that was kind of dumb.   There was no reason for me to do so.  Again, I wanted to look like I was more than merely surviving...... Please don't fall into that trap..  Remember, that it's okay to just survive each day.    You'll enjoy yourself more if you just go day by day!!!

• Options

Mine are exactly 49 weeks apart.  The older one is 14 months and the younger is 12.5 weeks.  Life is much easier now that the little guy is sleeping through the night.  I've had help (6 hours a day) which has been the best gift ever from my parents.  I firmly believe that is what has kept me sane.  Tomorrow is my first day alone all day.  We'll see how it goes.

To answer OP's question...It's doable.  I don't know any different so I don't know what further apart would be like.  Some days I feel like I don't get a minute to myself to even pee, but then somedays they both take a nap at the same time.  I stopped worrying a long time ago about my house being clean.  If a guest doesn't like it, they can clean it themselves.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine are 5.5 months apart....of course that is a rare case but to me it was easy the closer they were bc K wasn't walking yet when E came.  I would lay them both down on the ground and feed them and pretty soon they got on the same feeding schedule.  Also they are now the BEST of friends, its pretty awesome.  I wouldn't want it any other way! =)

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Options

These two are 12 months - 4 days apart.  Here are a few tips:

-put baby #2 down when you can.  I obnoxiously loved holding DD all the time and I just couldn't do that with DS, so into the swing he went.  It isn't until recently that he's not content to sit in there a few times a day.

-everyone will tell you to go to the little one first if both wake up at the same time.  I disagree.  This was something I was very worried about, and it just sort of happened that DS was content to have me put him down and go take care of DD.  It was faster to do that then take care of him and risk her being up for good at 1 am becuase I didn't go to her in time.

-coffee.  or something with caffeine (if you aren't breastfeeding)

-before DS was born, I eased up on holding/playing with DD all the time.  The last several weeks, she almost always had independent play time.  I didn't want her used to me playing with her, then being gone for a few days, then having another baby and not paying attention to her.  It worked pretty well.

-good kids movies/tv shows on DVD for when you are nursing/feeding LO #2.  

• Options

The first year is all about survival.  If it's not essential, don't bother with it!

Routine was essential for us, especially since I went back to work when DD was 13 months old and DS was 7 weeks old.  

I thought I loved my ring sling and my mei tai carriers when DD was a baby; I REALLY loved them with DS!  When we were shopping or out and about, I'd put DS in a carrier and put DD in the cart or the stroller.  It made things a lot easier for me, especially in those first few months when DD wasn't walking yet.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

mine are 2 days shy of 12 months apart. Crying will not hurt them, try not to get flustered when they both are hysterical, it will happen a lot, Go take care of the big one first.

Talk to the big LO about everything you do, let him/her "help" you with everything..basically just include them in your day to day routine.

Accept all the help thats offered, even if its from MIL,lol.

remember whatever the problem is, IT WILL PASS! 

Get a double stroller and take them walking often.

Dont panic, its totally worth it, although very difficult. 

• Options

My twins were 14 months actual but 12 months adjusted when DD2 was born. The hardest part is that the twins don't understand if I have to walk away to get the baby but at least they are used to sharing me!

What helps is being super organized. GL!

Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options
    Oh yea- hands down best thing you can do is GET A SLING!!!!!
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"