Breastfeeding

What does a nursing strike look like?

I'm wondering what a nursing strike looks like cause I feel like I might be battling one. DD has been congested and has had a cold (which she caught from her daddy) and has fought eating despite crying because she is hungry. Is this a nursing strike? Also any advice on how to get her to eat without a ton of fuss?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What does a nursing strike look like?

• I think she's too young for a nursing strike and isn't eating b/c she's having difficulty.  Have you tried using saline and suctioning her nose?  Propping up her crib/bassinette mattress a bit?  Cool mist humidifier?  You also may want to try to get your let down going for her before putting her to your breast (if you can) so she doesn't have to suck so much to get it started, which is probably difficult for her if she has a stuffy nose.

How are her diapers???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She hasn't had as many wet diapers as normal today but I've been more concerned about the intake since it takes a long time to get her to feed if she does at all. We have been suctioning and using a humidifier all day. She also sleeps in a rock n play which is constructed on an incline. I haven't figured out how to really administer saline to her so I haven't tried that. Advice on that would be appreciated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey!  The way I was told to do it is hold one of their nostrils closed and then gently insert the saline and give 1 squirt.  Do you have a pump?  Could you try giving her bottles until she clears up?  Good luck, you are doing a great job and too bad you have to have the "sick baby" mommy test so early in the game!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • saline helped when dd was sick.  Just put the point in her nose and squirt.  I find it helps suction and even helps without being suctioned.  The nurse said I could use it every hour if needed.  You could also try feeding in a steamy bathroom.
  • My DD had a cold/ear infection last week and was going through the same issue.  We used the nasal saline spray.  Some of the feedings I had to almost nurse her sitting straight up so she didn't have any pressure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"