May 2011 Moms
Options

Q? for those PG & seeing a Chiropracter

So I found a chiropracter and looked over their website, everything looked good- she was certified in Webster Technique, specialized in women & peds... When I get there for my 1st appt. it's her husband, also a Chriopracter who sees patients since she recently quit working to be a SAHM (they have a 4  yo, 18 month old, and 4 month old).  He obviouslly knows about PG from his wife and schooling, but I was put off by the fact that for my 1st adjustment, he had me laying down ON MY BELLY- it was quite uncomfortable.  This is my 3rd child, so I LOOK 20+ weeks PG even though I'm only 15w, but I thought it was weird he had done my adjustments that way, pushing down on my spine while I was on my belly...

When I went to a chiro for baby #1, he did adjustments while I was sitting down and/or laying on my side, NEVER asked me to lie on belly ??!

If you go to a chiro, how does your doc adjust you- laying on side, sitting up, or on belly.

Re: Q? for those PG & seeing a Chiropracter

• Options
    Mine had been doing adjustments with me lying on my side or back.  But the physical therapy he does is on my back and belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My fianc? is in school to be an RMT, he put me on my side for massages, and says we preggos shouldn't be on our tummy because the pressure. So I'd say the same goes for chiro.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine does my adjustments on my back and belly but not my side anymore.  I'm not showing much yet so it hasn't been a problem.  He said when my belly gets bigger he'll be able to drop down the middle part of the table to accommodate my belly.  Maybe yours will do the same when you are showing more?  Feel free to ask him!
  • Options
    my chiro drops down the middle section of the table so that it's not even touching my stomach and always asks if i feel any pressure.
  • Options
    I'm a chiropractor. True Webster technique starts with the patient face down, although special pillows should be used to cushion the belly. The table can be altered so there's plenty of room for the belly if there are no pillows. The second part of Webster technique can be done face down using a drop table or on your side, depending on doctor and patient preference. The third part is done face up or on your side, depending on how far along you are. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    My chiropractor has me lay face down (using a drop down table), side lying, and on my back. Ask him if he can use the drop down table
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrsJuicy2B:
    I'm a chiropractor. True Webster technique starts with the patient face down, although special pillows should be used to cushion the belly. The table can be altered so there's plenty of room for the belly if there are no pillows. The second part of Webster technique can be done face down using a drop table or on your side, depending on doctor and patient preference. The third part is done face up or on your side, depending on how far along you are. Hope that helps!

Thanks, Doc!  This is similar to what happened, the 1st and 2nd were with me laying face down, the 3rd was flat on back.  The table wasn't altered and we didn't use pillows, maybe he doesn't think my bump is that big, but the pressure was not comfortable at all.  Also, he performs all adjustments in the center of the entire office- he has a "therapy" room where people do exercises and get adjustments, not in private exam rooms, this is strange- is this common?  THANKS!

• Options
    imageaudrey79:

Thanks, Doc!  This is similar to what happened, the 1st and 2nd were with me laying face down, the 3rd was flat on back.  The table wasn't altered and we didn't use pillows, maybe he doesn't think my bump is that big, but the pressure was not comfortable at all.  Also, he performs all adjustments in the center of the entire office- he has a "therapy" room where people do exercises and get adjustments, not in private exam rooms, this is strange- is this common?  THANKS!

I would let him know how uncomfortable you were. There are a bunch of ways to adapt things so that you should be comfortable during the whole process. Maybe he didn't realize how far along you were. A lot of men are clueless about what weeks mean in pregnancy. As far as the open treatment areas, that's totally doctor preference. I've worked in open offices and offices with individual treatment rooms. I think the open rooms are more fun to work in as long as there are private areas available for exams and private conversations. I think it can be fun as a patient too because you can interact with the other patients and meet new people. If you're really uncomfortable with the whole experience, there's nothing wrong with checking out a couple of different clinics. I've been doing that with dentists. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right fit. Good luck!

• Options
    On my belly, but the table adjusts (drops the top half) so that there's no weight on my belly. He also uses the activator tool and doesn't adjust "by hand" - it's all very gentle.
  • Options
    I saw one who used a table with the middle dropping out - so it wasn't an issue. My current one had my lay on my side or back  - he was seriously crazy-concerned about my level of comfort - which I loved!!!
  • Options
    well mine does it on my back with a belly pillow underneath. He just does a light spinal adjustment on my back and then two adjustments on my side. I do not feel that it is an issue at all. I feel comfortable and if I didnt im sure he would accomodate. did you tell your chiropractor you were uncomfortable?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"