Baby Showers

Prize for a diaper raffle?

Can anyone give me ideas on an appropriate prize for a diaper raffle?  I was thinking a gift certificate but am unsure on what the amount should be.  My best friend is hosting our shower but I told her I would get the prize since she is already spending so much money on the shower.  I think there will be about 20 people at the shower and I don't know how many of them will be bringing diapers for the raffle.

Thanks!

Leslie 

Re: Prize for a diaper raffle?

• I would say $10-20.  Like PP said, about what a pack of diapers would cost.  Although I don't think that a diaper raffle is inappropriate.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBallSox:
    Something at least the value of the diapers + the value of subjecting your friends and family to something as tacky as a diaper raffle.

My thoughts exactly.

• I know at my shower they did the prize as a gift card for a gas station because everyone uses gas. I do not think it is tacky, as long as it is not the only thing the shower is about! I had enough diapers to last almost the whole first year. People thought to bring different sizes from registry too. I did not have to buy diapers for a long time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The prize at showers I've attended (that had the diaper raffle) have been in the $20-25 range.  Either a gift card or a basket of stuff.  I once won a gas gift card for $25 and loved it!

• Check out BJ's, seriously. Borrow someones membership card if you have to. I was there last night and they have beautiful edible gift towers from Harry & David & higher end chocolate companies. They were all between 10-30$. I got my husband this mixed tower from Harry & David for $20.00 and the containers are gorgeous.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekdodge423:

imageCorts:
    Check out BJ's, seriously. Borrow someones membership card if you have to. I was there last night and they have beautiful edible gift towers from Harry & David & higher end chocolate companies. They were all between 10-30$. I got my husband this mixed tower from Harry & David for $20.00 and the containers are gorgeous.

1) What the eff is BJ's?

2) Not everyone can eat candy (or likes chocolate). That present is hell for a diabetic.

1. BJ's is a warehouse store like Sams Club.

2. Obviously, if you know there are a bunch of diabetics attending your shower, this gift is not a good idea. But what are the odds of 1 diabetic winning a candy tower? And I've seen them offered as door prizes at plenty of parties.

The food towers from BJ's also had nuts, pocorn, pretzels, ect. Will that throw someone into a sugar induced coma, too?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've always advocated "food" for favors.  If the person receiving it can't eat it there is usually someone in the family that can.  As for the food tower idea from H&D's for a larger "prize"...they are very nice.  Plus like the pp said, they have nuts and popcorn in them as well as the candy.  They can always regift them because the containers are really nice.  I know they have similar things at Sams and Costco.  Personally, I prefer gift cards because even though the recipient has to go to a certain store, restaurant, gas station, etc. they get to choose what to spend it on.  KWIM?
  • I gave away a basket of high-end hair products and hair clips/ties.  BIG HIT amongst my tacky friends. Stick out tongue
  • please explain a diaper raffle...sorry, never heard of it and I'm having my own showers soon and hosting a friends right after mine...
  • We are doing one as well, and I think a reasonable gift would be about $20-$25.00. We were thinking about doing a manicure gift certificate or a little relaxation gift set. They have nice sets out right now especially since Christmas is coming up!

• BallSox said:
    Something at least the value of the diapers + the value of subjecting your friends and family to something as tacky as a diaper raffle.

Complaining about buying an 8 dollar pack of diapers is totally not tacky!

My goodness all you negative Nancy's suck the fun out of EVERYTHING!!

Now to answer your question, I am making a big wine themed basket and a 25 dollar gift car to eat out. We are having two winners! I am so glad that my family is full of the type of people who want to help the mommy to be prepare for her baby. I would be so sad if I was surrounded by women and family like the ones on these threads!

• RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited June 2014
    Ew.

Holy crap. This thread is 4 effing years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"